Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
what do you clean with >

what do you clean with

what do you clean with

Old 11-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Tech Rookie

I use a toothbrush, paint brush, rags, paper towels, cotton swabs.

To clean the RC after bashing or racing at the track, I use the paint brush to remove the dust and debris.

Once a month, I disassemble the RC, to change the shock/diff oils, make an inspection of the parts, and do a complete cleaning.

Sorry if my english was bad.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Lungs when compressed air is not available. Gotta love carpet.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bdyche
I use a combination of rags, detailing brushes, a tooth brush and Q-tips to clean my truck, and a scribe to clean out the screw heads. I use a basic green cleaner (personally I use 7th generation cleaner because that's what is on hand at my house) and after a good clean I put a light coat of WD-40 on the chassis to help it resist dirt buildup.
Originally Posted by dfsc10
i strip the electronics down. spray the entire thing with simple green, air compressor it and whip the rest off with any type of shop towel. I personally do this process again. then i take wd-40 and spray it everywhere and air compressor it down and whip everything off again i only do this one time. then reinstall your stuff!
Holy smokes guys....I feel so lazy. Is it really necessary to complete this high level of maintenance after each practice or race day?
Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

Dishwasher but use the fine china setting.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Old 11-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 223 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solidd33
Holy smokes guys....I feel so lazy. Is it really necessary to complete this high level of maintenance after each practice or race day?
Oh yeah.. I use a mixture simple green and WD40. 50/50 and completely clean after every race.. shoot I pledge the body between runs

The wife buys those mega packs of q-tips just for my RC's
Old 11-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Of course! Nobody wants a dirty car on a offroad track...sheesh!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

-after every race, I strip all electronics out of vehicle, spray on Kal-Gard degreaser and O'donnell speed wash, aggitate with stiff bristle paint brush, let sit for maybe 2-3 minutes, then rinse off with hose

-then completely dry vehicle (compressor and towels), then spray WD-40 over entire vehicle

-after vehicle dries again, spray KG prep n shine over entire truck

-use warm water for body and dry with rag
Old 11-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by trd4life
-after every race, I strip all electronics out of vehicle, spray on Kal-Gard degreaser and O'donnell speed wash, aggitate with stiff bristle paint brush, let sit for maybe 2-3 minutes, then rinse off with hose

-then completely dry vehicle (compressor and towels), then spray WD-40 over entire vehicle

I believe in taking good care of your belongings but all these responses seem like overkill. Although, I'm going to guess in the long term that caring for your vehicle like this would enable you to have a 4yr old car that looks brand new. I'm just not convinced that cleaning this often and this in depth is a necessity for such results.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trd4life

Kal-Gard products are the best! Use the KG 30/30, prep and shine and some pledge keeps my stuff looking brand new.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I believe in taking good care of your belongings but all these responses seem like overkill. Although, I'm going to guess in the long term that caring for your vehicle like this would enable you to have a 4yr old car that looks brand new. I'm just not convinced that cleaning this often and this in depth is a necessity for such results.
That's cool for you to do what ever you want. For sure. But...

I don't think it's to increase the life of the car. Not for me anyway. After a full tear down and rebuild assessing what needs replacing or tweaking. The car will run really well on the track. Especially important for big races.

Pulling a car apart brings to light problems like bent hinge pins, rust in the pin holders, shot bearings, any hidden cracks, need to re-shim, sticking of arms.

I don't care what set-up you have on your car, it's not going to be dialled if you have any of these issues. You can't tell any of these things by just looking at the car in one piece with dirt all over it.

If you're 100% into racing and getting good results this is path of the course.

Plus, if it's your thing, having a clean and prepped car is all part of racing Zen.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 1
That's cool for you to do what ever you want. For sure. But...

I don't think it's to increase the life of the car. Not for me anyway. After a full tear down and rebuild assessing what needs replacing or tweaking. The car will run really well on the track. Especially important for big races.

Pulling a car apart brings to light problems like bent hinge pins, rust in the pin holders, shot bearings, any hidden cracks, need to re-shim, sticking of arms.

I don't care what set-up you have on your car, it's not going to be dialled if you have any of these issues. You can't tell any of these things by just looking at the car in one piece with dirt all over it.

If you're 100% into racing and getting good results this is path of the course.

Plus, if it's your thing, having a clean and prepped car is all part of racing Zen.
As a rc racing rookie, I was unable to see this point of view. You make great points, but it's much cheaper to avoid noticing these things I'm still sorting out what "whatever I do" will be moving forward.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXDad
Simple Green, spray it all down but stay away from electrics, Use tooth brush and a rag. Spray again, use compressed air and help along the dirty spots with thar toothbrush, when its clean spray it down with wd40 and lightly use air to spred the wd40 not blowing it all off but not leaving it a dripping mess. Then wipe the exposed parts with a rag... put her back to bed! Body simple green and water be carefull on onside not to mess up ur paint! Go easy on inside of body!
This is the same method I use, and it works great!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

As a rc racing rookie, I was unable to see this point of view. You make great points, but it's much cheaper to avoid noticing these things I'm still sorting out what "whatever I do" will be moving forward.
Cool. Well then, your best approach is to enjoy yourself as much as possible at the moment. Tackle these extra things in your own time.

Once you start getting faster, you'll be hungry for tricks/tips to make your car quicker and handle better. The better a car handles, the less likely it is to be hard to control over jumps etc.. and thus less crashing.

Enjoy.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:53 AM
Tech Champion

As 1 stated, cleaning a car is the best occasion to check if everything is fine. Most of the time I just need brushes but when it's really dirty then I disassemble the car. It doesn't need so long in brushless, especially on a JQ.

The more you disassemble the car and see what is wrong the more you understand how it works and learn to anticipate. You don't need to do it too often, but it's also part of the pleasure IMO. Just to have a nice free movement of the parts, the car has to be clean.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.