Wiki Posts
Search

LRP SXX v2 ESC's stop working

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nanoverse
I am so pissed at LRP right now for not bringing the board exchange to Europe.
I'm 99% certain that the exchange is not funded by LRP, but that AE is handling it in NA.

Don't be mad at LRP for not bringing the board exchange.... though if you want, you can be mad at them for having a sub-par quality control program for the V2s....

Sym - so far as I can tell, it is pandemic.... as great as these ESCs are when they work, pretty much everyone I know that owns one has sent it in for repair at some point. the V1 was fine....the V2 has a weak BEC... From what I can tell, it provides 3A, but as soon as you draw 3.000001A, the BEC fries and you are stuck with using an external BEC.

This V3 board or whatever they are calling it, SPECIFICALLY addresses the issue of the BEC (So you KNOW they knew it was a problem), as well as giving you a few more features (Faster processor, mod and stock on the same ESC....)
Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by superslow
Did someone say rx8
I dont think an rx8 will fit in my dex 210
Old 11-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I would say call them and ask for Aldo he will take care of you. After waiting awhile I got a call Monday that they got more boards so I walked in yesterday and got mine replaced in 10 mins it now has a lot more programmability to it now.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Is there anyway to buy the board in Australia, or anywhere to be honest. I bought my tc spec v. 2 from tower hobbies and it died after 2/3 of a pack. I don't want to wait weeks and weeks, so would rather just buy a new board.
Thanks.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by simonr23
Is there anyway to buy the board in Australia, or anywhere to be honest. I bought my tc spec v. 2 from tower hobbies and it died after 2/3 of a pack. I don't want to wait weeks and weeks, so would rather just buy a new board.
Thanks.
What I did when my first blew was that I bought a new one and made a deal that if LRP fixes it under warranty (I was ready to fight like hell, because I knew of all the problems) I get my money back.

Sucks to use $ to get running but thats the way I got to run without waiting.
Be strict about getting your new speedo under warranty if you didn't short it out!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

thanks for the reply. i've found a couple of units in the aussie section here for sale, so i might just buy one of them. i've bought another tekin esc for the 44.2 though, so the lrp may not get revived. it has left a bad taste in my mouth. i knew there was a chance of it failing, but it still sucks when it happens. in australia warranty is handled alot better(for the consumer), but i was impatient and bought from OS. lesson learnt.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Hi everyone,

Really mad with my Nosram PearlSpec v1 stock ESC. I bought it second hand from a guy who raced sucessfully with it but took a long break from racing (the ESC hasn't been used for almost a year). I installed it in my TC and immediately started having weird range problems. On certain distant points on the track the car simply sometimes shuts down and only starts working when I get really close to it. Sometimes it works sometimes it is worthless. I switched back to my Hobbywing ESC and it worked perfectly, with the same radio, receiver, servo and sensor cable. Don't tell me its a problem with the radio because I've never had problems with my Spektrum DX3R, I won a 1:8 buggy race yesterday on a much bigger track and I never had problems with the Xerun speedo. To be honest I was perfectly happy with my Hobbywing Xerun, I only bought this because we must (by rules) use LRP/Nosram 10.5T stock motor and the brakes are better with the ESC of the same manufacturer. Anyone had similar issues? I must say I am really mad with these products...

Thanks in advance
Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

To be honest, I have rarely heard of problems with the SXX v1....it was the V2 that had major issues with the BEC (which is what this thread is mainly about)

As to whether or not this applies to your issue... Does the car shut down in an area that would tax the steering servo? Something like a zig zag, a quick left right from full throw on both sides?

I ask because I've never heard of random range problems....it's either a range problem all the time, or not at all. (Not saying it's impossible...but just that I've never encountered it.) If the parts of the course that tax your steering servo also happen to be the parts that are farther away, then that could explain it.

I would expect that under heavy load, the servo would draw too much, the BEC would drop out, and then by the time you get near the car, the ESC will have reset itself..... (though mine never reset itself until you unplugged the battery).

It could also be that your endpoints are set just a touch too far and when you max out the steering throw, the servo could be stalling, which causes a lot of current draw as well.

If you are dead-set on using the ESC, you could try an external BEC....that MIGHT solve the problem. You could also try a steering servo with a lower stall current (knowing that it will be a weaker servo).

Good luck with it, whatever you try!

BGB
Old 04-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy
To be honest, I have rarely heard of problems with the SXX v1....it was the V2 that had major issues with the BEC (which is what this thread is mainly about)

As to whether or not this applies to your issue... Does the car shut down in an area that would tax the steering servo? Something like a zig zag, a quick left right from full throw on both sides?

I ask because I've never heard of random range problems....it's either a range problem all the time, or not at all. (Not saying it's impossible...but just that I've never encountered it.) If the parts of the course that tax your steering servo also happen to be the parts that are farther away, then that could explain it.

I would expect that under heavy load, the servo would draw too much, the BEC would drop out, and then by the time you get near the car, the ESC will have reset itself..... (though mine never reset itself until you unplugged the battery).

It could also be that your endpoints are set just a touch too far and when you max out the steering throw, the servo could be stalling, which causes a lot of current draw as well.

If you are dead-set on using the ESC, you could try an external BEC....that MIGHT solve the problem. You could also try a steering servo with a lower stall current (knowing that it will be a weaker servo).

Good luck with it, whatever you try!

BGB
The servo works when the ESC does, the cars simply stops working, no weird behaviours from the servo. The on/off switch has been removed so the car is turned on by plugging the battery, so it automatically works when caught signal. I will open the ESC tonight, simply to check if anything is visibly rong...
Old 04-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis
The servo works when the ESC does, the cars simply stops working, no weird behaviours from the servo. The on/off switch has been removed so the car is turned on by plugging the battery, so it automatically works when caught signal. I will open the ESC tonight, simply to check if anything is visibly rong...
IF the servo is drawing too much current and it causes the BEC to fail, then the BEC will not power anything, including the receiver and the servo. Since the receiver would stop receiving power, it would appear as if everything stops working. (Which is the symptom you describe.) At least, that's what mine was doing....drove perfectly fine for a lap or two if I was driving smooth, but if I did a quick left-right to try to catch my truck from spinning out, it would all of a sudden just stop.

If it's actually a range problem, then you would be able to take the car out into the middle of a parking lot and drive it straight and it would cut out much closer than you would normally expect... if it's not a range problem, you would be able to drive it as far as you can see (at least, I can drive my 8th scale buggy as far as I can see with my 2.4Ghz Futaba...I would hope that Spektrum has the same sort of range).

If it's the BEC failing because of too much current draw, then you will PROBABLY be able to recreate the issue just by turning the steering back and forth several times while the vehicle is stationary, right in front of you. It was so bad on mine by the time I sent it in that I could hold my truck up in the air and it would cut out after left-right-left-right-left. This was with a Savox servo in a 2wd SCT. heavier than 2wd buggy, but not like it was in an 8th scale....

If it is something else, then I couldn't help....Maybe it's like the issues that people used to have with Spektrum and the Mamba Monster.... just an odd incompatibility..... I don't know anyone running NOSRAM around here, but I know several that run Spektrum with LRP stuff and don't seem to have unusual problems...
Old 07-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

As of yesterday, my SXX V2 decided to stop working. No power, no nothing. I raced the speed control with a 21.5 motor and temperatures never were a problem. It wont switch on or show any signs of power input, would this be BEC related?

Cheers.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

can't trust my v2. put v1's back in both mod buggys
Old 07-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
As of yesterday, my SXX V2 decided to stop working. No power, no nothing. I raced the speed control with a 21.5 motor and temperatures never were a problem. It wont switch on or show any signs of power input, would this be BEC related?

Cheers.
Doesn't sound like it.....

When I had the BEC die, the ESC would turn on, and I would have throttle, but as soon as I tried to use my steering, it would kick out.

And even at that, I would still have blinky lights on the ESC. If you have no signs of life, it sounds like something different to me (though I'm not an electrical engineer or ESC software developer....I can only speak from personal experience.)

On a related note, I've been running my SXX V2 Stock+Mod in my B4.2 for a little while now and it has been flawless so far. I trust the Stock+Mod board with the upgraded BEC.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

^ mine just didnt have any input when i flipped the switch. send it in to lrp. bec is bad
Old 07-05-2013, 02:08 AM
Tech Adept

I'm having troubles with the SXX stock spec v2 escs too..

Everything was perfect 2 days before a race, on the raceday, I plug in my batteries and nothing.. no blinking blue led or what so ever..

Borrowed a SXX from my friend (he had just bought it on ebay, auction).
Again the same... this happened in 1 week.. :s

Send my esc to LRP since I don't have my receipt, repairing cost is around 50€ = +/- 65$
My friend got the receipt for the guy that sold the esc so he'll get warranty I think.