Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/8 E-Buggy Help!! >

1/8 E-Buggy Help!!

1/8 E-Buggy Help!!

Old 12-15-2011, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Default 1/8 E-Buggy Help!!

I'm about to make the leap into 1/8 e buggies. 90% just bashing around 10% practicing at tracks. I'm not going to be racing yet until I learn the fundamentals and eventually get into it.

With that said I have a bunch of 3s lipos for my Slash 4x4 PE and Emaxx Brushless. I don't want to jump into 4s or 5s yet until I'm sure I want to race.

My batteries:
Gens Ace 3s 5300mah 30C x 2
Sky Lipo 3s 5000mah 30C x 2
Venom 3s 4000mah 25C

Running gear I'm looking at: barely used MMM CC 2200kv and a Hitec 7955TG at a good price.

I was going to get the Vorza but then the battery tray won't support my 3s lipos side by side. If I stack them I can't run it with the body.

I read that Tim Bump on his Hyper 9e uses a MMM CC 2650kv setup with 3s.

Any other 1/8 e buggies I should look at to run 3s?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Should be a decent setup...I personally prefer Tekin motors, just seem to be smoother when comparing to my friends mmm setup.

As for 3s, that's not to bad of a setup, I think 4s is as low as I'd go but with those 3s, 2 of those is gonna make one extremely heavy buggy, so your gonna almost need to run them in series if you can fit them to run at 6s power.

You can run it with 1 x 3s, and it should last a good while, until you pick up a 4s battery, they run about 40 dollars used, OR you can get some extremely sweet Gens Ace 40c batteries for 60 dollars.

Good Servo choice!

Either way, take some pics when you get it all setup
Old 12-15-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

you can run the 2200Kv motor on 3S, you will just need to gear up more. Keep in mind though on 3S usage, you need better batteries than what you can get away with on 4S.

Personally as the C Rating on your lipos isn't the best, I would say maybe give a used Caster EX1.5R a look. it lets you run dual lipos in a saddle pack configuration so you can wire it up for 6S usage. They can be found at almost give away prices used and handle pretty well.

You will however want to get an appropriate motor for that kind of usage, I think 1400Kv range is common on 6S? Not sure so you should confirm first. The nice thing though is that these lower Kv motors since 6S usage isn't as popular can be found used pretty cheap.

And if you race, you may find that you will be allowed to use your setup.

Also, if you go with a Caster Racing EX1.5R, confirm with the caster guys like hakmazter what motors will fit the vehicle, and if you buy used, confirm if they previous owner did the mod on the battery tray.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Yup I've been leaning on the Caster 1.5R as well...however worried about parts support as it's an emerging company.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Legend

the caster shares similarity in parts with the Mugen MBX5, so i wouldn't worry about that. Heck I think at one time a conversion from caster was available to bolt up to the MBX5.

I would think that if you buy the common items that break like suspension components, those would be what you would primarily see on the wall anyway at a LHS. Things like internal diff components, etc, they have to order just as you would.

I mean don't get me wrong, I understand why you would want to go with a vehicle with more local support behind it, but to me at least, I shouldn't need much parts support especially in a 1/8 scale if the vehicle is built durable in the first place.

But again thats me. You can also see if your LHS can order the parts too so you can support them as well.

Also, if you buy used, the vehicles are so cheap to purchase that if you find you don't like it, its not like you have much into it anyway.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Ok I think I'm going with a proven kit either the hyper9e or Rc8be ft and build it myself leaning towards associated as since the 8.2be is out there's a price drop. Is this a good buggy to learn on and strong enough for bashing?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Legend

I personally had the Hyper 9E, one of my favorite buggies due to its layout. They did what I felt to me at least was the right way to layout everything when using a single battery pack.

It needed a few minor upgrades, and you could order from a place overseas on ebay parts REALLY CHEAP and reliably.

That said, I think the RC8BE if you find a deal on it is good for the money, and you can always get a lot of help with it, etc. I am not a fan of its layout compared to the Hyper 9E or the Tekno V4 conversion for the RC8.

Ideally, if I was getting an RC8, I would but the latest nitro version and also get the Tekno V4 conversion, sell off the nitro specific stuff and go from there.

But starting out, the RC8Be would be a great vehicle to go with.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I own a Caster ex1R pro that I got for the same reason as the OP... I did do some racing in the past (not so much offroad though). That being said, I thought that MAYBE I could run my buggy in some races but mainly I wanted a bulletproof basher. So far I have beat the daylights out of my car and not a single thing has broken. I have had screws come loose, and lost a wheel nut once but not one thing broken. The suspension is superb for the roughest of terrain... Which brings me to the others you mentioned... The two buggies you mentioned were my other top choices prior to sticking with the Caster. I have NO regrets. The RC8e doesn't have anywhere NEAR as much suspension down travel as the Caster so it's more smooth track focused of a vehicle (IMHO). It's a highly technical car as well with a LOT of suspension geometry changes that can be made. Kinda dizzying it could be. The Hyper is pretty bad ass I think, but I would look more at the Hyper Star... Pivot ball suspension in my opinion reduces the complexity of the front end and is brutally strong... I didn't however like the fact that the major weight blocks were at the rear of the car. Yeah, the battery can be moved forward but it is not enough to offset the center diff (in the rear) and the motor (in the rear). That being the case the car (IMHO) could be hard to get to turn on power...without making the rear suspension so stiff, that off power steering will be too loose. Sooo, these are the reasons I went for the Caster. And believe me... the car makes me look pretty good! HTH's
Old 12-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by DTRguy
I didn't however like the fact that the major weight blocks were at the rear of the car.
The weight of the motor and the center diff together is minor in comparison to say a battery pack(s) weight in the same location. When Tekno went from there V3 to V4 layout, moving these components forward from what those who have owned both have said it has increased steering response.

V3

V4

The Hyper Star's layout is very similar in that the center diff is moved back far enough to allow the battery tray to be move in as much as possible.

Having owned the Hyper 9E which the Hyper Star is based on, making it turn was not an issue ... ever. Battery forward, back, etc. and I used a 4S 6000mah pack.

Another advantage the Hyper 9E style layout gives over a regular 4S style conversion is that by moving the center diff to the rear, you can move the other components in closer to the centerline of the vehicle.

This is the reason for me I went Tekno this time, if they were still running that V3 setup, I never would have.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

1 word:

m - u - g - e - n
Old 12-16-2011, 03:53 AM
Tech Master

Yup the Mugen MBX6 Eco was on my list but although I read everywhere that it's nearly indestructible and a strong design it's a bit out of my price range if I'm not sure I'll be competitively racing.

Ended up ordering a FT RC8be last night with a couple of Gens Ace 5000 4s packs on the way to go with my MMM/2200kv and 7955TG combo. Once I learn the basics on this buggy I might move on up to Mugen one day!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alexchen86
Yup the Mugen MBX6 Eco was on my list but although I read everywhere that it's nearly indestructible and a strong design it's a bit out of my price range if I'm not sure I'll be competitively racing.

Ended up ordering a FT RC8be last night with a couple of Gens Ace 5000 4s packs on the way to go with my MMM/2200kv and 7955TG combo. Once I learn the basics on this buggy I might move on up to Mugen one day!

HMMMMMMM Indestructable ehhh, yet laid out identical to my Losi...Give me one run around our Afghan track and I assure you I could bust that thing to pieces. I think EVERY buggy is destructible given the terrain and a persons driving. I have managed to not break to many items because I tend to drive more cautiously than the other drivers out here.

Just saw you got a RC8...Great choice, my friend has one and it is a great buggy....As for moving up to the mugen???What FOR??? How many ROAR championships have they won, as compared to the losi 8 or the rc8? They are not any better buggy by any means, they are just more money. That buggy will be a super amount of fun, my friend has the EXACT same setup and she definetly hauls. He just ordered a 6s for it, so I'll let you know how that turns out, he just didn't like losing to me heheh.

Last edited by 8ightRider; 12-16-2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: saw updated info.