Wiki Posts
Search

What to do?... short course thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default What to do?... short course thread

So I‘m generally old school and have since rejoined the hobby after a longish time off. Short course isn’t super my thing, but I’m warming up to it as you have to this day in age.

Unfortunately with my work schedule and track proximity I spend more time wrenching than racing, which is cool because I’ve always super enjoyed that aspect of the hobby. I never have bought an rtr vehicle and never will.

So I found a great deal on a Durango DESC410R which for a 4x4 SCT really caught my eye. My original plan was to purchase it, build it awesomely and then sell it for approximately what I purchased it for or slightly more. Not to make a profit, but to get the joy of building a kit and then potentially building another after. Well as I kept on with it, building in spare time I grew to like the car figuring I would keep it. I sorta need a SCT anyway as the local track rarely runs other classes I have.

Now that it’s done I’m kinda thinking I want a 2wd SCT. The ‘Rango is cool looking and all, but I just don’t feel a super connection to this car. Granted I never ran it at all or even mounted electronics.

Why 2wd then? I’m digging the simplicity more than anything. As much as I enjoy the working on a car, I don’t really want to take the time to tune diffs with oil or anything too advanced like that. 4wd also has gotten crazy power hungry. With 4-pole this and trying to stuff larger than 2s here I just don’t know that I want to go there. I have pretty high end electronics and can afford to keep up, but do I want to?

What originally brought me to 4wd is they are generally easier to drive faster around a track. I have many other 2wd vehicles and my B44.1 is the easiest by far to drive. I would consider my driving skill mediocre at best. So by that logic, am I shooting myself in the foot by going to 2wd?

If I stay with 4WD I’ll rock this ‘Rango, if I go with a 2WD the Blitz ESE Pro has my eye. I kinda dig the Kyosho SCR too, but maybe not as much as the Blitz especially with a few choice parts.

So what is anyone’s thoughts from people who have more wheel time with a 2WD and 4WD SCT?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

IMO, 2wd will make your driving skills progress quicker. You can then take that finesse to 4wd.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you have more time for wrenching and less time for driving I would recommend the 4wd class.

Whiles it's true running 2wd will make you a better driver, it won't happen unless you make a siginficant time commitment to racing and/or practicing every week and continually tuning your car until you can get it dialed in.

And even then, you might not ever find satisfactory pace with the car.

A 2wd can be a real chore to drive if something is not right. Even minor things can cost you a second or more.

Conversely, a 4wd car will allways be more forgiving to drive.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Go with the class that has the most competition at your local track.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ljh501
My original plan was to purchase it, build it awesomely and then sell it for approximately what I purchased it for or slightly more.
Building the kit doesn't increase it's value.. it decreases it.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
yup.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think what I read into that was he was going to "build it up" with add on parts and then recoup the initial investment, taking a loss. At least thats the ONLy way I can see it. If he thinks it will be more valuable if he tunes it then that isn't happening.

I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP except I'm starting over from scratch. I was going to go back and finish my 1/8th car and run electric but the car is magically lost now. So I was looking at the 4wd Slash. However I really don't want to waste my energy constantly tuning and fixing like I did 15 years back. I'd rather have fun playing so I am looking at 2wd more and more now. if it worked ok when I was a kid 25 years back then it should be fine now.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 316 (100%+)

As far as 2wd goes, stick with what runs at your tracks. Personally I run kyosho, and I have ran ae, losi, hpi and after fourteen years I love my k cars.... While 4wd is fun and fast, 2wd will help hone your driving skills and help with detrmining the better lines and throttle control..
Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

This was never for profit per se... it was for the enjoyment of building a kit. Taking a small loss was always a possibility/ probability. Again a great deal purchasing the kit also helps fight back against that.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you don't want to take the time to tune diff and shock oils then 4wd is not for you. You'll find yourself tearing down diffs quite often and refilling with different weights to get the diffs tuned right. 2wd you'll set up your ball diff and leave it - maybe rebuild it every few weeks if it gets notchy
Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MikeInCtown
I think what I read into that was he was going to "build it up" with add on parts and then recoup the initial investment, taking a loss. At least thats the ONLy way I can see it. If he thinks it will be more valuable if he tunes it then that isn't happening.

I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP except I'm starting over from scratch. I was going to go back and finish my 1/8th car and run electric but the car is magically lost now. So I was looking at the 4wd Slash. However I really don't want to waste my energy constantly tuning and fixing like I did 15 years back. I'd rather have fun playing so I am looking at 2wd more and more now. if it worked ok when I was a kid 25 years back then it should be fine now.
the idea wasnt to tune it at all really... just build it to stock spec
Old 01-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was in the same boat as you not too long back. Was into the hobby years back with a rc10gt and a Traxxas Hawk 2 (man that was a long time ago!) Myself like you didnt care much for short course either. Like you said you really dont have a choice these days. I also wont get to race much either so when I went to looking for a new truck I ended up with 2, one of each. People on here all have great ideas but me personally I want to race 4wd so I bought a Jammin SCRT10 and I want to bash to so I bought a 2wd Traxxas Slash. They both seem to have there place and if my son wants to play at the track he can run the Slash. Parts are cheap and EVERYWHERE! Just my opinion says DO BOTH if you can swing it!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Tech Prophet

Well yes 2wd will teach you throttle control and better driving skills no doubt about it and driving skills . But from exprience a 4wd is just more of a joy to run and not having to worry about traction as much .

I whould get a 4wd sc i think you will like it more.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Grandturk
If you don't want to take the time to tune diff and shock oils then 4wd is not for you. You'll find yourself tearing down diffs quite often and refilling with different weights to get the diffs tuned right. 2wd you'll set up your ball diff and leave it - maybe rebuild it every few weeks if it gets notchy
Thanks... this is definitely the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Originally Posted by XxLoSiRaCeRxX
I was in the same boat as you not too long back. Was into the hobby years back with a rc10gt and a Traxxas Hawk 2 (man that was a long time ago!) Myself like you didnt care much for short course either. Like you said you really dont have a choice these days. I also wont get to race much either so when I went to looking for a new truck I ended up with 2, one of each. People on here all have great ideas but me personally I want to race 4wd so I bought a Jammin SCRT10 and I want to bash to so I bought a 2wd Traxxas Slash. They both seem to have there place and if my son wants to play at the track he can run the Slash. Parts are cheap and EVERYWHERE! Just my opinion says DO BOTH if you can swing it!

Grrrr... I was afraid of this answer. I can swing it, but my collection is already a little silly. I do have some oldies I want to get rid of, others that I'll never part with.

My RC10T2... never getting rid of that thing. My Traxxas TRX-3... there is a Traxxas enthusiast somewhere out there that would love it more than I do.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Tech Champion

Sell your unused cars -> buy both 2wd and 4wd -> keep the one you have the most fun with

From my small experience I never agreed with what people said to me when they adviced me a category. One will say A the other B blablabla. It's about you, your driving, your track, the guys you drive with, etc... Too many people speak as if they would know about what is the best for you. Sometimes they don't even take the time to test for themselves, so do a choice, then test it, then decide from the comparisons you made. This is the only way to learn. Choice, error, another choice, error. Accept the idea you have very few chances to be totally satisfied with your first cars. If all the guys out there would be happy with their cars they wouldn't need to buy so many. It's all about the driver. Once you focus on your subjective sensations, the half of the way is done. A choice can't be objective