Diff Oil Question RC8Te

Diff Oil Question RC8Te

Old 11-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Diff Oil Question RC8Te

Quick question regarding diff oil.

How often does one change diff oil?
How much oil do you put in the diffs, enough to coat/fill or just light lube?

And for the best setup I'm going with 7 - front, 10 - center, 5 - rear. Anyone know if anything is egregiously wrong with this setup?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0B46...eature=related
Old 11-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Tech Prophet

I change my diff oil in about 9 runs at most when its starts to turn a dark black and has a smell to it .

I fill my diffs on my RC8TE like the manuel says to the top of gears and on the sides behind the gears also.

I run 7,10,5 on my RC8TE on a dry/dusty track its not bad it will reduce wheelspin which is a good thing on that kind of surface and it will make your truck come out straighter out of turns. Although i think 3k seems better for that condition though .

10K in the center diff is good espially if you want more torque out of the corners although you do get more oversteer. Seems to work fine on most sufaces to me but on a high traction surface it will wheelie at times.

What kind of track surface do you race on ?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by tc5 man
I change my diff oil in about 9 runs at most when its starts to turn a dark black and has a smell to it .

I fill my diffs on my RC8TE like the manuel says to the top of gears and on the sides behind the gears also.

I run 7,10,5 on my RC8TE on a dry/dusty track its not bad it will reduce wheelspin which is a good thing on that kind of surface and it will make your truck come out straighter out of turns. Although i think 3k seems better for that condition though .

10K in the center diff is good espially if you want more torque out of the corners although you do get more oversteer. Seems to work fine on most sufaces to me but on a high traction surface it will wheelie at times.

What kind of track surface do you race on ?
Thanks for the help.

I mainly run on pretty hard packed tracks with the occasional run on a track with semi-hard packed and loose dirt in the corners
Old 11-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Gymkhana
Thanks for the help.

I mainly run on pretty hard packed tracks with the occasional run on a track with semi-hard packed and loose dirt in the corners

ok yea 7,10,5 diff setup should work pretty good for that track condition but it does depend on the driver.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gymkhana
Quick question regarding diff oil.

How often does one change diff oil?
How much oil do you put in the diffs, enough to coat/fill or just light lube?

And for the best setup I'm going with 7 - front, 10 - center, 5 - rear. Anyone know if anything is egregiously wrong with this setup?
I change the diff fluid after 7-8 practice/race days. I fill them up exactly as the manual states. I still run the stock fluids (7-7-7) and I'm happy with it.

There is a very good video on youtube on how to properly fill your AE diffs.