Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushed = Crap! Or does it??? :-)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Brushed = Crap! Or does it??? :-)

When I was a typical 12 year old kid runnin a Losi XXT Graphite Plus I would charge it, run it, charge it, run it!!! I ran that car so hard!!! Raced/bashed!! Everything!!! It had a Reedy motor in it. That's all I knew back then! Didn't know the turn of the motor, didnt know what a pinion was, or even what it did!!! I didn't know ANYTHING!!! That car ran perfect for 3+ years!!! Maintained power, always competitive, & decently fast!!!
Now I get back into the hobby 13 years later and I see all this off the wall stuff about brushed motors! Only good for 15 runs! Cut the comms! Change the brushes!! Do this & that or it will blow/burn up!! BL is huge on the scene!!! Didn't even exist back then!!! Lipo batteries and such!!! Like the title says, I guess I was just lucky! That car was ridden hard and put up wet the entire time I owned/raced/bashed it!!! It didn't die till it got ran over by another kid on a bike!!! Have brushed motors just taken that big of a shit since I was last into this obsession???
Old 12-01-2011, 08:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dhthmn114
When I was a typical 12 year old kid runnin a Losi XXT Graphite Plus I would charge it, run it, charge it, run it!!! I ran that car so hard!!! Raced/bashed!! Everything!!! It had a Reedy motor in it. That's all I knew back then! Didn't know the turn of the motor, didnt know what a pinion was, or even what it did!!! I didn't know ANYTHING!!! That car ran perfect for 3+ years!!! Maintained power, always competitive, & decently fast!!!
Now I get back into the hobby 13 years later and I see all this off the wall stuff about brushed motors! Only good for 15 runs! Cut the comms! Change the brushes!! Do this & that or it will blow/burn up!! BL is huge on the scene!!! Didn't even exist back then!!! Lipo batteries and such!!! Like the title says, I guess I was just lucky! That car was ridden hard and put up wet the entire time I owned/raced/bashed it!!! It didn't die till it got ran over by another kid on a bike!!! Have brushed motors just taken that big of a shit since I was last into this obsession???
Not crap, but brushed along with nicd or nimh = a lot more maintenance, less power (maybe not initially) and just plain way more work to keep them running in top form. The Lipo's nowadays dont fade, longer life, and never have to discharge. If you raced back then, then you will realize quickly what all that adds up to. Brushless motors are just plain easier, less maintenance, I wouldn't go as far to say faster, but they don't heat up as much, so your last lap is nearly as good as your first, after as much as 20-25 minutes..Electric is evolving...
Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I was the same way. Back in 2003 or so I ran trinity motors in my stampede and although i knew how to work on it (heck i built it from a kit... Wish they still sold a stampede that way!) and a good idea on how to run the right gearing, I still ran the guts out of it. Never broke in a motor, just wide open all the time, never cut the comm's and my trinity motors ran seriously forever. Never had a problem from one.

Nowdays, it seems i have more problems from brushed motors than i did back then. I attribute this to more than a few reasons:

1- There are no real quality brushed motors anymore. The only brushed motors you can even buy other than a couple cheap aftermarket ones, are the RTR variety like the reedy radon, traxxas titan, losi LMK-32, HPI Firebolt, etc... They are all decent motors, but dont compare to the quality of the trinity's i used to run. So yes, brushed motor quality has gone downhill IMO.

2- High capacity, high amperage batteries. When i used to run my stampede I was running Nicd packs. 1500mah with 5-7 minute run times. How much damage can you really do in that amount of time? lol Now I can get 40 minutes on my brushless trucks with 3 times the power

3- Higher expectations- It used to be if you had an electric that ran 30mph you really had something. Now with rc's coming out of the box at 60+mph and brushed motors running 30mph, its easy to expect too much out of them.

4- Most brushed motors now are not serviceable. I used to be able to take my trinity's apart, inspect everything, clean whatever needed it, and then stick it back together. I never cut the comm, but i did do some simple maintenance when needed. You cant do that now, so when the motor is done; its done.

Im sure there are more reasons, but those are my views. Im pretty much done buying brushed motors. They arent worth what they cost anymore since you can get a seriously good brushless system for $70-80 shipped to your door that will run 40+mph on a 2 cell lipo, get 30-40 minutes of runtime, and come in after running that long with the motor less than 120*. No maintenance, programmable so that you can set it up how you like the powerband, etc... Technology keeps getting better, and prices keep coming down. Its a win-win situation and will most likely be the death of the brushed motor.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Old 12-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This is all new to me also. Im lost on all this and that.. I know I have a Sc10 with reg 7.2 volt battery and it runs a very long time.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
If all your going to do is creep every thread I post and reply with stupid shit like this then FUCK U!! Seriously!!! Are you in third grade or some shit?? Go back to playing your N64 and bug off!!! Doesn't take much of a man to be a bully in an R/C forum!!!! Faggot!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

^ I like how you are cussing at an adult... not a third grader, i have never heard of a third grader using photoshop REALLY GOOD. Maybe you are the 12 year old because who says "faggot" anymore, personally CraigMba's replies are funny as hell, so get your panties out of a bunch...troll...
Old 12-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Tech Addict

So now this guy is a forum icon because he knows how to use photoshop??? Too bad they teach u that in high school comp class!!! I love how EVERYONE is 7' tall and the worlds biggest badass behind a keyboard... Like I said before, it takes an awfully big man to be a bully in an online forum!!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

If all your going to do is creep every thread I post and reply with stupid shit like this then FUCK U!! Seriously!!! Are you in third grade or some shit?? Go back to playing your N64 and bug off!!! Doesn't take much of a man to be a bully in an R/C forum!!!! Faggot!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So now this guy is a forum icon because he knows how to use photoshop??? Too bad they teach u that in high school comp class!!! I love how EVERYONE is 7' tall and the worlds biggest badass behind a keyboard... Like I said before, it takes an awfully big man to be a bully in an online forum!!
Bully? 7' tall? And a badass? Your a newb making a thread about brushed motors, when you can SEARCH THEM... didn't say he was an icon either, learn to read ass#%^* it's funny because I never say anything to anybody on the forums about being a doushe...
Old 12-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Tech Addict

Well I'll make sure to buy some flame retardant clothing next time I have a fucking post on this website!!! Go ahead.. Quote it and come back with a silly saying or picture!!! Hard to believe I served 5 years overseas for assholes like you!!! Have a wonderful evening!!! Heaven fucking forbid I try to get back into a hobby I ONCE ENJOYED and have some questions!!! Shit on it!!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I know I don't miss my com lathe.....
Old 12-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Well I'll make sure to buy some flame retardant clothing next time I have a fucking post on this website!!! Go ahead.. Quote it and come back with a silly saying or picture!!! Hard to believe I served 5 years overseas for assholes like you!!! Have a wonderful evening!!! Heaven fucking forbid I try to get back into a hobby I ONCE ENJOYED and have some questions!!! Shit on it!!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

sorry had to do it...

but in all seriousness calm down man, the swearing and raging is just gonna make it worse if not get you a nice little vacation from the forum, they were trying to answer your questions until you got offensive over a simple picture
Old 12-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Tech Addict

I give up.... (soon to be followed by another retarded picture)... Just wait... I can almost assure you it's coming... I'm so proud of those who know how to copy and paste photobucket links!!! Have at it!!! This is now the official photobucket thread!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.