Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Titan 12t 550 and xl5 upgrade over standard 540/stock esc for Lunchbox? >

Titan 12t 550 and xl5 upgrade over standard 540/stock esc for Lunchbox?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Titan 12t 550 and xl5 upgrade over standard 540/stock esc for Lunchbox?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Titan 12t 550 and xl5 upgrade over standard 540/stock esc for Lunchbox?

I am debating whether to use the stock based setup with a 540 and stock ESC or replace it with a Titan 550 12T and xl-5 ESC I will have shortly. Aside from the dependability issues with the Titan some people have had, would it be a significant improvement over the stock setup?
Thanks
Old 01-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tight Budget Options

Not sure how much effort you are wanting to put into this.. Plug-in-play is what you are looking for I'd say give the 550 12T xl-5 a shot. That's what I use to run in my Traxxas Grave Digger and did me just fine for a bit (6 months, 50 runs or so), just watch the gearing. I also haven't played around with the Lunchbox in a long time, so I really can't compare to the Grave Digger. If I'm not mistaken you can get an RS540 tuned online for $18 - $26. Before I switch to Brushless I used the Electrify S-600 ($15.00) for a long time and was an unbelievable motor. Now it does require soldering, but well worth it. Of course others on the forum could give you better advice. Good Luck... I'd be curious as to what you decide and how the truck drives afterward.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks slate! Yeah, I definitely want something plug and play...got both the ESC and motor as a set and thought it would be easy just to throw that in. Although I am seeing the Tamiya Sport Tuned on Ebay going for under $20 shipped and it is tempting.
By the electrify S-600, do you mean this motor here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Planes...ht_2528wt_1163

The specs on it look very similar to the Sport Tuned. How did it compare to the brushless? I have a Reedy 3300KV that will be going in another Midnight Pumpkin with 2S Lipos....will be interesting to compare.