Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What kind of idiot does this when there is unfortunate kids that would love this car? >

What kind of idiot does this when there is unfortunate kids that would love this car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What kind of idiot does this when there is unfortunate kids that would love this car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:01 PM
jf+
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why does this video elicit such outrage? When I watched it, my adrenaline started kicking in. I wanted to just punch him square in the fat, greasy face. I wanted to "save" the car before he threw it again with his girlie little arm.

But why? There are a LOT of reasons. This feckless moron, and his behavior, stand in stark contrast a lot of things that, in my limited time here, seem like core values in RC culture:

* the care and attention that most folks here put into their RC vehicles
* the ability and desire to improve your gear through small, sometimes very inexpensive adjustments
* the ability to compete with superior gear and win because of driving skill
* the sense of camaraderie and the good-natured, fun-loving, helpful manner most people display
* the budget-minded approach, where these completely unnecessary things are valued, because you might have to squirrel away the extra cash for a while, or hide the true cost from your spouse (not that I'm doing that honey)
* not being petty or childish or generally just a big douche

The difference, I think, between this video and the ones that always show up of people smashing a brand new iPad, is in the details above. You don't work on an iPad, up late, with the smell of grease and motor cleaner in the air. You don't take it apart 100 times in a month and tinker with all the little springs and turnbuckles and gears etc. You don't show up at some random place with 30 other people who are are cool and will all stop what they're doing to give you free advice and free or cheap stuff to make your iPad better (no, an Apple store is NOT cool)... There's a lot more of an emotional, social, hell maybe even a spiritual investment that you make when you get into the RC hobby. It's not just a "new toy being smashed". It feels like the whole culture, in a way, is being smashed.

And that's why I wanted to punch him in the face.

Guys like this, of course, will have no impact on the RC culture. It will exist long after they're gone, which is hopefully soon. There will always be some other clown doing something stupid. As long as you can step back and take a good long look at why it makes you angry, and not how to reciprocate that behavior, then you stay part of the solution, not part of the problem. It's not about taking his right to be a douchebag away, it's about recognizing him when you see him, and ignoring, blocking, deleting, and slamming the door on him until he goes away, so we can get back to enjoying what we love.

Last edited by jf+; 01-13-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jf+
Why does this video elicit such outrage? When I watched it, my adrenaline started kicking in. I wanted to just punch him square in the fat, greasy face. I wanted to "save" the car before he threw it again with his girlie little arm.

But why? There are a LOT of reasons. This feckless moron, and his behavior, stand in stark contrast a lot of things that, in my limited time here, seem like core values in RC culture:

* the care and attention that most folks here put into their RC vehicles
* the ability and desire to improve your gear through small, sometimes very inexpensive adjustments
* the ability to compete with superior gear and win because of driving skill
* the sense of camaraderie and the good-natured, fun-loving, helpful manner most people display
* the budget-minded approach, where these completely unnecessary things are valued, because you might have to squirrel away the extra cash for a while, or hide the true cost from your spouse (not that I'm doing that honey)
* not being petty or childish or generally just a big douche

The difference, I think, between this video and the ones that always show up of people smashing a brand new iPad, is in the details above. You don't work on an iPad, up late, with the smell of grease and motor cleaner in the air. You don't take it apart 100 times in a month and tinker with all the little springs and turnbuckles and gears etc. You don't show up at some random place with 30 other people who are are cool and will all stop what they're doing to give you free advice and free or cheap stuff to make your iPad better (no, an Apple store is NOT cool)... There's a lot more of an emotional, social, hell maybe even a spiritual investment that you make when you get into the RC hobby. It's not just a "new toy being smashed". It feels like the whole culture, in a way, is being smashed.

And that's why I wanted to punch him in the face.

Guys like this, of course, will have no impact on the RC culture. It will exist long after they're gone, which is hopefully soon. There will always be some other clown doing something stupid. As long as you can step back and take a good long look at why it makes you angry, and not how to reciprocate that behavior, then you stay part of the solution, not part of the problem. It's not about taking his right to be a douchebag away, it's about recognizing him when you see him, and ignoring, blocking, deleting, and slamming the door on him until he goes away, so we can get back to enjoying what we love.
110% Agree
Old 01-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Good call jf. I think if the Guy did this in his driveway we'd all feel a little better about it, but being at a track, and to some extent representing the RC community, is what's most bothersome.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

these comments are funny, if i were to read them id think the video was of someone beating a elpless puppy, not breaking a 150 dollar rc car (coulda been brushed n it def doesnt have the rtr radio gear on it) not many videos will put a smile on my face, this one has definately done just so

im guilty of doing this to my FT b4(except the car meet wall part ) jumping it up the back sides of jumps just to c how high itl go, its fun to do, i paid for it ill do what i want with it

hell, v destroyed over 15 REAL cars for my enjoyment, could i have drove them sanely and sold them cheap to a less fortunate family, yes, did i choose to beat them til the only place that wanted them was the scrap yard, yes i did, n i smiled the whole time

people break stuff, the people who are offended are just mad because they felt like doing this before but couldnt afford to

just my .02
Old 01-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cobaltracer1986
these comments are funny, if i were to read them id think the video was of someone beating a elpless puppy, not breaking a 150 dollar rc car (coulda been brushed n it def doesnt have the rtr radio gear on it) not many videos will put a smile on my face, this one has definately done just so

im guilty of doing this to my FT b4, jumping it up the back sides of jumps just to c how high itl go, its fun to do, i paid for it ill do what i want with it

hell, v destroyed over 15 REAL cars for my enjoyment, could i have drove them sanely and sold them cheap to a less fortunate family, yes, did i choose to beat them til the only place that wanted them was the scrap yard, yes i did, n i smiled the whole time

people break stuff, the people who are offended are just mad because they felt like doing this before but couldnt afford to

just my .02

LMAO now thats a good laugh!! if a guy wants to beat the brains out of a toy car he can do so its not anyones call to say he can or can thats his money spent and it sure as hell aint mine lol
Old 01-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 223 (100%+)

Jf+ that was the best post I have seen in along time.
You explained the minds of many rc racers and bashers alike.
Thank You
Old 01-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

That is just crazy I can't believe he did that I would never do that to my car.. I would pay $30 right on the spot instead of watching him break his car.. I would be like this in his face..
Old 01-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

First off what an idiot, and second why even post this video it does nothing but piss anyone off who see's it.......pointless
Old 01-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

at least all that hate/stupidity/attention seeking is directed towards a plastic car... imagine this guy in a real car hurting real people....
Old 01-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i guess he didnt like his setup.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
110% Agree
Yanno i dont get this statement. All my life i see/hear this... what does it mean? If youre scaling something from 0 to 100%... then 110% doesnt exist. 100% is MAX. Its 10% of a totally different 100%, the first 10% of 200%...

Ya dig?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 PM
jf+
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DaveW
Yanno i dont get this statement. All my life i see/hear this... what does it mean? If youre scaling something from 0 to 100%... then 110% doesnt exist. 100% is MAX. Its 10% of a totally different 100%, the first 10% of 200%...

Ya dig?
Apparently you've never done a sports interview. Those guys give it 110% all the time. I've heard some even give as much as 150%.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cobaltracer1986

im guilty of doing this to my FT b4(except the car meet wall part ) jumping it up the back sides of jumps just to c how high itl go, its fun to do, i paid for it ill do what i want with it

just my .02
I think you should refer to your signature for that entire post.

It's not a 150$ car, it's a 250$ car. It's not as much as him destroying it, just the fact that he is at a track, and it looks pretty new.

Can't change anything now. At least he will look like a moron in the rest of RC History.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slashracer111
I think you should refer to your signature for that entire post.

It's not a 150$ car, it's a 250$ car. It's not as much as him destroying it, just the fact that he is at a track, and it looks pretty new.

Can't change anything now. At least he will look like a moron in the rest of RC History.
You see anybody at that track in the vid??? Pretty sure he didn't do it with a dozen kids watching. So who cares. If he want's to smash a new car let him, he enjoys it. How is a basher any different, not all but some push them until they break, he just got there faster..lol

never seen so many cry because a guy decides to piss away a couple hundred bucks..grow up.

If my buddy burns the rear tires off his '08 Mustang should I be pissed?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Tech Addict

Who knows, might have just saved himself a few thousand in psychiatrist fees.*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.