Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Hasn't E-1/8 Taken Off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Initial cost of 3s or 4s batteres (need at least a couple of each), giant 8th scale motor and esc, etc...

Plus, compared to nitro 8th scale, it's friggin BORING. no noise, no smell, it's just kinda lame to watch and/or drive compared to nitro burning race machines in my opinion.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

i think that 1/8 is still the hardcore rc guys, electric just isnt the same

i have an electric with brushless/lipo and its fun, but i still like my GT with the os .18 more, sounds sweet, more usable power, and regardless of what others say its faster, the electric has more torque obviously but my GT tops out higher

and the vids ive seen of e truggies vs nitro truggies on a track, the nitro beats em, so i think their close enough where it comes down to driver skill
Old 12-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Racers are a fickle bunch. Two tracks near me, both completely different in size and type (clay vs dirt) have basically lost mod SCT in favor of stock SCT. The clay track is so large one would think the larger turnout would be for Mod sct, but stock sct (with open ESC and tire) has trumped mod in the past few months. Generally to compete at a high level in a stock class, it does become more expensive (higher C batteries, higher end esc, running motors at near meltdown temps, ect) So, I don't think it's a cost issue for running e-buggies.

Also, e buggies are actually kind of loud, so I don't think it's a noise thing either. I think if tracks promoted e buggies, then it would take off. Which leads me to think it's more of a localized track thing.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Nitro guys like nitro too much and 1/10th E crowd seems to be scared of the bigger cars.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I think 1/8 nitro has gotten better do to a number of advancements

1) 775 motor for starter boxes. Great power to start engines
2) lipo packs for starter boxes. A full charge can last for days
3) comp engine heaters. Makes breaking in motors a breeze
4) low engine cost. It's very attractive to spend $170 to $ 200 for a GREAT engine

This is what got me back to nitro. On top of running 25min mains. I think that was something folks didn't want to give. And of course the sound

However, 1/8 buggy E has been doing fairly well indoors.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Yeah, but by the time you finish upgrading the Losi it cost more than an typical 8th scale.

I got way more money in my SCTE than I do my Mugen. The SCTE breaks more, bodies cost more. They may look cheaper, but in reality they are not.
Problem is folks don't look at total cost of ownership. They tend to look at the cost in the store. SCT-E $275 vs Mugen $500 and the motor + speed control is about $50 more. They are not thinking about the tuning kit for $130 plus any other extras.

If my friends ran at a track that ran 1/8th in the winter I would buy one again. For now I'm happy running my SCT-E on my local carpet track. This summer I'll buy a 1/8 scale something (on or off road not sure which yet )
Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

I do not understand how a 1/10 SCT 4x4 is the same cost as a 1/8 E-buggy?
A SC10 4x4 is $270 for a kit. a RC8Be is $410 for a kit. a SC10 FT kit is only $10 cheaper than the 4x4 kit..

Motors and ESC's are about the same depending on what you go with.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
1/8th E is still wider (it's why you can't just put a SC body on an Xray or Mugen and dominate the 1/10th 4wd SC class) but more significantly, 1/10th 4wd SC is lighter and slower being on 2s and so on. 1/8th buggies often make turnmarshalls fear for their ankles, 1/10th SC trucks generally do not.
E 1/18 is wider by a very small amount, 10mm or so. Just putting the SC body on it isn't enough, you have to figure out a way to move 8lbs or so w/ a 2s lipo.

I run 4x4 SC and 1/8E buggy. Locally, Fastlane RC Blue Springs MO., the class is dead, I ran on Sat. and there were 3 in the building, 2 of which didn't bother to sign up. So my 1/8E sat and I ran the 4x4sc as usual.

In my area, it's all about 2wd/4wd 1/10 indoors, and 1/8 nitro buggy outdoors. Everything else is pretty much a step-child class.

I don't have much in my 1/8 E set-up, I'm runniing an old rc8FT kit, w/ used electronics, and a cheap 4s turnigy lipo. It's not cheap but you can piece on together pretty easily.

I don't like running the E buggy outdoors, you simply can't hear the thing on these big outdoor tracks. The gas buggy was more fun than the E buggy outdoors for sure.

here's a pic of my rc8 next to my sc104x4.
Attached Thumbnails Why Hasn't E-1/8 Taken Off?-c-list-stuff-013.jpg   Why Hasn't E-1/8 Taken Off?-c-list-stuff-011.jpg  
Old 12-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

here is my 1/8 e-buggy support!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowroad
Initial cost of 3s or 4s batteres (need at least a couple of each), giant 8th scale motor and esc, etc...

Plus, compared to nitro 8th scale, it's friggin BORING. no noise, no smell, it's just kinda lame to watch and/or drive compared to nitro burning race machines in my opinion.
To answer the OP, it has taken off, it just hasn't overtaken 1/8 nitro and it shouldn't. Nitro brings unique elements that electric can't replace (long races, extra tuning, etc). That said...

Drive one sometime. It's nice to know your motor is going to run perfect every time and electrics idle soooo nice. The dynamics are almost exactly the same and I have never been to a club track that runs longer than 15 minute mains on regular race days. I understand that some tracks to run longer but I also notice that when I go to bigger races, all but the most well sorted racers have difficulty getting their nitros to run for more than 15 minutes without flame outs/breaking.

As for speed/performance, they're about the same when the nitro is tuned perfectly, at least as far as lap times are concerned. I have never seen a more powerful E-buggy result in better lap times.

I ran nitro for several years. I converted to electric last year and I'm not going back. Cost of ownership is far lower and there sooo much less "homework". I have better things to do when away from the track then working on my cars.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Adept

This great sound and smell you talk about i would call:
Annoying loud noise and dirty unhealthy stench!

Makes me laugh to see that these are the main reasons why nitro is supposed to be better.
But i can understand the love of engines from some, but to me its not neccesary to make a car fun to drive.
Decent 6S setups cars can drive pretty long.

So thats just the preference of the noise and stench, for the rest electric is better in every way
Old 12-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Champion

im not sure if i read your statement correctly, but 90 to 95% folks i see are able to run over 15mins without flameouts and breaks. I never had an issue running 20 to 25min mains with my nitro buggy and truggy.

Originally Posted by Davidka
To answer the OP, it has taken off, it just hasn't overtaken 1/8 nitro and it shouldn't. Nitro brings unique elements that electric can't replace (long races, extra tuning, etc). That said...

Drive one sometime. It's nice to know your motor is going to run perfect every time and electrics idle soooo nice. The dynamics are almost exactly the same and I have never been to a club track that runs longer than 15 minute mains on regular race days. I understand that some tracks to run longer but I also notice that when I go to bigger races, all but the most well sorted racers have difficulty getting their nitros to run for more than 15 minutes without flame outs/breaking.

As for speed/performance, they're about the same when the nitro is tuned perfectly, at least as far as lap times are concerned. I have never seen a more powerful E-buggy result in better lap times.

I ran nitro for several years. I converted to electric last year and I'm not going back. Cost of ownership is far lower and there sooo much less "homework". I have better things to do when away from the track then working on my cars.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brent701
I do not understand how a 1/10 SCT 4x4 is the same cost as a 1/8 E-buggy?
A SC10 4x4 is $270 for a kit. a RC8Be is $410 for a kit. a SC10 FT kit is only $10 cheaper than the 4x4 kit..

Motors and ESC's are about the same depending on what you go with.
Because that $270 kit needs like another $200 bucks or so in upgrades so it doesn't fall apart on the track. BCE Chassis, Carbon Shock Towers, Alum Suspension Holders, Elite RC Mount, Alum Rear Hubs. Those upgrades alone are almost $250 bucks additional cost. So now we are at $520 the same if not more than some 1/8th scale kits that don't need hardly any upgrades.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro0619
My losi scte kit was 279....mugen and losi 1/8 e roller 500 bucks.......big difference
I'm talking 8th scale SCTs.....Mugen and Losi don't make an 8th SCT yet......

so $279 for your SCTE Kit....Now how much did you spend on your electronics?

You need to include that in your price because the SC8e comes with electronics good enough to race, no need for replacement....I bet ya the price is close
Old 12-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Because that $270 kit needs like another $200 bucks or so in upgrades so it doesn't fall apart on the track. BCE Chassis, Carbon Shock Towers, Alum Suspension Holders, Elite RC Mount, Alum Rear Hubs. Those upgrades alone are almost $250 bucks additional cost. So now we are at $520 the same if not more than some 1/8th scale kits that don't need hardly any upgrades.
The traxxas slash beats any of your 1/8th scales out of the box doesnt need upgrades and running 7lbs cars on 2s lipos is awesome xD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.