Wiki Posts
Search

gyro in a slash

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 05:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default gyro in a slash

Hey guys wondering if anyone has ever used a gyro in a slash for racing. How did it work? Would you recommend one? If so what type?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Tech Adept

gyros are against the rules
Old 02-03-2012, 05:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is that like an unspoken rule or what? I'm new to the racing scene but have been bashing for awhile now and i haven't run across any rules in the tracks i have checked out that ban the use of gyros.

Thanks fir your help
Old 02-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Tech Adept

I don't know the details, but work on your setup and practice and you won't need one. Spend the money on tires instead.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burlap1980
Hey guys wondering if anyone has ever used a gyro in a slash for racing. How did it work? Would you recommend one? If so what type?

Thanks
Hoping to eliminate traction rolling on asphalt for bashing, I put a gyro in a slash. It had seriously unexpected and humorous side effects. Especially look at the last few seconds of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8PnS14HqlM
Old 02-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man
Hoping to eliminate traction rolling on asphalt for bashing, I put a gyro in a slash. It had seriously unexpected and humorous side effects. Especially look at the last few seconds of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8PnS14HqlM
That's pretty cool! By the way, are you an ex slot car racer by any chance? I've only seen one other person drive like That, and that was why.

Back on the gyro topic though, I think its a really cool idea. I've heard its illegal for racing too, but I'd be interested to see if it would help on a practice day or something.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Timmahhh
That's pretty cool! By the way, are you an ex slot car racer by any chance? I've only seen one other person drive like That, and that was why.
I am an ex-slot car racer but it was 30 years between driving my last slot car in 1971 and starting in RC in 2001.

Driving like that has nothing to do with my slot racer background. I do it because I only have 1 digit on the index and middle fingers of my left hand (because of an accident in my youth). That is not enough to operate the throttle on an RC controller. I hold the steering wheel with my thumb and ring finger of the left hand.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burlap1980
Is that like an unspoken rule or what? I'm new to the racing scene but have been bashing for awhile now and i haven't run across any rules in the tracks i have checked out that ban the use of gyros.

Thanks fir your help
Its a written rule in ROAR's rule book. Most tracks model their rules off of it. I'm sure you could run it, but if you end up in the top 3 of a main by using it, there may be cause of protest from other racers. But if you're using it and your coming last or near last, who cares.

5.2.3 The use of traction control sensing devices, active suspension devices, and
steering control devices aided by gyroscopes or accelerometers (G-force
sensors) of any kind is strictly prohibited. Sensors may be used for the purpose
of passive data recording but not for adjusting the performance of the vehicle
while in motion.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ta_man
If anyone is interested in playing with a gyro, I'll sell the one that was used in the truck (in the video) for $35 shipped to a U.S. address.