Wiki Posts
Search

Novak GTB2 reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (97%+)
Default Novak GTB2 reviews?

I am looking to get a enw esc for my 2wd buggy and i was wondering what your thoughts are on the gtb2. i will be running stock (17.5) and mod (8.5).

Is this esc ok for that or should i be looking more at the rs pro for an extra $120?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It's a fine speed control for the no timing classes. Frankly, it's a fine speed control for the open classes, but since it doesn't have any boost options, it's not real popular there.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

isnt that what motor timing is for?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Its also a bit on the large size, especially for a 2wd buggy. I had one. It was nice and smooth, etc..up until it quit on me.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lowroad
Its also a bit on the large size, especially for a 2wd buggy. I had one. It was nice and smooth, etc..up until it quit on me.
they have a low profile one now
Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Sounds like you've already made your mind up.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lowroad
Sounds like you've already made your mind up.
i like the fact that its $99 not the $219 that orion and tekin want. im on a budget for racing. i would like to be able to drop 200 for a esc but i need 2 of them so thats 400 or 200 for 2 gtbs.

just on amain the low profile one says its great to 10.5 but under the motor limit it says any novak 540 motor
Old 01-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I have 3 of them that I've run in mod classes (non-low profile). I've run all the way down to a 6.5 in an SCT and had no issues at all. I got them because the price was good and because I did not need all the timing/boost stuff. Simple and smooth.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by klaymon
I have 3 of them that I've run in mod classes (non-low profile). I've run all the way down to a 6.5 in an SCT and had no issues at all. I got them because the price was good and because I did not need all the timing/boost stuff. Simple and smooth.
great thanks. maybe ill call novak and find out if the normal and the low profile are the same
Old 01-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by tq_racing
great thanks. maybe ill call novak and find out if the normal and the low profile are the same
Yes. The standard HS and LP HS versions are exactly the same. The size of the HS is what determines the motor limit for the product. We sell the LP HS separately for those customers purchasing the standard version to take advantage of the 3.5T motor limit and then converting to the LP HS, if necessary.

We have a new GTB2 with X-Drive, which is 15.00 more, but offers additional features.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Yes. The standard HS and LP HS versions are exactly the same. The size of the HS is what determines the motor limit for the product. We sell the LP HS separately for those customers purchasing the standard version to take advantage of the 3.5T motor limit and then converting to the LP HS, if necessary.

We have a new GTB2 with X-Drive, which is 15.00 more, but offers additional features.
great thanks. i was also looking at the sc version that has the x-drive and that had timing right? can you put the LP HS on that also and run timing in a buggy. im not worried about the normal HS on my truck or sc since there is plunty of room. i would just like the option of having timing if i want it
Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

are you having issues with your MMP in your sig?

the MMP through its CHEAT feature will have the timing options I believe you are looking for.

As for price, assuming you buy 2 of them, if you are a tower member you can get them for about $107 a piece (buy 2 at $127, use $40 discount code, now $107 shipped)

thats not to say there is anything wrong with the novak gear, I really enjoyed my havoc's when I got them. I am just thinking since you already have one MMP and assuming no issues, you could keep it all in the family for a cheap price.

Another option is the Speed Passion 2.0 line.

The GT2.0 LPF is a great ESC and can be had for about $90 right now:

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/produ...8802LPFb&c=ESC

I think the Pro version you can use in SCT as well and is $125.

with the LCD Programmer that you and buy the sister hobbywing version (you just update the firmware to SP and it works) for about $20, you get all the boosting, timing, turbo, etc. features you want.

If I wasn't invested in my MMP stuff that I also use in 1/8, I probably would have all these ESCs.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by tq_racing
great thanks. i was also looking at the sc version that has the x-drive and that had timing right? can you put the LP HS on that also and run timing in a buggy. im not worried about the normal HS on my truck or sc since there is plunty of room. i would just like the option of having timing if i want it
Using the standard HS is preferable in all installations, (cooler operation = better performance) unless you must use the LP. We do not recommend using the LP/HS with our HP/SC-X esc.

The Tower discount codes will save you an equivalent amount of money regardless of the products you select...
Old 01-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I tested the esc before the release and still runs great. Works fantastic in my no boost stock buggy
Old 01-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

The speed control works great in a 4x4 Losi SCTE Ten Short Course truck too, it is powering this Tekin 4000kv 4 pole motor no problemo. I'm pretty impressed with the GTB2. Many people are spending a lot more money to do the very same thing. I've been using it in this configuration for quite a while too and been through many races including the Colorado State Championship like this without a single issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.