Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Helion Dominus SC10 - New to RCs

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Helion Dominus SC10 - New to RCs

I'm brand new to RCs, and actually bought the Helion Dominus for my 6 year old son. I have a few questions I hope some of you experts can help w/:

1. Where's a good place to learn the basics on electric RC Cars/Trucks/Buggeys?

2. I think stock, this truck will be fine for my 6 year old, but if I want to get a better battery, or a better charger, what would you suggest? What specs does one look for for these items?

3. If down the road I want to add power / speed to this truck, what upgrades do you suggest? I hear upgrading the power system to a brushless motor would do the trick? Does a stronger battery help too? What is an affordable brushless motor system for this truck? What specs do I look for to make sure it'll fit?

4. What are some basic, cheap upgrades you all would suggest a month or so down the road?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Helion Dominus

I might be able to help you out. Some good places for help is obviously Hobbytown for technical help, but for driving I built a track in a dirt field and I usually set up cones in my street. A good magazine or iPhone app is RC Car Action that has good tips.

As far as batteries, you want NiMh or NiCd for a brushed setup, becasue lipo can either smoke a brushed motor or it will drain the lipo so bad it ruins the lipo without a low-voltage cuttoff. You want the perfect balance between mAh, which is basically how long a battery lasts, and cells or voltage, which is power. So I would recommend a 7-cell NiMh battery with 5000 mAh. The bigger the battery,the bigger the price, so you get what you pay for.

Brushless motors and lipos are a HUGE upgrade. A 6 year old won't need it, but you probably would. Brushless setups are maintenence free, and they are basically like a huge magnet if you took it apart. Brushed motors are just Direct Current motors. But anyway, if you want a quality name brand, I would go to Hobbytown. The cheaper route would be going to Hobbypartz.com or Hobbyking. Hobbyking is cheaper but the shipping is more because it's in China.
Hobbypartz has free shipping if you spend over 50$

And Lipo is just based off of preferance. Personally 3-cell is too much power for this car and it doesn't fit in the battery slot in the actual car , but a 2 cell is perfect.

Also some more upgrades would be a quicker servo with more torque for steering, and maybe better street tires or dirt tires from Pro-line.

I know its a lot, but I hope it helps.