Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Duratrax Nitro Evader ST or HPI Nitro MT2?? >

Duratrax Nitro Evader ST or HPI Nitro MT2??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duratrax Nitro Evader ST or HPI Nitro MT2??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Duratrax Nitro Evader ST or HPI Nitro MT2??

Just curious what are the pros and cons of each, thanks!!!
Old 01-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I would say it depends on what you're planning on doing with whichever you get.

If you plan on racing and go with the evader, well, you'll be going up against a bunch of losis and gt's. But that's up to you. I'm not saying it's a bad truck, just if you want to race you should probably get a racehorse.

Now if you plan on racing the hpi mt2, I believe that's a 4x4 correct? If so, I doubt you'll find to many tracks that have a class for that truck to race.

Now if you're not racing, hmmm, probably the 4x4 would be a great truck to bash around with. It would go thru more stuff than a 2wd. But it would also take alot more maintenance. Personally I would like to try out both trucks. The 4x4 would be alot of fun I bet, and I think HPI makes pretty good cars. I had an rs4 for awhile and it held together great for me. The duratrax, now that would be a fun track to go blast around with. And I would like to take it to a track to see how it handles as well. For bashing, and 2wd stadium truck really doesn't go thru grass that well. But if you could fit on some masher 2000 tires, then the added ground clearance would help that alot.

And either truck may be difficult to get parts for unless you just plan on ordering off the internet. Duratrax has a great one year parts warranty on all plastic parts I hear. And I've also read of guys who take major advantage of their customer support for other parts as well. Don't be one of those guys if you get one!

Anyhow, go to the hobby shop and see what they carry for parts.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Of all the duratrax vehicles, the Nitro Evader ST looks closest to being competitive with the current crop of nitro vehicles. Only thing is the engine on the vehicle is so out of spec that if you start winning with that vehicle, the other drivers will complain as it is .18 power. You may need to buy a new engine.

As for the MT2, its 4wd, so you may get complaints on that as well, as well as the engine too. But, 4wd is very fun. Worse comes to Worse, if they have the class, may just bump you into the T-maxx class or full monster class.

Another vehicle I would consider is the MRC RT4-GP . There is an article on RC Car Action reviewing the pro level truck, and they have a deal going on where you get the truck and can get the Epic .18 engine for $95 dollars more.

Parts are not hard to get with the Academy / MRC vehicle. You can order them direct ( ask for Tim ) or, have your LHS order them. I own the 4wd buggy and 4wd sedan they make and I like them alot. Good vehicles.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:11 AM
fga
Tech Rookie

i have a Nitro Evader ST. this is my first truck, and this thing is fast. some friends bought the rc10gt at the same time. they're similar, but there are alot of advantages with the evader (for personal use, i guess. Don't know about rules for racing). it faster then the others stock. the shocks are easily adjusted by simply turning the spring retainer. all the radio gear is closed in small compartments. even the "AA"'s in the rear. The rc10gt has alot of zip ties holding everything in place. the reciever is exposed to the elements.
the one con i found is, you have to really look for hop up parts. Tower hobbies has alot, but things like bodies, you can't find. I just ordered a new head for mine, lightened flywheel. its a pretty cool truck, despite the fact that the local hobby shops don't like it. good luck.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

That is pretty cool that it comes with radio compartments and such. Threaded shocks is a big bonus. I wish AE would come threaded out of box. Oh well, I use the old clamp style retainer from the tub days.

Glad you like your duratrax. Don't let anyone tell ya it's a bad truck. You may find it harder to maintain a good idle with the lightened flywheel. Just so you know. I run the light one in my GT, but am going to the heavy one.

A guy won the a main I believe around here last weekend with a duratrax in electric. Don't know if stock or mod. But it's a place that draws 150 or so racers. So anything can win in the right hands.