Wiki Posts
Search

Sound ID...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? Sound ID...

So before I get KNEE DEEP in a diff rebuild on my Mini E-revo... I just want to run a few things by your guys... The truck is BRAND NEW.. For those of you who didn't follow my "build".. I bought the brushed version and immediately tore the 12t Titan 550/XL 2.5 ESC out.. Replaced with a HW 35A 9T 4300kv 1/12-1/10 system.. To keep the power "reasonable" I am ONLY running dual 1200 NIMH TRX packs... As it sits it weighs LESS than it did with the Titan motor... I run my batteries *PARALLEL* NOT IN SERIES (that would be insanity with this combo)!!! So it's NOT like a 454 in a geo metro!! As I've been accused... NOW!!!
When I am under acceleration (only) there is a FAINT ticking noise... Was there from run #1.. While braking or just coasting it is NOT THERE!! I've researched a little bit and found about a million posts on a "timing" issue.. But being that I'm fairly new at the "brushless game" I'd like some opinions/explanations if you guys don't mind... Last time I was really into this hobby, BL didn't exist!! Haha...

Thanks in advance...
Dustin
Old 01-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

Bump...
Old 01-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

TTT...
Old 01-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Tech Champion

Hard to say from here, but I agree with these guys:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ing-noise.html
Old 01-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Addict

Well I don't see it being my drivetrain (fresh out the box).. And the motor may need the timing adjusted according to some.. I'd just like a rundown on how the timing works and if that is a possible solution before I go waiting on a 3 week replacement motor from HW.. Don't want to adjust it the wrong way and toast it. I know nothing of timing in a BL motor...
Old 01-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Champion

Timing affects the power band of the motor. Have no idea how a timing adjustment would cause a ticking noise (assuming any motor adjustment is not simply loose).

Bearings, drivelines, roll pins, drive joints, gear damage, etc are all possibilities. Try manually twisting the wheels completely around, while loading them up against the tranny by holding the spur gear, and see if you can feel anything. Then start taking stuff apart and inspecting everything.

Don't know what else to offer, doesn't appear any one else does either. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Tech Addict

Well thanks for the help dave... Guess I'll start taking it apart! I've heard how fun these things are to break-down.. Haha... Thanks again...
Old 01-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Why start a new thread when you already had one on the same issue?
Did you even try the suggestion about swapping the motor around?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Addict

Ratsack, your always the most helpful person on my thread... For that I thank you (sarcasm stops here)... And I'm 30 miles offshore, 1500 miles from home/family/wife/daughter trying to figure this out in the most efficient way possible... I've read 1,000 posts and watched 300 videos.. I am only home for 14 DAYS every other month. So pardon me for not wanting to spend all 14 of those days ID'ing a problem that someone with a little more experience could *HELP* me with... WHY TAKE APART THE WHOLE CAR when it MAY only be something simple... Perhaps if I posted a thread that said "Fastest R/C in THE WORLD" it'd get a little more traffic!! What ya think?? Come on man!!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Did you check all of the little set screw/pins on the drive shafts near the diff outputs ? Also check the ones on the center drive shafts . They should all be flush with the shaft.

The timing on the motor isnt gonna make any difference on how it sounds

Check for debris in the spur gear as well , I know you said it only happens during accelleration but I have had it hapen several times on my MERV where a grain of sand/dirt would get stuck in the plastic spur and make the faint ticking sound you describe .
Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

I'll check that out... The tick is just enough to bother me.. Doesn't sound like a grind or even a full click... It's just very faint and I know it doesn't belong.. One of those things that just gets under my skin! Plus I have a diff rebuild on my E-maxx to do as well.. Have all new a-arms for it so I figured I'd knock it out while I was at it... But the Maxx is a cakewalk compared to the mini revo (from what everyone tells me)...