Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
MAX AMPS --> EXPENSIVE CRAP >

MAX AMPS --> EXPENSIVE CRAP

MAX AMPS --> EXPENSIVE CRAP

Old 01-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter

I should start making videos. At least they would be accurate.

how about contacting the video maker in question and work with him to make a valid video based on what you felt was inaccurate?

Originally Posted by Midwest_Mudder
i got here as fast as i could... heard there was a dead horse that needs beat
LMFAO

Originally Posted by nexxus
...thats it, I have a Max Amps 5450mah 120C Lipo here and a Turnigy Nanotech 6000mah 65C, will hook up my eagletree to my Flux XS and catch you all later, graphs will be up and you can see for yourselves.
Looking forward to seeing it.

Honestly, I have used maxamps packs in the past and I liked them, however I am very dissappointed in the conversation I had with them recently about there trueC lipo measuring method.

i don't have a problem with them using what they feel is a better measurement of C rating. heck Reedy did something similar in the past with there Nimh packs if I recall correctly and other companies would play with cutoff voltages. However, it was stated what exactly they were doing in general.

The explaining given as to WHY the True C information stating how they measure it and why was removed from the website just doesn't sit well with me I hate to say (was confusing buyers was the reason, however, by not having the information, doesn't that in turn cause confusion when comparing their lipo to another brand especially when it is stated by maxamps reps that its a burst rating anyway? and it could be taken by some that its a delibrate attempt to mislead since the general public thinks of C Rating as continuous, not burst)

So in short, I hope the OP can get his pack fixed via warranty and report back what happens.

and as others have said, all brands can have issues. Nobody is perfect.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

My personal experience, I had ordered 2 Maxamps packs when the Slash first came out. Ran them in that with stock motor/esc. One pack worked great for a good year, the other puffed on me within the first couple months. Both were treated and ran the same.

I have also ran a few Gens Ace packs, and never had a problem with them. Always had great punch. Ran them in a SC10 and a Losi 8ight-E.

I tried a couple Venom packs, one was good, the other had no punch to it at all. I ended up giving that pack away to some poor kid in the rookie class that had his only battery pack (rtr Ni-mh pack) go bad on him before the main.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have been running my 5250mah 100c Maxamp SS packs for over 6 months with not one issue, I have no swelling and they perform as they did the first day I ran them. I always charge at 1C and rotate between heats with the 2 packs I have, I don't know that they are the best but like anything out there things are always as good as you treat them and proper care of lipo batteries is always key. I have another friend who treat his gear even better then I do and his $140 pack (don't remember the brand) is already swelling.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Actually I did contact him through his forums and asked him politely as to my complaints and opinions. I never heard back from him.

I will say this, he does make some sweet conversions and modifications on the chassis side of things. I look forward to those ones.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

if you can afford it, buy it. i personally have had good success with them. although one pack just went. lasted a lil over a year. i had 2 venoms go in the last month.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It seems pretty simple to me. They rate packs based on burst rate instead of constant discharge. To those new to the hobby, all they look for is a higher c rating. Yes, I can see the smoke and mirrors. Rate them like all other manufacturers - end of discussion. I dont care if they perform well or not. However, let's at least be true as to how we rate these things. Stats can always "lie".

I would love for someone on here to actually test various lipos from different manufacturers. Yes, some will say this has already been done. However, I want it done from someone that does not own an internet rc site, and does not receive any money from battery companies for advertising. Let's see some unbiased results. Heck, I don't know if my venom 40c batteries are really 40c!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

honestly this one area I wish ROAR would step in for items certified as ROAR approved.

Come up with a standard method of testing for C rating for ROAR approved packs, and any manufacturer that submits there packs would get a ROAR rating based on that test criteria. Less smoke and mirrors.

It may not be as much of an issue now with C ratings all going up, but packs with C ratings inflated could pose a danger, maybe worse than what the hardcase is to protect against which ROAR requires.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
honestly this one area I wish ROAR would step in for items certified as ROAR approved.

Come up with a standard method of testing for C rating for ROAR approved packs, and any manufacturer that submits there packs would get a ROAR rating based on that test criteria. Less smoke and mirrors.

It may not be as much of an issue now with C ratings all going up, but packs with C ratings inflated could pose a danger, maybe worse than what the hardcase is to protect against which ROAR requires.
While a true minimum C rating could be a safety standard, ROAR has never been in the business of enforcing company's marketing claims. This is an area where a lipo maker will hopefully take the lead (by outselling all others) and forcing the others to fall in line with whatever that standard is.

It's really not too different from what we had in the "can" battery days. Companies would move around the amperage and cutoffs to keep from being directly compared on an even scale. Towards the end, the 4200-4300 cells were even becoming a hazard (saw a B4 chassis literally blown in half once).
Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
(saw a B4 chassis literally blown in half once).
COOL!!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Just give me an accurate rating for the pack's internal resistance (impedance at a meaningful frequency would be nice, too). That is more meaningful than this "C" rating crap.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant
Just give me an accurate rating for the pack's internal resistance (impedance at a meaningful frequency would be nice, too). That is more meaningful than this "C" rating crap.
Don't confuse us. I agree with BLKNOTCH. Maybe it's time for Big Squid to do a new updated Lipo shoot out. I will be the 1st to email Brian requesting MaxAmps on the list.

www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-battery-shoot-out/
www.bigsquidrc.com/li-po-battery-shootout-2

[email protected]
Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BaronMunchausen
Don't confuse us. I agree with BLKNOTCH. Maybe it's time for Big Squid to do a new updated Lipo shoot out. I will be the 1st to email Brian requesting MaxAmps on the list.

www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-battery-shoot-out/
www.bigsquidrc.com/li-po-battery-shootout-2

[email protected]
Awesome links thanx.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Those BSRC tests are not helpful:

1) The scoring system is messed up. Does an 11th-place finish mean that the last-place pack is only 1/11th as good as the first place pack? No!

2) Penalizing the more-powerful packs on the top-speed test for being "too powerful" kinda invalidates that portion of the testing. Get a better setup.

3) The discharge test is mostly useless, since a 30A DC load looks nothing like the actual load placed on the pack during real-world use.

As I said - just give me some good resistance (or better yet, impedance at, say, 1 kHz), and I'll make up my own mind.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Support

Well, finally wrote to max Amp and he has sent me a new lipo free of charge. As I live in England, all I needed was email a picture as proof.
So despite lipo being not very reliable I must admit the support is good
Old 01-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Well, that is great news. So I was correct in post 15 then and I am glad to hear it. Hopefully you have better luck with the next one and thanks for the update.

A lot of issues still, but as I figured, at least Maxamps takes care of their customers just as I expected.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.