R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New to Rc. What New car to buy?

Gday guys. Been here trying to buy a 2nd hand Rc for a while now iv so far had no luck. Im here today because i am doing my head in deciding on what Monster Truck to buy.

My choices are

Traxxas Stampede 2wd Brushed $271
Traxxas Stampede 2wd Brushless $394 (why is the 4x4 3 inches longer?)
Traxxas Stampede 4x4 Brushless $451
And my favorite from Traxxas A Brushed E-maxx $527

HPI Savage XS Brushless mini Monster truck $393
HPI MT Bullet Flux Brushless $462
HPI E Savage $419

All prices are Shipped to my door.

All prices include battery an chargers if they do not come with the car package.

I would rather buy a bigger size car other than the 16inch ones Ie 2wd stampede and most HPI cars listed above.

My Question is what one do i buy. I want fast speeds an something i can drive on all terrains Rain, Beach, Long grass. gravel, an pavement etc.

I have watched YouTube videos on most of the Above cars an i am no closer to reaching a decision.

I want something that wont break on my first run and wont cost me half the car price to make it a decent basher.

What do you guys recommend from personal experience on what i should be buying.

Please an thank you.

Glow
Glow Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Tech Adept

For Bashing: Savage XS, Stampede 4x4 or step up and buy a Savage Flux!
every basher should have a Savage in their garage

I would not get the Emaxx unless you plan to put LOTS of $ into it... the Savage Flux HP is bulletproof compared to the E-maxx... E-revo over E-maxx but Savage Flux is the ultimate basher
Savagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you are new, I would suggest buying from a reputable local hobby shop. Much more helpful that way when you have problems. Walking in the door with gear from a on-line store tends to not make the "Help" part of the local hobby shop experience very helpful.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Transport is an issue for me, buying online is the best way.

I would like a Savage Flux but i cant afford it. i don't want to spend to much more than $400. $600+ is just out of question.

I like the XS but i think it might be a little bit to small for my needs (Long grass, Rough small jumps an head on impact probably lol)

Pretty much it comes down to:
savage Xs (if some one can talk me into it Its just to cute)
Stampede 4x4
E savage

Really i have no clue what i want. I need more ideas guys.

Thanks for the help so far. At the moment im Googleing mods to make the Xs just that little bit bigger. (so far no luck. is it to new?)
Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow Socks View Post
I want something that wont break on my first run and wont cost me half the car price to make it a decent basher.
That statement narrows it down to a Savage Flux HP or 2350. The XS is small, smaller than a Stampede, for what I have seen in pictures the Bullet is about the same size as a Stampede. The issue I have seen with the Stampede is the ESC does not like 3s and if you upgrade to a SCT 2400 then you will need better drive shafts to handle the power. The XS is to small for me to want to work on one and seems like reports say it needs a better ESC to run 3s. The Flux HP/2350 needs a $15 gear for the tranny to be a great basher.
thx138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Default thanks peoples

If i had the money for a full size savage flux i would of brought one last week.
I cant get the one i want so i need to make the next best choice.
I dont think i will be running 3s anytime soon anyway(new to rc)
I have seen heaps of videos on the XS and the Stampede an i think i like the XS more.
Yes the Stampede is 19 inches long an the XS is 14 inches long(still pretty big)

At the moment i own a Cheap $150 HSP short course truck an well i burnt the hell out of that motor 2nd run. So i want something a little more respectable.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Default thanks peoples

If i had the money for a full size savage flux i would of brought one last week.
I cant get the one i want so i need to make the next best choice.
I dont think i will be running 3s anytime soon anyway(new to rc)
I have seen heaps of videos on the XS and the Stampede an i think i like the XS more.
Yes the Stampede is 19 inches long an the XS is 14 inches long(still pretty big)

Because the XS is New do you think HPI will be releasing Bigger wheels and longer chassis Hop ups down the track?

At the moment i own a Cheap $150 HSP short course truck an well i burnt the hell out of that motor 2nd run. So i want something a little more respectable.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

get the savage 2350. it is durable, reliable and cheaper than the hp. i have the hp and the car is amazing. trust me. save up the little bit more and buy a savage flux 2350
mrfluxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (96%+)

Buy a used savage from the forums !!! Seriously only get this car new.or used , you asked for help and there it is
Hexx760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Glow Socks', have you ever been to a nice groomed rc track? I started out bashing and it got tiresome to me. My first time at a track and I was hooked.

Just a thought.
Mikes Hobby Shop
symmetricon is online now   Reply With Quote