Exotek or CRC XXX-T Conversion ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exotek or CRC XXX-T Conversion ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Exotek or CRC XXX-T Conversion ???

Which one is the better kit to buy? They both seem to get the job done in slightly different ways but there is a decent price difference between the two.

If price isn't the factor....Which one is better and why.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The CRC converson is, IMO. Reason is, that the CRC uses the stock Losi XXX_T rear motor plate / t-plate. Much easier to source a replacement.

The Exotek uses a custom part that replaces the stock Losi t-plate. IDK how you would replace just that one part if broke. You might have to buy a whole conversion from them just to get that one part.

Either way you decide, I'd run the new Losi XXX-SCT bumpers front and rear, to find parts easier and they're a direct fit. The the Exotek calls for Losi Strike front bumper and Traxxas Slash rear bumper to complete the truck. The CRC calls for Losi XXX-T Desert Truck bumpers. Both of those older Losi trucks are discontinued.

I run a CRC conversion, but just the parts to lengthen the chassis. Front / rear bumpers and f / r body mounts are from the XXX-SCT.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks alot Rich. It does sound like the crc kit is the way to go.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I have the CRC kit which has another advantage relating to the T-plate, you can convert an MF2 as easily as other iterations of the XXX truck. Can't do an MF2 with the Exo Tech version.

You may find it less expensive to do an SCT conversion using Losi's XXX-SCT chassis.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by brewer15650
Which one is the better kit to buy? They both seem to get the job done in slightly different ways but there is a decent price difference between the two.

If price isn't the factor....Which one is better and why.

Thanks
Why buy a conversion kit at all when all you have to do is buy an SCT chassis, body mounts, and bumpers? If you want to run the longer XXX-T arms, then all you need is the Exotek front axles and speed-t CVDs.

Keep in mind that the Exotek axles use SC10 front wheels.
You can also use the Proline front hex conversion kit too. The axle kit is slightly narrower and can be used with the longer XXX-T arms although I don't know if they will meet the ROAR width requirement if this is even an issue for you.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here is a pic of my sons Exotek conversion. Came out great. Seems to have more steering than my XXX-SCT. Haven't changed the setup on it since 2005 when this truck was last run. I opted for a XXX-SCT Front bumper and body mounts.