Wiki Posts
Search

problem: screws backing out of multaple parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default problem: screws backing out of multaple parts

ok so my issue is that on my rustler containing both traxxas and rpm parts i keep having screws back out after a pack or two, one is for the right front camber link which is stock plastic mounted to the stock tower the other issues are the front right a arm at the bulkhead the arms are rpm and use the screws to hold them, i have tried a brand new pair and same issue, the last area is the left rear arm screw on the tranny bulk head keeps backing off/out. i did get some advice to flip the screws around to the reverse position this is untested but i was willing to try it and see. i was also thinking maybe a dab of locktight or ca glue? im looking at changing to adjustable links once the stock ones break at that point i can just utilise longer screws and some lock nuts. was just looking if anyone had any other ideas. thanks all
Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have used a drop of CA glue numerous times with success on different things.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Adept

billy, will the ca glue allow the parts to be removed easily? or will i be fighting them?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

They will come right out with ca glue.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

blue threadlock is your friend. Non permanent but will hold if you allow it to dry. IMO CA glue is not a good idea.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

well i was thinking the blue thread lock, some people have suggested red...... i want the arms to come off if i need lol. and as for ca glue was thinking just a small dab on the head but was kinda leary about that also as i know ca glue is pretty tough stuff
Old 02-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I really like this stuff called Vibra-tite. It's more gummy than gluey, and treated fasteners can be adjusted/dissassembled/reused multiple times without reapplication. Seems spendy, but a little goes a long way.

Used to use it on single cylinder dirt bikes which will spit out fasteners constantly if you don't stay on top of it.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

This is a common problem with all the traxxas RC's I've owned. I just check everything after each run. Good maintenance habits.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by porterdog
I really like this stuff called Vibra-tite. It's more gummy than gluey, and treated fasteners can be adjusted/dissassembled/reused multiple times without reapplication. Seems spendy, but a little goes a long way.

Used to use it on single cylinder dirt bikes which will spit out fasteners constantly if you don't stay on top of it.
Originally Posted by Odin544
This is a common problem with all the traxxas RC's I've owned. I just check everything after each run. Good maintenance habits.
porter ill look into that and see if i can find that stuff locally thanks.

odin pretty new to this but my daughter runs a slash and never saw this issue, now with past losi cars ya it was a issue. i have been keeping a eye on it after each run but its just getting annoying lol.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The hinge pins screws can be turned around (did that on my own when I had a slash).

Can use ca glue, works best.

Can use blue locktite. I found this doesn't work as well in plastic.

Use longer bolts and put a locking nut on the end.

Use hinge pins with e-clips.

Def more than one way to handle your issue...
Old 02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jaker
The hinge pins screws can be turned around (did that on my own when I had a slash).

Can use ca glue, works best.

Can use blue locktite. I found this doesn't work as well in plastic.

Use longer bolts and put a locking nut on the end.

Use hinge pins with e-clips.

Def more than one way to handle your issue...
ok i thought of longer bolts, but didnt want a lot of play, and lhs dosent have clip pins in yet was looking for temp fix. ill test and see what happens
Old 02-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Tech Adept

use blue loctite on metal to metal, and ca on metal to plastic parts! but beware that if u dont let the CA dry on the plastic parts before u insert the screw, u will strip out the plastic threads when ever u decide to remove the screws! on plastic let the drop of CA puddle in the hole a little, then when its dry the tolerances will be tighter for a greater hold on the screw without ruining anything when u decide to replace something.