Search

HPI RS4 Rally

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 03:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default HPI RS4 Rally

Hey guys,

I'm just about to buy a new kit of one of these. What hopups should I get for reliability and also what spares should I be getting for it??

I will be using around a 23T motor in it as a start but I will be chucking some Modified motors down the road when I get a better speedy for it.

Its just for playing around off road and I will be thrashing it around, but not racing unless something started up. Any help would be AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks guys!!
Old 12-15-2004, 06:22 PM
Tech Addict

a novak or lrp esc to start .front one way diff . extra suspension arms . extra belts . gp 3300 batts . to start with
Old 12-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Okay, I'll probably get spare arms, c hubs, uprights and spare belts.

I have all of the electrics ready to go, just need to know of what is likely to break, as I wanna get all the parts that I'll ever need in one big hit.

Has anybody got any other information??
Old 12-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Tech Addict

rims tires . spur gears . output shafts anything that will break during a crash
Old 12-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Okay, I think I've got a pretty good idea. Thanks neverlift. Have you run the car and how did you find it??
Old 12-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

yes i did run one up to a year ago then i sold it . kicking myself now .. i found it to be fast . durable . and fun ..
Old 12-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Sorry for all of the questions but how durable did you find it? Could you go over Big jumps and really THRASH it?? I guess I'm asking, what will break it??
Old 12-16-2004, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

it will hadle some big jumps . no major air . it's like a stadium truck . like anything though if you push it to the breaking point . not sure on your driving style . do you trash bash or run for fun ..
Old 12-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Well I'm a HUGE on road racer (not fat, I just enjoy it a lot. ) but I've wanted to get a car that depicts rallying. I'm not such a fan of the buggys even though I'll probably get one at some stage. I do want to take the rally on jumps because it is for fun really. Just driving off road really appeals to me and some friends of mine at the moment. We will probably take it to some BMX tracks and rough areas so that the car will be able to get some decent air. I'd just like to know if it will be able to take it in it's stride and not break when I push it.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:39 PM
Tech Addict

for what you want to do with it it's fine . it will handle it
Old 12-16-2004, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Fantastic. Thanks soo much for your help and I hope that I can be of help to you some time in the future. Cheers!
Old 12-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Tech Addict

no problem that's what this fourm is about helping one another out . your a brother rc'er why wouldn't i help
Old 12-17-2004, 05:53 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Not sure how you guys handle it, but I have heard of overheating issues when you run the inner cover to protect the belts. That was one thing I liked about the old SW Rally, the drivetrain was sealed so it didn't get damaged, but a pain to get to.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

i like the inner section for the scale looks that's it
Old 12-22-2004, 01:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I've never broken a single part on mine.

The only thing that's ever even gotten tweaked on it has been the screws that hold the front gearbox/suspension mount to the lower chassis. The front arms were binding up on the mounts...new screws and it's all better.

I have the carbon upper deck, a bunch of purple and graphite stuff (motor plate and c/f tensioner) from my old Pro 2, one-way pulley, but I run a REALLY tight ball diff for the dirt. I didn't really like the one-way in the dirt. Oh yeah...RPM ballcups and some TC3 turnbuckles...some "red-tag" bin Yokomo MIP axles.

The best motor ever for this thing is the 4300 Novak. It runs and runs and it never gets hot. I had a 5800 in it and it was nearly uncontrollable in the dirt. I run with trucks and buggies...and also at the OC Circuit parking lot races in the "Gearbox" class with all the rest of the off-road cars...it's taken some BIG hits and it just keeps on going. I don't run the inner body on pavement (even though it looks cool), because they're too expensive when you mess them up.

Here's a pic of my current body. It's a replica of my crewchief's beat-down Focus that he rallycrosses...that's why it has the different color bumper (he's on his fifth one and couldn't find a matching one) and the dark scoop...

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 06-02-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.