Wiki Posts
Search

Castle VS. Tekin

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Castle VS. Tekin

A quick question for anyone that may know. Why is a non sensored Neu-Castle 1512 1Y 1/8 Brushless Motor (2650kV) $90 more than a sensored Tekin Redline T8 1/8th Scale Buggy Competition Brushless Motor (2650kV)?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...s-Motor-2650kV
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...s-Motor-2650kV
Old 12-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Nobody? Would most say the Tekin motor is a better motor for 8th scale buggy being that it's sensored?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Tekin is better IMO
Old 12-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

I know that the metal used to make the magnets in those motors has skyrocketed, but basically there are 3 options that come to my mind.

1.) the Tekin is older inventory and Amain is selling it cheaper.

2.) the Tekin brand is pricing to compete against the viper and hobbywings of the world.

3.) the Tekin was built when the price of magnet materials were lower.

or it could be something completely different, who knows.

At the end of the day it is like Chevy vs Ford. Do you want to take advantage of that $6000 rebate on the Silverado or not?
Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Careful, mentioning Castle and Tekin in the same post is a lot like mixing rocket fuel in your bathtub. Someone's going to get hurt, and there will be a lot of flames.

Personal Opinion Time: There's probably a reason you see Tekin all over the racing front. I'm all for blazing new trails, but it never hurts to run what the fast guys run.

Pricing wise? Who knows. Companies do all sorts of weird crap. Nike Vs. Adidas?
Old 12-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

I just looked some more. As combo setups with the esc also, they are priced similarly. It appears Castle places more value on their motor and less on the esc and Tekin is the opposite.

Both companies are great and have both moved their products way forward from a few years ago. Either should be fine as long as you pay attention to temps and gear right for the track.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One is smooth and great to drive (tekin)..... And cheaper!

The other is like having a on off switch instead of a trigger (and costs more)

If you cant figure this one out ....
Old 12-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Is this going in a buggy? Planning on racing?
I have run castle for the last 3 years and am happy with it. Support is ok. It is very reliable.
Tekin is smoother. Has the best support. I am just on the fence on reliability.
E
Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Cool Wink Wink

Tekin = Trek
Castle = Huffy
Old 12-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Castle in my exprience is pretty relible the 1/8 esc are at least the motors are pretty good and powerfull but yes it is like a on and off switch on the throttle dued to it being sensoredless. But you can make it smoother with easy tuning, Ive never tried the tekin it is cheaper now than castle combo and is smoother which i could use but im going to try out the hobbywing 1/8 scale combo.

I know castle has nothing to do with this but theres no way im paying $300+ for thier 1/8 scale combo now. I hope theres something that can make it cheaper because i like their stuff.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXDad
Tekin = Trek
Castle = Huffy
LOL !!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXDad
Tekin = Trek
Castle = Huffy
pfft!!!

Castle have been doing brushless long before it became popular in RC cars.
When compared to Tekin, Castle are way ahead of the game. Whether it be 1/10, 1/8 or SCT. Castle have always been first to market with quality products. Castle have more confidence in their products as seen by their 12 months warranty vs 90 days for Tekin.
Castle make products for a variety of markets outside of cars, they also oem for quite a few other brands.
Castle also make their products in house, rather outsourcing like most other companies.

For racing, I do prefer Tekin because the ESCs are smaller so fit better in the cars I own (mostly Team Durango)

As for sensored vs sensorless? personal preference. I've raced both and whilst sensored is smoother, I've not seen any difference in lap times. But sensorless is much more efficent and runs much much cooler.
Tekin is good in this space because they offer Dual mode, which is the best of both worlds.

If the T8 is cheaper, it is most likely older stock. Btw, you can get castle much cheaper than the OP links.

For 1/8 cars, my experience is Castle is much more robust, both esc and motors.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

After owning both I would say yes you can probably do similar lap times however why strain yourself..
tekin= race
castle=fun
Old 12-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Originally Posted by littlejohn
pfft!!!

Castle have been doing brushless long before it became popular in RC cars.
When compared to Tekin, Castle are way ahead of the game. Whether it be 1/10, 1/8 or SCT. Castle have always been first to market with quality products. Castle have more confidence in their products as seen by their 12 months warranty vs 90 days for Tekin.
Castle make products for a variety of markets outside of cars, they also oem for quite a few other brands.
Castle also make their products in house, rather outsourcing like most other companies.

For racing, I do prefer Tekin because the ESCs are smaller so fit better in the cars I own (mostly Team Durango)

As for sensored vs sensorless? personal preference. I've raced both and whilst sensored is smoother, I've not seen any difference in lap times. But sensorless is much more efficent and runs much much cooler.
Tekin is good in this space because they offer Dual mode, which is the best of both worlds.

If the T8 is cheaper, it is most likely older stock. Btw, you can get castle much cheaper than the OP links.

For 1/8 cars, my experience is Castle is much more robust, both esc and motors.
BULLS...

castles support sucks. It took me 3 emails and a phone call before those morons could get the energy to send me a reply. I don't care if there support is a very small department they need to get there lazy buts in gear. I sent my MMP back in on november 3rd(for the second time). It got there on the 6th. They didn't look at it until the 22nd. WTF are they doing there? sleeping all day? I called in again earlier today because i was told i would have it by xmas. They said it will be atleast another 2 weeks. Castle can kiss my... for all i care.

tekin on the other hand i have not had a problem with 3 motors and an esc. no problems.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Just cause i can see wher this thread is headed.

tekin=smoke
castle=realiable
from my experince never had a castle smoke localy,lots of tekins though.
both are great its all personal prefrence,like ford vs chev, both companys back their stuff awsome, both can be fast on the track and win, andboth can be smooth(castle takes some work and a good trigger finger lol)

just my .02 take it or leave it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.