Community
Wiki Posts
Search

---BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK BEARINGS---

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

if you only used them in the trans and in the motor do you think you could tell in the way it ran?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 316 (100%+)

In the trans, you will probably notice a substantial difference in heat loss in both the motor and ESC. Better bearings = Less resistance!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k1ller rc
In the trans, you will probably notice a substantial difference in heat loss in both the motor and ESC. Better bearings = Less resistance!
thanks alot, i think i will give it a try
Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

No problem, thats what I started this thread for!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ae-Dan
thanks alot, i think i will give it a try
Are you talking about running ceramics in there? or non ceramics?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anyone tried Boca Bearings?

I have not bought or tried any, I have just heard of them. Supposed to be really good and worth the extra cost, but that's just what I heard.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Avid! I was buying BOCA's at the LHS and they were JUNK I'm about 5 races into my set of Avid bearings with 0 issues!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:23 AM
Tech Elite

http://www.firstturnracing.com/
hands down the best bearings you can buy
Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I quit using AVIDs. After having 25+ get gritty after one pack, I gave up. I have since been using Team Fast Eddy's with great results.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by porkchop
http://www.firstturnracing.com/
hands down the best bearings you can buy
I wonder why he says that? They sure look like the same standard 2rs bearings everyone else sells. What makes them the best ever?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaplestreetRC

I have not bought or tried any, I have just heard of them. Supposed to be really good and worth the extra cost, but that's just what I heard.
I used the Boca ceramics in my sc10 with great results. About 20 degrees lower on my motor temp and have a full year on them. The only downside is you have to clean them out every few weekends- before they get gritty- or you just threw away a $100 set of bearings. Well worth it though for the upgrade in performance, at least in stock class. In our mod vehicles I use the Avid Revolutions and have been very pleased, especially considering the price.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Protek bearings are also very good. Pricing and quality comparable to Avid.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by MaplestreetRC

I had BOCA's in my B4 when I had it, they did good for me and lasted me about 12 races, before I sold it, but they were expensive.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Is there a bearing maintenance thread?

I'd love to learn a few tricks around taking care of mine.
Like...
Do you pop the shield off an re-pack them?
Spray any solvent in them, polish and way you go?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I'll be honest with everyone here as we have no affiliation to any ONE company though I will say that we use and sell ABEC35. We have also had our "own" bearings under the Track Star name and played the war games of "our bearings are better than theirs" blah blah blah.

What was started in this industry by Gil Losi Sr. waaaayyyy back in the early-mid 1980's as a new commodity market and that was/is micro ball bearings for R/C cars. This brand was a very well respected name in the bearing field known as NMB. Back then the quality of even their lowest price bearing was fantastic. Back then a bearing set for a Scorpion or RC10 was $125!

Fast forward to today with the Chinese manufactured micro bearings that have flooded the market no matter who you go to (Track Star, AVID, TKO, Protek, ABEC35) they all come from China. There are differences of course. Some are rubber shield, some teflon, some metal some are hybrid sheilds, some have colored rubber shields, some are stainless steel some are chrome steel, some have plastic cages, some metal, some are packed in oil some with grease the list goes on and on.

There are two main standards of bearing; ISO and ABEC. The ABEC term is one I am more familiar with for this industry. ABEC1, ABEC3 ABEC5,7 & 9. (9 being the best grade) this is a link to one of the better explanations of ABEC standards.

If you go to any of the rc bearing companies sites you will notice something that is lacking..... the ABEC rating. Out of the major companies we have only found two that publish the ABEC rating of their bearings. BOCA and ABEC35. This is not to say that the others are selling junk. Perhaps they just don't publish that information thinking the buyer might get confused or not under stand. I think the above link will help you guys under stand bearings a little more.

As far as performance of a $1.00 bearing I can tell you that we have been doing quite a bit of bearing testing over the last several years and bearing performance has come down to maintenance. I will soon have an article on our site (www.trackstarrc.com) and go over the very basic steps. But in the mean time find yourself a cheap ultrasonic cleaner, buy a quart (or gallon) of Kerosene and a bottle of our TS-1+ bearing oil and you will be able to make your dollar bearings last a season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.