Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SC-10RS smoked ESC...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default SC-10RS smoked ESC...

Yesterday the speed control in my SC-10RS fried for some unknown reason. Truck is about a month and a half old with maybe 10-12 packs through it. I'm now in need of a replacement and I'm having a tough time deciding. I just got into racing when I got this truck and consider myself a newbie still. The track I race at mostly runs a 13.5 class in 2WD Short Course. I'm looking for a setup that will be easy to work with now but still be valuable as I improve and learn. Not looking to spend a ton of money either. My local track recommends the LRP esc's from Associated but they are very pricey. I was also looking at the Tekin RS and the Novak Hovoc Pro SC with x-drive. My plan was to continue to use the stock RS motor with the new control for now. I don't want to throw money away but I also don't want to spend money on something I don't really need at my level. The Novak looks good price wise and I can get a esc/motor combo for less than the price of the LRP and just a bit more than the Tekin esc. However during searches on here it seems more people have problems with Novak stuff than Tekin or LRP. Is this accurate? Looking for opinions on the best route to go. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by thn394
Yesterday the speed control in my SC-10RS fried for some unknown reason. Truck is about a month and a half old with maybe 10-12 packs through it. I'm now in need of a replacement and I'm having a tough time deciding. I just got into racing when I got this truck and consider myself a newbie still. The track I race at mostly runs a 13.5 class in 2WD Short Course. I'm looking for a setup that will be easy to work with now but still be valuable as I improve and learn. Not looking to spend a ton of money either. My local track recommends the LRP esc's from Associated but they are very pricey. I was also looking at the Tekin RS and the Novak Hovoc Pro SC with x-drive. My plan was to continue to use the stock RS motor with the new control for now. I don't want to throw money away but I also don't want to spend money on something I don't really need at my level. The Novak looks good price wise and I can get a esc/motor combo for less than the price of the LRP and just a bit more than the Tekin esc. However during searches on here it seems more people have problems with Novak stuff than Tekin or LRP. Is this accurate? Looking for opinions on the best route to go. Thanks.

If you bought the SC10RS new. Send it back with proof you bought it new and get a new ESC. I had to do this. My ESC lasted 2 weeks.

I have a Novak Havoc and 13.5T motor in my buggy it works. I installd a Viper VTX10/13.5T motor combo in a friends SC10 FT IT flys
WAY more power and way smoother than the Novak in my buggy.

They cost about 230 with programer. Look very nice easy to adjust them.

The Novak is a good unit very easy to do anything with just feels down on power to me.

The Stock RS 3300kv motor is sensorless. I wouldn't run it on a Sensored ESC Like Novak or LRP. It will cog badly
Old 12-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Tech Rookie

I did buy it new but I can't find the receipt anywhere. Going to contact Associated and see if there's anything they would be willing to do. Have not looked into Viper at all but I will. I have a SC-10 4x4 kit that I'm building and was planning on spending the money for a nice ESC/Motor combo for it which is the reason I was not looking to have to do the same on the RS right now. Is the Novak a noticable improvement over stock?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

did you buy it at a LHS or online? If at a LHS maybe they can help you out with the warranty. If you bought it online, you may be able to get a copy of the receipt.

As for what ESC to get, well, first off I am assuming your track doesn't have limits on escs (ie- no blinky style setup). If that is true, a mamba max pro is a good ESC for the money.

You could also see about picking up a used Tekin RS. Seen those going for about $100.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by thn394
I did buy it new but I can't find the receipt anywhere. Going to contact Associated and see if there's anything they would be willing to do. Have not looked into Viper at all but I will. I have a SC-10 4x4 kit that I'm building and was planning on spending the money for a nice ESC/Motor combo for it which is the reason I was not looking to have to do the same on the RS right now. Is the Novak a noticable improvement over stock?

Yes it is smoother. THe stock ESC and motor are sensorless