Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
boosted ESC & 17.5 motor in modified class? >

boosted ESC & 17.5 motor in modified class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

boosted ESC & 17.5 motor in modified class?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default boosted ESC & 17.5 motor in modified class?

Looking at getting a new ESC and 17.5 motor (specifically orion r10 pro) for my 2wd short course truck, as my local track runs mostly stock (17.5 with no boost/timing) short course.

However, I don't want to limit myself down the road if I want to be able to run 2wd modified short course at future races.

Looking at lap times from local races (big track at motorama in pa and small local track), seems that 2wd stock is very close to 2wd mod. Would I be competitive in 2wd modified if I used a 17.5 motor and boosted my ESC? Seems that I would, even on a straightaway.

thanks
Old 02-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I run my Tekin RS/ Team Epic Duo 3 17.5t in my sc10 in both mod and stock. I usually put down a faster qualifier in stock class, and I run no boost in either. I can switch to a boosted profile with the push of a button and have done so a few times and to me its just a little harder to drive, Hence the quicker times in stock. To me a Boosted 17.5t is just not at smooth as a 13.5 or 10.5 so its harder to drive consistent. But to answer yes I beleive at many smaller indoor tracks you can run the same truck,same motor and even the same settings in stock and mod classes. Now outdoors or larger tracks I doubt you will keep up in mod class. BTW I run 75/25 for a FDR of 7.8 and have the timing on my motor cranked up, but either boosted or not I never have any heat issues.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by trickedout
I run my Tekin RS/ Team Epic Duo 3 17.5t in my sc10 in both mod and stock. I usually put down a faster qualifier in stock class, and I run no boost in either. I can switch to a boosted profile with the push of a button and have done so a few times and to me its just a little harder to drive, Hence the quicker times in stock. To me a Boosted 17.5t is just not at smooth as a 13.5 or 10.5 so its harder to drive consistent. But to answer yes I beleive at many smaller indoor tracks you can run the same truck,same motor and even the same settings in stock and mod classes. Now outdoors or larger tracks I doubt you will keep up in mod class. BTW I run 75/25 for a FDR of 7.8 and have the timing on my motor cranked up, but either boosted or not I never have any heat issues.
thanks. this is what I thought. I'd basically probably only run 2wd mod short course a couple of times a year on a big track. maybe I could run boosted in mod and use my exponential for throttle on my controller control it better in the turns so that the boost mostly helps in the straightways. Thoughts?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I think a lot of it may be how the track is configured.

I am running Novak 17.5 Ballistics with Speed Passion GT2.0 based ESCs. I run in an open class for 2wd truck and 2wd SCT. This is on a very tight carpet track with jumps that have little run up.

The actual speed I am getting out of the motor is perfect for the track, I am not lacking in that department, but compared to the other motors being ran (8.5s, etc) I am getting out punched over jumps. If I don't setup my line right to get the proper run-up, I won't clear the jumps properly versus the other cars just punching right over the jump (and sometimes into the wall )

I have tried playing with gearing settings to no avail.

Nice thing though, with a simple stator swap can be back in the hunt.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

Before my local tracks put a end to the 17.5 w/boost class I was having a great time running my xxx-sct in boosted 17.5 and mod. It didnt have the punch like mentioned above but it could hang. With a regular club race night at wcrc reaching 20 heats sometimes it was a great way to stay in the zone.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Suspended

It would really depend on two factors. Who are you racing against, and what do you want to do in mod. There are two tracks located in my area. At the one track I am consistently the fastest driver there, I can pretty much guarantee that whatever class I sign up for, that I will win. This is the track that is the closer of the two, and is the one that I consider my home track. The other track is a different story. Three of the fast guys from that track went to the Reedy race this year. One made the A in 4wd open, and TQed a round of 2wd. One guy made tha A in 2wd open, and the last guy ran the invite class. There are about three more guys down at that track that can run their pace, in other words the talent is very deep. Now with all of that being said, if I ran a boosted 17.5 in mod at my home track, I would have a very good shot at winning the mod class, and putting down a faster time than the stock (blinky) guys. If I went and tried to run a boosted 17.5 against some of the top drivers in the country that don't get paid to race toy cars (the guys at the other track) I would be several laps down. It is true that a boosted 17.5 is fast, but it doesn't have the bottom end grunt of a 7.5 (the motor that most of the guys run in their 2wd buggies, including me when I run mod). It also comes down to what you want to do in mod too. I want to win at my home track, and lap the entire field. A 7.5 makes this a lot easier. My goal at the other track is to finish on the same lap as the leader, which when the leader is one of the top 20 non-paid drivers in the country, that is a pretty good goal. My home track had a big race last weekend, and the new layout went in the week before. A couple of the fast guys from the other track came up to race the new layout. It was a points series race so I was running 13.5 and they were running mod. The winner in the mod class (guy that made the A in 4wd at Reedy) was 2 seconds away from doing 18 laps. I won the 13.5 class and barely did 17 laps. Thats right same lap as the mod winner with a 13.5, only barely though. You could run boosted 17.5 in mod, but I wouldn't!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Suspended

Oh the one guy didn't just make the A in 4wd open, he got 3rd. So yeah deep talent where I race.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain

Nice thing though, with a simple stator swap can be back in the hunt.
This is becoming quite the problem at our track. Because of the lack of tech in our new STOCK blinky 17.5t class many run a novak 17.5t motor but swap in a 13.5 stator and it goes unnoticed. Its quite simple to check tho as all novak stators are color coded and visible on the back of the motor. Another problem I have seen is There is no pre race tech for Blinky mode so many guys run the qualifiers in mod settings and then get the TQ, and then just run blinky for the main when they will be tech'd. But like others said, it depends on the track layout, and what skill level you are racing against. I don't goto the track just to win, I goto enjoy myself and get as much practice as I can so being able to run multiple classes with the cost of only 1 truck helps alot, and I can run top 5 in both classes.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

I
Originally Posted by h8thatadmin
It would really depend on two factors. Who are you racing against, and what do you want to do in mod. There are two tracks located in my area. At the one track I am consistently the fastest driver there, I can pretty much guarantee that whatever class I sign up for, that I will win. This is the track that is the closer of the two, and is the one that I consider my home track. The other track is a different story. Three of the fast guys from that track went to the Reedy race this year. One made the A in 4wd open, and TQed a round of 2wd. One guy made tha A in 2wd open, and the last guy ran the invite class. There are about three more guys down at that track that can run their pace, in other words the talent is very deep. Now with all of that being said, if I ran a boosted 17.5 in mod at my home track, I would have a very good shot at winning the mod class, and putting down a faster time than the stock (blinky) guys. If I went and tried to run a boosted 17.5 against some of the top drivers in the country that don't get paid to race toy cars (the guys at the other track) I would be several laps down. It is true that a boosted 17.5 is fast, but it doesn't have the bottom end grunt of a 7.5 (the motor that most of the guys run in their 2wd buggies, including me when I run mod). It also comes down to what you want to do in mod too. I want to win at my home track, and lap the entire field. A 7.5 makes this a lot easier. My goal at the other track is to finish on the same lap as the leader, which when the leader is one of the top 20 non-paid drivers in the country, that is a pretty good goal. My home track had a big race last weekend, and the new layout went in the week before. A couple of the fast guys from the other track came up to race the new layout. It was a points series race so I was running 13.5 and they were running mod. The winner in the mod class (guy that made the A in 4wd at Reedy) was 2 seconds away from doing 18 laps. I won the 13.5 class and barely did 17 laps. Thats right same lap as the mod winner with a 13.5, only barely though. You could run boosted 17.5 in mod, but I wouldn't!
You are pretty humble about your driving ability dude! Eaglesrx is talking about running a couple times a year in mod sc and his boosted truck should do fine. He is not telling us he wants to make a career out of beating mod guys with his boosted sc.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

thanks everyone for the information. While I do like the prospects of having the fastest motor out there in order to potentially drive with the top drivers in 2wd mod, as stated earlier, I just want to mostly run 2wd stock and on the occasion run 2wd mod. When I do run 2wd mod, I'm fine if I'm just competitive. If I get to the point where I may be able to keep with the chad due and the other pro guys, then I'll get a 2nd 2wd truck to run a 6.5 motor.

Plus, I'm actually going to focus on getting the fastest motor possible for my 4wd. So, I'll get my speed satisfaction there.

Thanks everyone for all very useful comments.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Addict

You can if the track is small and technical. I've been racing indoor carpet w/ jumps this past winter. The track is about 36x70ft and pretty technical. Plenty of guys run boosted 17.5 in stock and mod and do just as well in both.

In fact, I run a 10.5 in the mod class and I'm always trying to limit power in the thing because, if I am lucky there is only one part of the track I can take full throttle anyway.

On larger indoor or outdoor tracks I wouldn't go that route.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trickedout
Did you mean 75/35 in stock? Coz a 25t pinion I don't see that being too quick, as I run 72/35 and that makes some decent times. If not, try that combo, and see what you think.

Cheers
Old 02-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ViGiLaNtE351
Did you mean 75/35 in stock? Coz a 25t pinion I don't see that being too quick, as I run 72/35 and that makes some decent times. If not, try that combo, and see what you think.

Cheers
theres no way a 75/35 would even fit my sc10.. i meant 75/25 and it works great!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Fair enough

Cheers