Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
light gray rit dye??  how to? >

light gray rit dye?? how to?

light gray rit dye?? how to?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default light gray rit dye?? how to?

has anyone ever achieved a light gray dye of white parts, and if so, what rit dye colors did you mix?

The black comes out purple....
Old 01-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slashdriver
has anyone ever achieved a light gray dye of white parts, and if so, what rit dye colors did you mix?

They have a light gray colored dye that I used on some MGT arms a few years back .
Old 01-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slashdriver

Something went awry somewhere?

I recently picked up an older ride here that came with most of the parts dyed a hideous yellow/orange color. After a redye with Rit black you really can't tell the difference between the factory black and the dyed black parts. In person they look identical, the pic shows a very minor difference in color but I'd never use the word purple. RPM does have a how-to page regarding dyeing parts on their website.
Attached Thumbnails light gray rit dye??  how to?-dscn0590.jpg  
Old 01-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

If white parts are not dyed long enough, they will definitely look a bit purple. Yellow parts do end up somewhat darker if left in the dye bath for the same length of time. I haven't ever tried dying a white part with yellow first and then with black, but maybe it would yield a bit darker result.

As far as light-grey dye goes, check your local fabric or craft shop. I've found that the local Hobby Lobby has a good selection of Rit liquid dye.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

I threw some white parts in with the yellow... figured it was better to have a 100% blacked out car than mostly black with hints of white. The white and the previously mustard colored parts all came out the same shade of black in the end.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Look at Rit's website for color formulas:

http://www.ritdye.com/colorit_color_formula_guide

click on neutral 2 (the long multi-color bar at the bottom), then 186. You still might have to experiment with it to get the exact color you want.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

so, rit does actually have a gray color, but none of the local stores had any (nor even any spot on the shelf for it??). walmart and michaels had a line of dyes from "tulip" and they had the same basic instructions and materials listed as rit, so I got some and tried it. Long story short, it does not work AT ALL.

I did some research and apparently rit has two types of dyes in it, one for natural fabrics like cotton, and one for stuff like nylon (like our wheels). Rit has both dyes in it, tulip only has one, so it doesn't work for our wheels at all (but apparently it's better for clothes??).

Anyways, so you need acid dye (the acid is vinegar) for nylon, and it looks like joann carries the jacquard line of acid dyes. I'll give them a try next before special ordering the rit gray. the Jacquard has some cool colors. I'll post up how it works on some sample plastic.

jacquard color chart:

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/prod...dye/colors.php
Old 01-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

an update for anyone following this.

I found some of the rit pearl gray dye, but the outcome still had very strong purple tint to it, definitely not gray.

will try some professional dyes next and post back.