Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
MBX5 or MBX5 PROSPEC?  Realworld differences? >

MBX5 or MBX5 PROSPEC? Realworld differences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MBX5 or MBX5 PROSPEC? Realworld differences?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default MBX5 or MBX5 PROSPEC? Realworld differences?

I am a carpet racer onroad in the winter and historically, a electric truck racer in the summer. For next season, I am going to run 1/8th scale as well.

What are the real differences for an average racer between the two? I am looking at $400 for the MBX5 or $700 for the Prospec.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I say "follow the way of the Waldron" and you can't go wrong.

Don't tell anyone, but between you and me......I'd get the 777. But, ehhh, the (cough/talk menuver) Jammin seems like a good buggy.

I'm still getting my feet wet with 10th scale nitor truck, so I honestly wouldn't know.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Tech Regular

the MBX5 in my opinion is very weak in standard form but the pro-spec has all of the Mugen factory hopups included which make the MBX5 a very capapble buggy
my MBX5 used to break nearly everytime out until i bolted some thick alloy strength in there, the front hingepin holder used to snap regularly & the servo saver plates & front shock towers bend!
once you've fitted all the thick suspension plates, shocktowers etc the car will be a little heavier but the prospec includes titanium turnbuckles etc that are suprisingly much lighter than the steel they replace the pro spec also includes the one piece engine mount that go's some way to reducing chassis flex in the middle of the chassis between the braces as they seem to go a bit bendy in the middle after a while! you'll know when they go bendy as they develop a sudden appetite for clutch bearings due to the inconsistant mesh during the chassis flexing!
i ran one most of last year & liked the car & with al the prospec bits fitted it was very reliable.

you said get a 777, i've got a 777SP1 & to be honest i don't really like it. it has loadsa steering but doesn't feel connected at all to the track, it just seems to get chucked about all over the place, way too twitchy. much preferred the K2 i had as a back up to the Mugen
you should also consider the XRAY XB8 as its quite similar to the Mugen in a lot of the design & you can see this when you look at it but with a C hub front end! better steering than PBS!
the XB8 builds up supremely well & is probably the best kit i've ever built. sorry i can't offer too much in the way of feedback about driving the car as i've only run it a couple of times just to bed it in etc & run in a new Picco P7-R
first impressions are that it turns in well, holds a tight line & rides the bumps fairly well, i'll find out more once its been round Slough a few times

the top 3 are definitely XRAY Kyosho & Mugen (in no particular order ) and any one of these buggys will serve you well, just have a good look over all of them & choose your weapon
Old 12-05-2004, 06:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I have a mbx5 prospec, and the car is awesome, It's basically like buying everything Fioroni or racers edge complete packages and putting on the car, they also changeg a few parts on it compared to the regualr mbx5. Also the car works very well with the o.s. vspec.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I drove my buddies MBX5 and another buddies 777. I honestly prefered the MBX5. It just felt easier to control. Keep in mind that the way it's set up has alot to do with that as well but it all comes own to personal feel. The hobby shop just got the X-Ray in. I would be really interested to see that one at the track. I'll have to wait for a couple of months though.

And the guy with the MBX5 and the other guy with one in my area, in two years, have maybe broken three pieces in total. Not really worried about the durability of it.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I'm running a stock MBX5 and can't see too many reasons to go with a Pro-spec. The upgrades make the buggy stronger but heavier also. I have never broken a single part on my buggy (only 5 races old though...). The important upgrade is the one peice engine mount. It helps to stiffen a weak point in the chassis and makes your clutch bearings last longer.