Search
Like Tree1Likes

Gear Diffs in 2WD 1/10th Offroad cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Gear Diffs in 2WD 1/10th Offroad cars

I ma old school and have always run a ball diff. But with all the new cars having gear diffs as tuning options makes me want to try one.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

West = Durango?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

run one...it makes a world of difference and lasts longer and runs more consistently. biggest downfall is that they are harder to tune because you have to change the oils versus tightening or loosening the screw. they are a bit heavier too if you run the metal ones.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I was running the SC10 gear diff in my Durango. Was very nice other than having to shim the hell out of it to make it fit. Started with 3k oil and ended with 10k. Was very nice and very consistent, obviously.

Gear diffs cannot ever slip; excluding any stripping or breaking of internal gears. They're very messy if you have to change fluids or are testing at the track. Gear diff oil is very different than shock oil, and doesn't clean up easily. Once you have your oil picked they can be a great option for someone who is worried about slipping balls or doesn't know how to build a proper ball diff.

Ball vs. Gear is a matter of opinion, really. Neither is going to be faster than the other.

I think gear diffs can be just as smooth as ball diffs, but is going to depend on the oil. Ball diffs can be as reliable as gear diffs when properly built and adjusted.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Autocratic
Ball vs. Gear is a matter of opinion, really. Neither is going to be faster than the other.
That's not true. All else being equal, a ball diff always yields faster lap times in 2wd.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
That's not true. All else being equal, a ball diff always yields faster lap times in 2wd.
I've turned some of my fastest laps at my local track with my SC10 gear diff.

Unless someone provides some kind of scientific proof that ball is always faster than a gear diff, I call shenanigans. Not trying to start an e-fight or anything, I just don't see how you can say what you said without providing some other proof than your own personal experiences.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have used both in oval and offroad. Say what you want but I prefer the gear diff over the ball. Swing Away !
Old 02-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I choose gear diff every time. I prefer the reliability it offers and long lifespan with very low maintenance upkeep. The weight it adds doesn't concern me with all metal gears. My Blitz ESE is just as fast as any ball diff driven 2wd SCT out there and will always be more reliable.

If we didn't have the luxury of brushless motors and LiPo batteries, I would have a completely different opinion. To me that is all a ball diff is good for, for maximum efficiency.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Lord

I've turned some of my fastest laps at my local track with my SC10 gear diff.

Unless someone provides some kind of scientific proof that ball is always faster than a gear diff, I call shenanigans. Not trying to start an e-fight or anything, I just don't see how you can say what you said without providing some other proof than your own personal experiences.
Go show me one gear diff being used at the pro level... they dont run them because they are slower.. plain and simple.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Go show me one gear diff being used at the pro level... they dont run them because they are slower.. plain and simple.
You still haven't backed up your previous statement. Just because every pro runs a ball diff doesn't mean anything; only that they run ball diffs. That's like comparing different types of apples; they're still all apples.

If all pro's used gear diffs, then we should still be having the same conversation. What you said has no weight.

If a ball diff is scientifically faster than a gear diff, then explain it and provide proof to back up that explanation. Don't just give more unsupported statements, because it's not just "plain and simple". There has to be a reason why saying "ball is faster than gear".
ceh329 likes this.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That is what they said about gear diffs in 4wd's too... but that has changed. They also used to say that they would never work in sedans, but that also has changed. Just give it some time.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Lord

You still haven't backed up your previous statement..
Why don't YOU backup your statement about how or why a gear diff is as fast as ball diff?
Old 02-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I once weighed the SC10 ball diff and gear diff, and the gear diff was 1g lighter than the ball diff, even full of fluid. So, it would seem that you could even shave 1g of weight from the rotational mass from the SC10, but time and time again, the pro drivers were using the ball diff. One of our best drivers at the local track here says he shaved a half second off per lap switching from the gear diff to the ball diff.

Personally, I have found ball diffs easier to setup and maintain than a gear diff, and with some pro setups running very light gear diff oil, it would seem there is very little difference between a freely spinning and smooth ball diff vs a freely spinning and smooth gear diff, except that one usually leaks.

Also, it is pretty much a tuning fact that increasing rear diff oil weight in a 2WD causes push into corner entry and that alone is just completely unacceptable to pro drivers. A properly running ball diff doesn't do that because it spins so free.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kufman
That is what they said about gear diffs in 4wd's too... but that has changed. They also used to say that they would never work in sedans, but that also has changed. Just give it some time.
What about pan cars, is anyone having success with a gear diff? Seems that would be a better reference, doesn't 4wd steer differently than 2wd?
Old 02-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Dave H
What about pan cars, is anyone having success with a gear diff? Seems that would be a better reference, doesn't 4wd steer differently than 2wd?
yep.. and lifting a single drive wheel in a 4wd doesn't affect power to the wheels NEARLY as bad as lifting a single drive wheel in a 2wd car. Which is why sedans and 4wd buggies do fine with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.