Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me to choose! Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Help me to choose! Please!!!

I’m interested to get a buggy / truck and I’m a rookie.

To help you understand my needs I have to say that I don’t have much time to spend and I will not race to any official event besides for fun if I find others with the same RC here in Greece.
I will use it mostly summer or weekends outside my house. I don’t want to spend a lot for start but I would like also not to spend more later to fix a cheap build RC.

I’m looking to
1) Team Associated RC10GT
2) TRAXXAS nitro rustler 2.5
3) TRAXXAS Nitro Sport SE
4) TAMIYA RC GP RTR Nitro Thunder
5) KYOSHO Inferno MP-7.5 Sports RTR
6) Add your opinion.

Someone said me that some brands like Tamiya and Kyosho are low end in general with less adjustments and if I would like to involve more seriously at the future I should go to a brand that make mostly race category cars …. Also that if I get a good RC I will have cheaper parts and mostly I will use whatever part I like with no brand restrictions.
Is that correct? He said that kyosho makes also some good but he suggested to go to a more race specialized maker.( He said that for the lower cost category RTR).
I ‘m looking more seriously the 1/10 category because I want to keep the cost down but I’m not sure that it works that way.
I reading a lot about gears ,metallic ball bearings ,one vs two speed ,2WD vs 4WD and Pull Start or Non Pull Start Engine?
I also want someone to explain me what’s the difference between the trucks and the buggy’s except the exterior cover.

I’m lost …
Thanks
armaco

p.s.
Please if you willing to help and write me some kind words please explain me why…
I think that’s the better way for you to help and for me to learn.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:42 PM
TCR
Tech Addict

Default Re: Help me to choose! Please!!!

Originally posted by armaco
I’m interested to get a buggy / truck and I’m a rookie.

I’m looking to
1) Team Associated RC10GT
2) TRAXXAS nitro rustler 2.5
3) TRAXXAS Nitro Sport SE
4) TAMIYA RC GP RTR Nitro Thunder
5) KYOSHO Inferno MP-7.5 Sports RTR
6) Add your opinion.

p.s.
Please if you willing to help and write me some kind words please explain me why…
I think that’s the better way for you to help and for me to learn.
My opinion, and I've been doing this for 15 years and helping get people into there first cars.

rc10gt is good, parts avalible but it is old and kinda outdated, all the electronics are exposed, which is not good, and AE is developing a new one.

Taxxas isn't bad, but I would personally stay away from it, Chessy starts are not necessarlly the best things for beginers, there over all quality is lower.

Tamiya is actually a pretty cool looking car, seems like a good basher, but parts avalibility is going to be bad, and it's not likely many will be sold.

The 7.5 is a pretty awsome machine, but I wouldnt necessarily start out with something like that, tuning and learning on a 1/8 scale buggy can be more of a pain then actual fun. i'd start with 1.10 and move up to 1/8.

I would choose for beginers, this
http://www.teamlosi.com/kits/xxxntrtr2.htm

It's quality, has a good radio, easy to tune for beginers, uses a roto start so there is less drag, you can always upgrade it if you wanted to race in the future. the electronics are3 all sealed from the elements. the price might be a touch more, but in the long run it's well worth it and you will thank me.

this is just my opinion, I am not affiliated with losi in any way.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

aye, my vote would be for the rc10gt or xxx-nt trucks. very adjustable, reasonably durable, and highly upgradable. with any car or truck, they are only as tough as the wall you hit. take it easy and use some noggin power, and just about everything on your list will do alright. on that note, ive seen a handful of rustlers and nitro sports on my workbencg, so id probably stay away from them. look around at your local shops, the parts you have available should also weigh on the brand you buy. even I wouldnt recommend an associated truck to someone who lives 2 hours from an associated dealer

oh and the GT's open electronics issue, can be solved with a $10 part from rpm
Old 02-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Suspended

Location: please try not to look at my avatar to long may cause u know what

i have a rush evo and is a great start up kit.u cand finde parts for it all over the place and its new so u wont have to wory about bying it and then 3 months latter a newer version comes out.a xxxnt is great but i woulnd suggest it,well thats my opinion anyway.its more of a racing truck than bashing and learnig.and what are u planning on doing bashing or racing?
Old 02-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Suspended

Location: please try not to look at my avatar to long may cause u know what

ops forgot to mention this but whatever kind of car u get plz get a fail safe they will save u lots of money and possibly lawsuits in the futer lol
Old 02-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Tech Rookie

I went down to the stores and saw some more today...

1) Kyosho Mad Force 1/8 RTR
2) Mega Force 1/10 RTR
3) GV (Great Vigor) Rex-x 1/8 buggy RTR
4) GV (Great Vigor) Mammoth 1/8 Monster truck RTR
5) Inferno Mp7,5 RTR 1/8 Buggy

I found the first choice at a good price comparable to the other monster trucks and I'm thinking of it.
Also the two GV as alternative were at a good price too.
The salesman said that the 3) is fully adjustable but I'm not sure about the brand quality.(It seemed very well builded to me.)

I had a felling that the Mad Force incorporates a very simple type of suspension and I’m not sure if it’s good compared with Traxxas ( Revo ) , Tamiya , GV , Team Associated …. Similar products. I like its 3 speed system which gives acceleration and speed , the two brake system … but I’m not experienced to evaluate the rest components.

So the question is which monster truck or which buggy ? and why …..
Old 02-03-2005, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

My vote is for the XXX-NT Sport II as well. Great platform, great truck, great equipment.

And great support..if you have any problems with your Team Losi products, let me know and I'll take care of you.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

I agree with Aaron. XXX-NT is an awesome platform. I think at Stormer Hobbies they have it on sale (the ready to run) for like 220 ish. Which is a good deal I think. (Really I'm not advertising, the price just caught my eye last time I scanned their site)
You won't be disappointed with the Losi.