R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Your opinion needed - Best ESC and Motor

I would like to know your opinion on what is the best ESC and Motor out there for SCT and Buggies.

I currently have a 4WD SCT, 2WD SCT, and a 2WD Buggy. All 3 have Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT systems, Spektrum Rx and Servo. I like the Castle Creation products, but feel that they are inferior in some way due to issues with their ESC.

I know that this is a subjective type thread and that you will be biased to your current set-up and I am fine with that. Let me hear your opinion please.

I am looking for your assistance to point me in a direction that I might be able to start thinking about as a possible replacement.

I would like to run a system without the need of a glitch buster or BEC. Does something exist?

Is Tekin good? What about Reedy? What other options should I look into?

Thanks!
mdutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

What kind of problems are you experiencing? I had problems with my spektrum servos being more power hungry than my hitec servos and caused steering cut outs, swapped back to my hitec servos and the problem went away.

Depending on the motors you are running the Tekin RS isn't bad or the RX8 would be good options if you needed to step into higher output systems.

I don't have any experience with the current AE systems but haven't really heard anything bad about them.

Honestly after testing out a few other mfg's I came back to castle and really havent had any problems. For a high draw application a glitch buster or BEC is a necessary evil
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Novaks new xdrive pro-sc speed controls look to be some of the best bang for the buck esc's out there used in all three classes you are asking about. I have pre xdrive esc's in mine and have had 0 issues
Tekno 410SCT Hobbywing ProSC
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

lrp sxx v2 and reedy/orion 2010 motor
B.A. Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Go with an LRP SXX v2 series speedo (tc spec for anything 4wd, comp for 2wd modified, and stock spec for 10.5 and slower) With an LRP or reedy motor. I run a Reedy sonic 6.5 in my B44.1 and all I can say is wow. In my sc10 4x4, I have a JR 9100HVS servo and dont need a "glitch buster" like the mamba and some tekin guys need to run with there high voltage servos.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

There really isn't one "best". For maximum performance, sensored is better, although how much better is debatable. For my money, Tekin RS, LRP SXX, and Viper VTX10 are at the top of my list (ive also heard good things about Orion, but not very familiar with them). .. here are some noteworthy features for each-

Tekin- probably the most aggressive timing adjustments, nice solder terminals, very adjustable by laptop (good or bad depending on laptop convenience )

Lrp- probably the smoothest feel by most peoples accounts. All basic adjustments are right on the speed control, and no tuning by laptop/tuner box. Less convenient solder terminals. No reverse availability. Will not run sensorless motors, or if sensor wire malfunctions

Viper- I have limited familiarity with these personally, but I understand they are similar to tekin but with less overall timing advance, aluminum case, and adjustment by portable box.

For what its worth, I run tekin escs in both vehicles. They offered great service with a slight issue on my first esc, and I stuck with them.
Timmahhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 106 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to wstuart

Team Orion r10

Murfdogg 17.5
wstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

castle creations ESCs just don't seem to play quite as nice with the Spektrum stuff as other brands but using a capacitor on the receiver usually clears up issues.

I personally use the MMP pretty much on all my vehicles include 1/8 electric as I like its versatility. I also like the fact they believe in there product enough to offer a 1 year warranty.

Thats not to say the other stuff is bad, they have excellent customer service. But to me, having a longer warranty matters with all else being generally equal.

The MMP for the money (can be had brand new for close to $100) gives a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

personally I was running the MMP with tekin motors and i never had an issue. just recently i switched to the reedy sonic motors and WOW what a difference.

I like castle vs the other's. LRP makes a good unit but im always seeing them over there pushing buttons etc. to get them programmed. VS the castle link or even field link card. You just cant beat how simple and in my experience reliable they are.

as for motor get the reedy sonic line up. they sun so cool and smooth is borderline unbelievable. the same settings that made my tekin come back at 170 had the reedy sonic at 105 after a 15 min run.... that was with the 17.5 boosted. switching out to the 8.5 in my sc10 tonight, just put the 10.5 in my b4.1 and the 17.5 is going in the new sc10 kit for my birthday.

Best wishes,

Trevjonez
TrevJonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
Team Tekin

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevJonez View Post
personally I was running the MMP with tekin motors and i never had an issue. just recently i switched to the reedy sonic motors and WOW what a difference.

I like castle vs the other's. LRP makes a good unit but im always seeing them over there pushing buttons etc. to get them programmed. VS the castle link or even field link card. You just cant beat how simple and in my experience reliable they are.

as for motor get the reedy sonic line up. they sun so cool and smooth is borderline unbelievable. the same settings that made my tekin come back at 170 had the reedy sonic at 105 after a 15 min run.... that was with the 17.5 boosted. switching out to the 8.5 in my sc10 tonight, just put the 10.5 in my b4.1 and the 17.5 is going in the new sc10 kit for my birthday.

Best wishes,

Trevjonez
What? 65* temp difference just by switching out the motor? I'm not going for that one.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Tech Legend

If using the same exact settings and that includes gearing and one motor is more RPMish and the other torque based, I could see a difference (maybe not that big but still) in temps. I had that issue going from a Speed Passion V3 motor to a Novak Ballistic motor.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN View Post
What? 65* temp difference just by switching out the motor? I'm not going for that one.
I can actually. Recently we had a local VTA racer put new bearing in his novak and it dropped the temps a good bit (somewhere in the 50-660 degree range). Could have been that the old motor had toasted bearings!
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
Tech Adept

wow. this is all good information. Thank you for supplying a newbie with some good information. there is a lot to digest so far, but keep it coming.
mdutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Spektrum servos really draw a lot of power. I had the exact same problem using them with a Tekin RS. I just bought the $5 glitch buster capacitor and it solved the problem.

Last edited by Planespotter; 01-16-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: iPhone predictive word weirdness
Planespotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
Tech Legend

are the JR Servos the same way?