Wiki Posts
Search

Help with a Cheap BL Combo for XXX-SCT

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis
Thanks for the info....when I bought my hobbywing speedo the only service was sending it back to china..I was without for 6 month ..don't care how good they claim to be be..I won't ever buy another one....I've had great luck with castle stuff so I will recommend them..
OUCH!

Yeah Castle CS is awesome!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Yea, Castle has unmatched customer support. Any you'll never have Xing answer the phone and struggle with communication! LMAO.....
But the odds of needing support from Hobbywing is much less likely! I think there failure rate is VERY low. Ive had Castle products fail and they where right there to make it right! You'll recieve the same treatment with Novak, Tekin or Traxxas. All great to deal with from my experiences with faulty products.
As for Hobbywing, never had to call them. Never had anything I've owned fail. And Ive owned several different models. Im shure it happins, but not often. Atleast from what I know.
But I think you'll be happy either way. And I will agree that Castle SCT system rips!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Thanks!

Everyone here has been of great help and made some good points.

Coming from the air world, I have had great experience with Castle stuff, and adequate-to-great experience with Chinese Brand X.

I bought the XXX-SCT to have something to run with my kid, and a platform that he could grow with if/when he wants to get more into racing (although somehow I think I'll be the family's Slash guy, while he drives the Losi).

Day 2 with the "American" Losi and the ESC goes haywire. (Meanwhile the Traxxas has been solid for over a year, and we even have the original 12T in there.)

Horizon (bless their service) is sending a replacement ESC, but I'm told that the stock XXX-SCT motor is inevitably going to fail.

So, here I am, trying to prepare for the inevitable failing of the stock system (probably in both trucks), and also keep options open for the future.

If I want a half-decent sensor-capable ESC, I'm looking at either an XERUN or a Castle MMP or Tekin equivalent... and one of 'em is half-to-a-third the price of the others. If money weren't an object, I'd head to my LHS, and buy whatever they wanted to sell me. I love those guys, but this hobby has gotten pretty expensive in a hurry.

I also hate intellectual property theft and Chinese working conditions, but I'm a rational consumer, and even "American" products like iPhones and Losi stuff are cranked out in China. So, service appears to be about the only advantage to going Castle from where I sit, and even if the Hobbywing stuff fails 2-3 times, I'm even.

For now, I'm just going to see how the new Losi ESC works, and stick with an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. When "it" breaks, I'll replace it with a brushless system of some sort, and in the mean time, I'll keep an eye on the "for sale" boards. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a decent American system at a price I can justify.

Thanks again to everyone!

-G
Old 01-30-2012, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone have any experience with Hobbyking Turnigy ESC's? Looking at their 100 amp 1/10th esc it is only about 60 bucks, sensored...
Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCNurse
Anyone have any experience with Hobbyking Turnigy ESC's? Looking at their 100 amp 1/10th esc it is only about 60 bucks, sensored...
a guy i have been racing with has had excellent luck with his Hobbyking 100A speedo, until last week..LOL..it didnt go up , it just stopped working out of the blue..
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Well, I got antsy enough that I plunked down for a used Mamba Max Pro and Speed Passion V3 17.5R -- for less than the HW Stock Spec combo.

Finger crossed that the stuff is in as good condition as the sellers claim -- and that I can figure out how to get it all working!

-G
Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great choice. My fav esc is mmp. Will run a 10th scale 2wd buggy to and 8th scale buggy no problems. Castle will repair it for cheap even if you bought it second hand. Sensored, unsensored, brushed, brushless,fully programmable, 2-4 cell lipo (I know it says 6 i wouldnt try that lol) the esc is a beast!

I just had xerun dead on arrival and thank freaking goodness nitrorcx took it back because it would cost 80% of what I paid for a one way ticket to china. No thanks!!!!!!!!

Sucks that speed passions and Orion pair with Hobbywing speedos now because I like their motors but not they r not worth it IMO

I love my cheap budget stuff. Gens ace, nano tech, tacon and exi but Hobbywing is just not for me! If u need a motor tacon is great. No finned motors they r so slow. You need a 25 buck 3650 model. I have a 3500kv and it will run pack to pack and never gets hot