Wiki Posts
Search

From Tekin to Orion...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Orion

I recently bought the Orion R8 for my SC10 and i am in love with it! Does anyone know if the hobbywing box will work on the Orion ESC I have read that they are almost identical but i don't want to try it till i know for sure!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

from what I understand you can use it only as a bridge from computer to esc. wont work just with their box.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Box

So i could hook it up to my computer and plug into it and use the Orion software? Kind like i was doing already with Castle?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jnslprd
Also it's pretty cool that the Tekin company reps are always online and willing to help. Don't hold your breath waiting for team Orion to come on here, You will suffocate.
+1...
That my friend is where the battle is won. You can have the best product in the world, but without support, it may as well be teats on a bull :P
Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

I have a confession to make... my orion got hot as sh!t at lunch today. I ran it for about 20 mins. I got in a wreck (landed upside down on a hill) and it started acting up. The esc was at 206 degrees! I let it cool down and everything is perfect. 15 mins and the esc was at 130 degrees.

DOes anyone have any idea what the heck happened?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXX8ight
I have a confession to make... my orion got hot as sh!t at lunch today. I ran it for about 20 mins. I got in a wreck (landed upside down on a hill) and it started acting up. The esc was at 206 degrees! I let it cool down and everything is perfect. 15 mins and the esc was at 130 degrees.

DOes anyone have any idea what the heck happened?
I am guessing you haven't run this ESC much yet? This is part of the break in process. I had my R10 over 200 and its been prefect ever since. Now you R10 is truly DIALED! Congrats on breaking your Orion cherry!
Old 01-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mlucas
I am guessing you haven't run this ESC much yet? This is part of the break in process. I had my R10 over 200 and its been prefect ever since. Now you R10 is truly DIALED! Congrats on breaking your Orion cherry!
???

Did you eat paint chips when you where little?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

???

Old 01-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

???

For the record i can only say that cause he was at the track with me when it happened. The same thing happened to his r10 but it was because the timing on his motor moved.

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO MY ESC!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

my tekin rs heated up a little bit in the beginning but it stayed cool all runs after. it wasn't near 200 but it did get hot.
BTW,im still laughing about the paint chips remark
Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Next time u want to try the orion esc get a hobbywing or speedassions and.put the extra $100 in your pocket. Same esc.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod
Next time u want to try the orion esc get a hobbywing or speedassions and.put the extra $100 in your pocket. Same esc.
That's not true, as far as I know there is not a 160a version of the HW, and I dont know much about SP. A local racer was singing the same tune until he broke down and finally bought an Orion, he quit saying it..Just because the Orion is made in the same place, doesn't mean its made to HW specs, so you need to look into the facts before making statements like you have.. On the subject, it always comes to this CHEVY vs FORD debate, if you want to run an Orion, or HW,or a Tekin or whichever, do it, they are all great esc's, and I hope that you never have issues..I tried an Orion, and it felt nice, but I have Tekin back in my cars now, and I honestly dont feel or see any difference in lap times. And, if I ever have a problem, I know where to get it solved, and how long it will take...
Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flame56mx
That's not true, as far as I know there is not a 160a version of the HW, and I dont know much about SP. A local racer was singing the same tune until he broke down and finally bought an Orion, he quit saying it..Just because the Orion is made in the same place, doesn't mean its made to HW specs, so you need to look into the facts before making statements like you have.. On the subject, it always comes to this CHEVY vs FORD debate, if you want to run an Orion, or HW,or a Tekin or whichever, do it, they are all great esc's, and I hope that you never have issues..I tried an Orion, and it felt nice, but I have Tekin back in my cars now, and I honestly dont feel or see any difference in lap times. And, if I ever have a problem, I know where to get it solved, and how long it will take...
Lol. You're the fanboy that bought a $100 esc for $200. I can totally understand why u are upset!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Wink I have been a Tekin Fan forever

I still have my Tekins... love them.... I have one R10 Pro... I run Boosted 17.5. Had to turn evrything Up all the way to even get close to the feeling of power that the Tekin put out. It is butter smooth, good even stopping power. The feel is alost like a Pillow smooth on the R10. They run cool but I have no more room to boost its up all the way turbo all the way. Maby play with gearing more. My experence with the programing box is the never ending ( connecting) mesage that never went away... can't get it to conect ,yes its powerd up switch on! So all my adjustments were done via the Laptop and some help from my friend Vito. Orion needs to get on the ball and just try to even com close to Tekin's customer service a support. Any body can say one is better than the other but in all reality they have there good and bad points. Tekin will never lie down and let things slide... they work hard and are stand up people who love what they do! Orion.... step it up!
Just my 2 pesos!

Last edited by XXXDad; 01-25-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Love these threads a new hobbyist not knowing will get confused and mislead. To say Tekin is a off and on switch is halarious guess when your at the top people try hard. Tekin's product have set the bar for smoothness if your timing and boosting the crap out of a motor using the wrong gearing for the wrong application is a user error. I've tried many brand Tekin as awhole has the best package. Service, quality,adjustments and performace. Soon to come is another software update improving its current performance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.