Why Hasn't E-1/8 Taken Off?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Hasn't E-1/8 Taken Off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

I had a hard time justifying the cost to jump to 1/8 scale. Electronics alone would have cost me upwards of $700, then there is the cost of the kit. I've spent $800 roughly building my sc10 4x4. I don't know of any outdoor offload tracks in WA and the local indoor track is pretty small.

I'd love an RC8be2, but here is only 2-3 guys that run them locally vs the 10000 sc guys.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Most here agree that 1/8 E is taking off, just not at the rate SCT has.

Drivers who choose or convert to electric generally do not do it to separate themselves from nitro. Aside from running indoors, I don't think most 1/8E drivers care about avoiding those things at all. We do it because it is less expensive, performs more reliably, and is less labor intensive to own/maintain.

I didn't want to run nitro indoors when I was running nitro.
I switched for ease of use ... I had a heck of a time tuning my nitros .... they were a blast when working right. I have no problem cornering a nitro race or helping a fellow racer by pitting for him. I just like not having to deal wih a nitro engine.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Littlejohn Dsgn
I switched for ease of use ... I had a heck of a time tuning my nitros .... they were a blast when working right. I have no problem cornering a nitro race or helping a fellow racer by pitting for him. I just like not having to deal wih a nitro engine.

Its ok for a while but it gets old looking for people to pit for me .
Yea im not the greatest at tuning engines the mateience gets old with the nitros also dont get me wrong i like the smell and sound of nitro . But since ive been running my 1/8 E-Truggy my driving has improved a lot now.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by jimmer411
I had a hard time justifying the cost to jump to 1/8 scale. Electronics alone would have cost me upwards of $700, then there is the cost of the kit. I've spent $800 roughly building my sc10 4x4. I don't know of any outdoor offload tracks in WA and the local indoor track is pretty small.

I'd love an RC8be2, but here is only 2-3 guys that run them locally vs the 10000 sc guys.

You can get the Hobbywing Xeron esc combo for $100 cheaper than the castle/tekin and i have not heard bad things about it the only downside is the support and the warrenty but the 1/8 esc are pretty good these days anyways.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jimmer411

Plenty of nice outdoor offroad tracks here in the NW. Living where you do tho, the indoor stuff definitely favors the SC and 1/10 guys.