Search

sc10 4x4 question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default sc10 4x4 question...

alright guys i've got a question:

i know this has been done to death but i want a few opinions. i've done a few searches and have skimmed thru the info. but heres my question...

i'm getting my son (9 years old) a short course truck to race at the track. he's raced his rc18t (exotek tek18 conversion) at the track for over a year now and just this year they stopped racing mini's here at our track in favor of short course trucks. he's still going to the track with this 18t but only during practice times. so he's wanting a short course to start racing again. anyway i've been a die hard associated guy since the gold tub rc10's, with a few losi's, yokomo tc's & hpi tc's scattered here and there. anyway even now i run a b44.1 & b4.1. anyway the thing i'm trying to decide is should i go with the associated or the losi truck for my son. as from skimming through the vs. threads i'm kind of leaning toward the losi. but please can i get some input from you guys either convincing me to get the sc 4x4 or telling me to avoid it in favor of the losi?

i'd really appreciate it!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrplease
alright guys i've got a question:

i know this has been done to death but i want a few opinions. i've done a few searches and have skimmed thru the info. but heres my question...

i'm getting my son (9 years old) a short course truck to race at the track. he's raced his rc18t (exotek tek18 conversion) at the track for over a year now and just this year they stopped racing mini's here at our track in favor of short course trucks. he's still going to the track with this 18t but only during practice times. so he's wanting a short course to start racing again. anyway i've been a die hard associated guy since the gold tub rc10's, with a few losi's, yokomo tc's & hpi tc's scattered here and there. anyway even now i run a b44.1 & b4.1. anyway the thing i'm trying to decide is should i go with the associated or the losi truck for my son. as from skimming through the vs. threads i'm kind of leaning toward the losi. but please can i get some input from you guys either convincing me to get the sc 4x4 or telling me to avoid it in favor of the losi?

i'd really appreciate it!!!!!!
You are going to get a 100 different responses to those questions. I would find out what other people are running and what has the best parts support.

Also, I believe the Losi is supposed to be easier to work on so if he's doing the work himself that might be taken into consideration.

Hope that helps and good luck
Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 ^ yea get a its either you get a team associated sc10 4x4 or the losi 4x4 one just see what parts your LHS carries =)

But i would get the losi 4x4 i wish i would of bought one =(
Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

IMO, there is something seriously wrong with every 4wd short course truck on the market. Not just a little wrong, I mean huge glaring problems. For example, the Losi is incredibly tough on bearings and drive line parts, and the parts are reputedly of poor quality and wear out very fast. However, out of the box, it smokes the AE truck.

With a reasonable amount of work, the AE truck is competitive and very durable, but your kid is really going to have to wheel it to be competitive. Plus, it's an insanely fast class and really not for a young driver who is just learning.

May I suggest a third option?

http://www.teamassociated.com/news/l...ad_Race_Truck/

I drove one of these and it was good enough out of the box to win with, has enough power, and it's durable. My only gripe is that the servo is a little slow, but I run XP1015 servos so my perspective is a little skewed.

If there's a 2w class at your track, this is what I'd do. It's easy on parts, you won't have to work on it constantly, and it won't bust your wallet.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by salabarria
+1 ^ yea get a its either you get a team associated sc10 4x4 or the losi 4x4 one just see what parts your LHS carries =)

But i would get the losi 4x4 i wish i would of bought one =(
yeah the race track carries both trucks and the support for both is 50/50. so either way we go would be fine...
Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
IMO, there is something seriously wrong with every 4wd short course truck on the market. Not just a little wrong, I mean huge glaring problems. For example, the Losi is incredibly tough on bearings and drive line parts, and the parts are reputedly of poor quality and wear out very fast. However, out of the box, it smokes the AE truck.

With a reasonable amount of work, the AE truck is competitive and very durable, but your kid is really going to have to wheel it to be competitive. Plus, it's an insanely fast class and really not for a young driver who is just learning.

I drove one of these and it was good enough out of the box to win with, has enough power, and it's durable. My only gripe is that the servo is a little slow, but I run XP1015 servos so my perspective is a little skewed.

If there's a 2w class at your track, this is what I'd do. It's easy on parts, you won't have to work on it constantly, and it won't bust your wallet.
well this is an interesting thought. i never even thought about him racing 2wd. i've just always liked 4wd cars and thought them much easier to drive than 2wd cars. also i'll be the one wrenching on it. so if i did go with a 2wd i'd probably go with a team kit for him. as he already has a dx3s and a receiver. all i'd have to get would be batteries, esc, and motor...
Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I wouldn't recommend the open 4x4 SC class/truck for a 9 year old... wrong class. Id grab him an AE SC10rs, have him race in the 2wd novice or stock class, and call it a day...
Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA

exactly.The 2wd class is much more tame driving wise, and it will cost a whole LOT less in maintenance in the long run.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
I wouldn't recommend the open 4x4 SC class/truck for a 9 year old... wrong class. Id grab him an AE SC10rs, have him race in the 2wd novice or stock class, and call it a day...
+1
Maybe you can start teaching him about the diffrent parts of the car and what does what (Drivetrain,electronics,etc.) and eventually have him start working on the car with u helping him out. sooner or later he wont be needing your help and be doing it on his own.
He has been running rc for a year and is probably getting really good at it and is really enjoying it if he has stuck with it for this long.
It ultimatly comes down to your decision though.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Get the losi SCTE 4x4 it will save you headaches.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

i went to our local track today and found out that they run both the 2wd and the 4wd together in the novice class. the owner suggested that he run a 4wd as he said it would be easier for him to run the 4wd faster. and he said since my sons already a pretty good driver he thought he'd be fine with it. the prices he has are real fair. sc10rs rtr is $299 & the sc10 4x4 rtr is $389. i'm kind of leaning toward the 4wd for $80 difference. he also has the losi scte-ten rtr for $459...
Old 01-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I say go with the 2wd, it even shares some parts with your B4.1..I've had both and honestly my 4x4 has cost way too much in upgrades/electronics, and has made me a worse driver in my opinion. 2wd short course is competitive, always has a turnout, not to mention the price thing with much less wear and tear on parts. Another question that should be asked is do you like spending time between hears fixing his truck or messing with your own? With the 4x4 you'll be wrenching on his truck probably more than you'll like. Good luck with either
Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

well, i brought my son to the hobby shop and he had a pocket full of money he has been saving. we looked at all three trucks (the sc10rs, sc10 4x4, and the losi scte) they had all three out of the box so wee could look at them. after looking at them all my son was dead set on the sc10 4x4. so he got the rtr version and i'm getting ready to slap in his dx3s controller and receiver in it tonight and well take it for its first drive tomorrow. i'll take him to the track this sunday for some practice time and let you guys know what a 9 year old thinks about the truck...