Should IFMAR Add Short Course?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should IFMAR Add Short Course?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Tech Regular

As much as I love my short course truck I think it is too early to make it a World Championship class . Back in the late 80's early 90's 1/10 pan car was huge and got its own World Championship and now where is it ? Give the class some time and see if it stays popular you could always add it at a later time .
Old 01-06-2012, 05:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dano628
As much as I love my short course truck I think it is too early to make it a World Championship class . Back in the late 80's early 90's 1/10 pan car was huge and got its own World Championship and now where is it ? Give the class some time and see if it stays popular you could always add it at a later time .
I hear what you're saying, but check out the original "Open Letter to IFMAR." I think an exhibition class is the way to go.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

IFMAR has done a good job with running the right classes for world championships!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dmatter
IFMAR has done a good job with running the right classes for world championships!
I agree. IFMAR does a great job at a great number of things
Old 01-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by DHOWELL
I feel the same way but stadium should be included too it would revamp the classes too
Having it a Worlds class will not re-vamp it as a class. How many people try and qualify for the worlds team....
Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I say no. I've been in this hobby long enough to see new trends come and go. I remember back in the 90s "parking lot racing" with F1 cars was a big deal for a couple of years...then they faded out. The same thing will happen to SC too.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joelwhite
Im more for keeping it off road classic. 2wd mod and 4wd .
+1
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
+1
I'm curious as to why. Times change and I believe a world championship is more meaningful if the classes are more relevant. 4WD buggy is doing OK, but just OK. It came very close to dying off. 2WD is on a bit of an upswing and mostly due to short course bringing electric back. Plus, I am suggesting just an exhibition class.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NHRCRACER
I'm curious as to why. Times change and I believe a world championship is more meaningful if the classes are more relevant. 4WD buggy is doing OK, but just OK. It came very close to dying off. 2WD is on a bit of an upswing and mostly due to short course bringing electric back. Plus, I am suggesting just an exhibition class.
Same reason they don't race Miatas at the Indy 500, or an f1 race. Sure, a lot of people race Miatas, but that doesn't mean they should be at a top level race.

For the record, I appreciate the new people brought in by short course trucks, and their popularity in sportsman classes, but that's about it. If I was making the call, I'd eliminate them from national caliber events too.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Timmahhh
Same reason they don't race Miatas at the Indy 500, or an f1 race. Sure, a lot of people race Miatas, but that doesn't mean they should be at a top level race.

For the record, I appreciate the new people brought in by short course trucks, and their popularity in sportsman classes, but that's about it. If I was making the call, I'd eliminate them from national caliber events too.
Well, F1 and Indy are spectator sports. RC, even at the IFMAR level, is for us, by us.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Its going to take time, SCT class is essentially 3 yrs old. I'd say give it another few years, if its as popular or more (World wide) then IFMAR might seriously consider.

What I can't figure out is why the SCB (Short Course Buggy) class has not really gain steam. To me the SCB class is closer to the open-wheel nature of 2/4WD buggies that IFMAR rooted in.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Monster Trucks were the biggest racing class at tracks across the country for a few years, within the last decade. While I hope that SC is here to stay, I really don't see it maintaining the longevity of worldwide popularity needed to be showcased on an international level. Yes, SC has brought R/C more into the mainstream, but with mainstream consumerism comes about a 98% "give up" rate for people who get involved with this hobby after the first few months or years. The SC classes at our local tracks are like a revolving door of people going in and out as they figure out if this is something they want to do as a long-term hobby and I can count the people who have stayed for the long haul on probably one hand.

I agree with the classes being included in national level events because they have national appeal. However, internationally it's just not there yet. A mention was made that 4wd is slow/near dead: That is the case here in some parts of America but not worldwide. Remember - we're talking about a WORLD championship event, and regardless of what we Americans like to think, the world doesn't totally revolve around us all the time.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Legend

Short Bus

Not even close to being considered a world level class ...
Old 01-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

IMO, no class that's only 3 years old, no matter how big or popular deserves to be considered for IFMAR Worlds, exhibition or otherwise.

ANY class, not just SCT.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by carcrusher46
...and regardless of what we Americans like to think, the world doesn't totally revolve around us all the time.
I don't believe Americans really think that any more than anyone else around the planet.

The argument, I guess, is whether short course is international. I can assure you it is not just a U.S. fad. Watch a video of short course trucks being raced at the Yatabe arena.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.