Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Orion R10 Pro Start Power Question.. >

Orion R10 Pro Start Power Question..

Orion R10 Pro Start Power Question..

Old 12-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Orion R10 Pro Start Power Question..

I have a R10 Pro I bought for testing. It is silky smooth and the brakes are amazing. I have also purchased the programmer box and really like it so far. The only problem I am seeing is that if the traction is really high or if you are stuck on a pipe, the car will not get started. It is almost like there is no power going to the motor but once moving everything it is fine. Most speed controls will give the motor full power when you hit the throttle but not this one. When the traction is low everything is fine. Is there a setting that I am missing some place? Thinking I may have got a defective unit, I bought another and it does the same thing. We tried different motors too with the same result. We ran them this weekend at the JConcepts Clash in Florida. The track was very, very high traction on Thursday and you could feel the speedo not wanting to go sometimes. It never got over 100 degrees and the motor wasn't even warm. The instructions are a little lacking hence the reason for the post and calling Horizon customer service won't get you anything but an incredibly long wait time.
Anybody have any ideas?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

adjust the neutral range try the factory setting which i believe is 6% if you go to 9% the car wont hit untill you at the back of the throttle range hope this helps!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

The problem was occuring before I actually got the tuning box but was hoping there was something I could do using the box to try and fix it.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default A couple things to try....

1. Double check your transmitter and make sure everything is set correctly (zero trim and everything set to 100%)
2. Recalibrate your ESC. I had a calibration issue when I first got mine that ended being user error. When I would go into calibration mode, the first blink was so fast I would miss it and hit the button again, thinking that blink was the first blink when in fact it was the second.
3. Check your Start Mode (#4) using the switch instead of the program box (default is 7). I have no idea what its like to run it at 1 but I'd bet its real slow.

Other then that I'm stumped. I have a Pro in a 4wd buggy running an 8.5 and even on high bite surfaces it launches like a cruise missile. I also have a Race in a 2wd buggy running 17.5 blinky. Same as the Pro, runs great, tons of punch.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Next question... How do you reverse the motor rotation direction? The help page on the website clearly states that is an option with the car esc but the option does not show on either the pc software or the DSB-R.. I called Horizon anyways and like I thought they have no clue about anything Orion. So I filled out the form on the Orion website. Anybody have a clue how to do this?
I also found this funny... Straight out of the Orion instructions..
Motor Type:
Select brushless or brushed motor according to the motor you are using. (Please note that this item is only available for XERUN series ESC of version 1.2)
Old 12-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RACETEK
Next question... How do you reverse the motor rotation direction? The help page on the website clearly states that is an option with the car esc but the option does not show on either the pc software or the DSB-R.. I called Horizon anyways and like I thought they have no clue about anything Orion. So I filled out the form on the Orion website. Anybody have a clue how to do this?
Motor Type:
Select brushless or brushed motor according to the motor you are using. (Please note that this item is only available for XERUN series ESC of version 1.2)
In the book I have it says you can only reverse motor direction in the 103, 104, 105, 107 and 108. You can't do it with the 101 (Pro 1-2S), 102 (Pro 2-3S), or 109 (Race 2-3S). It also says you can reverse motor direction by swapping two of the three wires but it doesn't say which two (gee that's helpful) and it also says that it only works in sensor-less mode.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Motor Type:
Hmmmm.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TJMac
In the book I have it says you can only reverse motor direction in the 103, 104, 105, 107 and 108. You can't do it with the 101 (Pro 1-2S), 102 (Pro 2-3S), or 109 (Race 2-3S). It also says you can reverse motor direction by swapping two of the three wires but it doesn't say which two (gee that's helpful) and it also says that it only works in sensor-less mode.
You can swap ANY two and it will reverse direction. But like you mentioned, it then only runs in sensorless mode.

Try reversing the throttle in the tx and re-calibrating? Just another thought.

Seth
Old 12-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TJMac
Other then that I'm stumped. I have a Pro in a 4wd buggy running an 8.5 and even on high bite surfaces it launches like a cruise missile. I also have a Race in a 2wd buggy running 17.5 blinky. Same as the Pro, runs great, tons of punch.
What brand motors are they?
Could it be that the esc only works properly with certain motors or that it can run any sensor/sensorless capable motor? The motor I am working with is a Tekin 4.5 550 which is sensor/sensorless. I have been running that motor with this speedo running in both directions and either direction it does the weird start thing. Now that I think about it the motor acts as if it is sensorless. When I tried a Novak 4.5 550 it works only in the normal direction. When I switch the wires to reverse rotation it won't run at all. I have no idea how it performs as I haven't ran it in the normal direction, in the vehicle yet. I want to say that a Novak will run sensorless in the standard direction but not very well and will get hot. However, i could be wrong..
I also tried a Tekin Pro4 4600 with this speedo and it did work but felt very weak, similar to my Tekin 4.5 550. The Castle 3800 4pole runs fine in either direction. I decided to try this after I saw the Orion unsencored 4 pole.
I guess what I am getting at is:
Tekin motors + Orion R10 Pro = unsencored operation only
Novak motors + Orion R10 Pro = normal rotation only (not sure if it is running sensored or not)
I wonder what other motor brands act like?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

What brand motors are they?
Could it be that the esc only works properly with certain motors or that it can run any sensor/sensorless capable motor? The motor I am working with is a Tekin 4.5 550 which is sensor/sensorless. I have been running that motor with this speedo running in both directions and either direction it does the weird start thing. Now that I think about it the motor acts as if it is sensorless. When I tried a Novak 4.5 550 it works only in the normal direction. When I switch the wires to reverse rotation it won't run at all. I have no idea how it performs as I haven't ran it in the normal direction, in the vehicle yet. I want to say that a Novak will run sensorless in the standard direction but not very well and will get hot. However, i could be wrong..
I also tried a Tekin Pro4 4600 with this speedo and it did work but felt very weak, similar to my Tekin 4.5 550. The Castle 3800 4pole runs fine in either direction. I decided to try this after I saw the Orion unsencored 4 pole.
I guess what I am getting at is:
Tekin motors + Orion R10 Pro = unsencored operation only
Novak motors + Orion R10 Pro = normal rotation only (not sure if it is running sensored or not)
I wonder what other motor brands act like?
I wonder if the motor(s) being a 550 size is the problem? I was under the impression that the R10 Pro was for 540 and the R8 (I think that's what Orion is calling it) was for 550 size motors. Not 100% on that. Right now I'm running LRP X12s in mod and Reedy Sonic in stock. I haven't had any problems with either brand.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

I don't think that 550 vs 540 is the problem. Since it runs a non sensored 4pole just fine. Today I am going to experiment further and see what I come up with.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hmm, not sure Wes... But I can tell you that I have this ESC also and the first motor I tried it with I had problems when hammering down on the trigger, it was like I would pull the trigger and it would just stall for a second or two then start going. This motor was a NOVAK 540 6.5 (Velociti). So I bought an Orion 6.5 and the combo is fabulous.. Best combo I have ever run.. So smooth, awesome breaks.. Let us know what you come up with. - Rob