Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Have you switched from electric to nitro or vice versa,  and WHY? >

Have you switched from electric to nitro or vice versa, and WHY?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you switched from electric to nitro or vice versa, and WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Have you switched from electric to nitro or vice versa, and WHY?

I was just wondering if anyone here has switched from electric to nitro or vice versa. and which do you like better. i'm not looking to start a flame war, i just wanna hear from people who have both?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I do both. I think they both have their own advantages.

With Nitro it seems that your alot less perfect in your set up. I like the speed and the noise.

With electric it's alot cleaner. no gas to deal with but it requires more attention to detail. working on your motor every couple of runs and so on.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I concur...I like the gas for trucks and Monster trucks. Electric is more money it seems to get the same power. Seems like brushless is the way to go for power and runtime. Engine tuning for gas takes a little getting used to.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The above poster brought up an interesting question.

Isn't gas usually more expensive than electric in the long run? I know the vehicle kits are more expensive as well as the engines.

I guess it depends on your budget. I know it's possible to spend a ton of money on either gas or electric, but on average electric seems cheaper to me.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

I think being competitive in each is just as expensive..speed costs money.

I race both as often as I can. I like the competitive, close racing of electric, and I like the thrill of the noisy nitro cars, long mains, and pit stops of gas racing.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Tech Addict

i race both electric and gas gas for the speed and smell of nitro . but the electric keeps the neighbors happy
Old 01-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I do both. Like nitro the best for the noise the realism, and I enjoy the maintenance on them. Electric's I have b/c some tracks not enough nitro 1/10 guys show up. That and they are pretty fun to plug and go. Soldering gets old after awhile though, as does messing with batts.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I race both and IMHO Nitro is way cheaper,Aaron has been outa of the loop to long( )In racing on the club level you dont need a high dollar nitro motor especially if it's off road,for most tracks an OS cvr works fine.On the one I had it lasted over a year(thats before a re-build).I dont even come close to that with an electric motor..that would be 19 wind,I figure I went through about 4 last year(motors),and could not tell you how many brushes I went through.The "things"some of you guys fail to bring up is batterys,speed controlers,chargers and a few other items.. It's easy to look at an electric motor and compare it's price to that of a nitro motor,but you should add in the "stuff" it takes to run it.The reason why I like nitro is its not that hard to keep the motor running good(well at least the ones I'm running.. )The other is I dont worry about people cheating..like I care if someone is running a .15 or a turbo .12..I cant really use the HP i have now.. When I race nitro I just have a great time,I walk off the drivers stand EVERY time with a smile,even if i break,come in last,whatever.My 2 cents..
Old 01-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Great post. That's about how I feel about it also.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Tech Adept

Excellent post xxxkat!

Last year was my first year ever racing nitro offroad. Well it was my first year racing nitro anything. I picked up a used GT and when I could get it running I had an absolute blast with it. I've raced 12th electric on and off for more then 10 years, and it just got too complicated and expensive. At least if I'm bored on a Sunday afternoon I can fire up my GT and head out for a little bashing in the dirt. Let's see you do that with a Carpet Knife! LOL!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:32 AM
Tech Elite

xxxkat - Your two cents is just that..I have my own as well.

To remain competitive in either electric or gas, there's a healthy amount of maintenance costs, and gallons of fuel add up when you get enough practice time. They both work out to be about equal.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i race both.is anybody going down to crcrc at the end of the month for the midwest indoor champs?ill be there runnin 1/8 scale
Old 01-04-2005, 03:46 AM
Tech Legend

Nitro is cheaper than electric ?
Ha! ha! ha! Ha!

I race both..... Fridays, electric & Saturdays, nitro

Not cus one is better or cheaper ...

I race both because they both require different skills.

More skills = better driver
Old 01-04-2005, 03:50 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the replies. i've been flying airplanes, gas and electric powered so luckily i already have all of the stuff for the trucks (batteries, chargers, gas, temp guns, and so on). i just picked up two stadium trucks for me and my stepson (FT associated rc10t4 and Evader ST)<------Can You Guess Which Is Mine hehehe.

I've see everyone on here--almost anyway bashing the other nitro or electric until im sick of reading the posts. thats why i asked opinion from people who already own and use both and i appreciate the replies. So it looks like i will just have to compromise and buy a nitro too and after thinking about it i realize it will be the best of both worlds. now when i go to my first track to race i will get to race twice as much as everyone else. See Ya at The Track
Old 01-04-2005, 06:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Not trying to start anything..But how often do you guys cycle out your batterys(as in get new ones)and do you count the cost of a lathe in your electric is cheaper?And how many packs do you count.I guess everyone has a different way of looking at costs,for me Nitro is cheaper,And Aaron I ment no disrespect by the "outa of the loop" remark,I have been sponsored in the past and did forget about a "few" items..that i now pay for..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.