Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Lipo Batteries

I am not new to r/c, but I am new to the electric arena. I have been looking at getting a new 1/8th scale electric buggy. I have the motor/esc combo selected, I haven't quite narrowed down the car yet and yes cost is a factor! After reviewing some of the cars and their recommendations for battery size I need help in understanding battery configurations. I have come to and understanding of KV rating on the batteries.

The Associated car says it needs a 4S pack, the Mugen says it can use 2-2S packs (recommended) or a 4S pack, and the Serpent uses 2-2S packs.

The question is: What are the benefits of using 2-2S versus 1-4S pack?

Cost is a factor because 1-4S pack is similar if not a little more than one 2S pack.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The benefits of using 2s packs is that you can also use them in other vehicles if you choose to de so, i.e. 1/10 scale rc's. A 4s pack is impractical for anything but a 1/8 buggy or truggy or possibly monster truck. I cant think of any other reason to get 2-2s packs over a 4s pack. Hope that made sense.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

honestly I have been testing these nano tech 60C packs from hobbyking $40 they are just as good as my Thunderpowers.

I run 2-2 on my 1/8 it lowers the CG of the buggy and more balanced. But not all 1/8 buggys are the same.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

These comments make sense. I can see how it lowers the c/g and helps balance the car. I just didn't know if there was other reasons such as durability or longevity of the batteries. Or even have something to do with the charging/discharging cycles of the batteries.

Looks like I got a lot to learn. I'm getting to old for this!!!