Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HPI savage .25 starting problem, please help!!! >

HPI savage .25 starting problem, please help!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI savage .25 starting problem, please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Angry HPI savage .25 starting problem, please help!!!

I am new to the forum and new to nitro r/c. I just got the new HPI savage with the .25 engine and roto-start. The hobby shop i bought it from did all the break in and tuning for me before i went and picked it up. The day i picked it up i brought it home, read the manual and everything. It started good the first 2 times. The 3rd time i went to start it, it didn't sound right, and wouldn't start. I did all the trouble shouting as in if it was flooded and all. It still didn't seem or work right. This might not be whats going on, but from my knowledge, when the glow plug is out, the piston pumps fine when i do the roto-start. It sounds as if when i put the glow plug in and try to start it, the pistons sometimes doesn't pump and the starter isn't turning the motor, but every now and then it does, and i get a little ignition but not enough to start the motor. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks ya'll very much.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Hey man go to www.ausrc.com its a forum with mostly Savage owners that could help you out
Old 12-28-2004, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Your engine is probably flooding. Savage draws fuel pretty easy due to tank position. Make sure your glow ignighter is fully charged (if you have the style that takes alkyline batteries, go get a rechargable NiCd or NiMH type). Make shure your starter battery is fully charged. When the engine turns over well, then stops or slows dramatically, it is getting to much fuel. Pinch the fuel line off untill it starts, clear out engine and retune(lean out a little bit).
Old 01-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Same type problem with .25 HPI engine

Hi all,

Just bought a new HPI Savage SS, finished building and try to start the engine. No Go!

I set the high/low speed needles to the factory settings of 3 1/2 turns from close (Well, the manual said 4 1/2). Set the idle screw to allow 2 mm opening in the carb (like the manual said). Checked for leaks in the tubes and tank. Both glow plug works and glow igniter is charged.

My problem is this, if the carb is closed, I can not start the engine. If I open the carb or adjust the idle screw, I can start the engine, But of course to fast were the truck is moving. Also, I have seen this a couple of times. I got the engine to start and almost to idle. But when I remove the igniter, the engine stops???

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Team Duratrax ausrc.com is NOT good for tech help.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

If you have to open the throttle to start the engine, that is usually a sign of a lean low end setting. Results in insufficient fuel draw (at idle) to start the engine. Try richening low-end.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the help. I tried richen the low-speed needle, that seemed to work at times, but is still really hard to start.

Here is my problem now, every now and then the engine just stalls . Also, there is NO acceleration when it does ran.

I had it run only one time then is stalled after braking. It ran for only a minute, barely going maybe 10 mph.

This nitro stuff is for the birds, I can NOT get this thing to work at all, and its NEW!

Nick
Old 01-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Update to my problems, I read somewhere to check the flywheel, to see if is loose, and it was.

My question is why would a loose flywheel make a engine hard to start? Also, my clutch springs are now broken, would the flywheel be the fault to that as well? Remember all this stuff is new. I also locked down that flywheel with tread lock, I don't know how it got loose. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2005, 03:52 AM
Suspended

Location: please try not to look at my avatar to long may cause u know what

the first person that started this thread u might have a problem with your on way bearing. if the motor sometimes roles over and sometimes dosent u have ga oil or somhing in your one way so your on way isint caching the shaft to turn it over.to fix this it is pritty easy.

fist bull out the motor
then take off the rotostart plate off of the motor
then u should see the onway.
take it off of the shaft and clean it an see where the greas oil or gas is gomming from.[make sure u note ich way ur onway comes off]
put it all backtogether and see if that works.

i hade the exat same broblem with my rish evo the greas was comming from the back plate to the motor the screws wernt tight enough and oil and gas was leaking.