Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
hpi 4x4 apache sc >

hpi 4x4 apache sc

hpi 4x4 apache sc

Old 11-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't think HPI came even close to "dropping the ball" on these cars. Take a look, the 1/8 SCT market is growing...SC8, Apache, Hobao Hyper 8SC (hopefully it'll be an Ofna too!), and Redcat's SCT. An E-Slayer Pro would probably also fit in, which leaves pretty much only Losi and Kyosho out. Ha!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529
if you really want to run this car under the 10th scale class you could easy do it just swap out the main center chassis from a vorza or Ve8 which would bring the wheelbase to 330mm..

(the cat's out the bag!)
what bout the driveshafts. you might have to have smaller ones
Old 11-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SLODRIVE
I don't think HPI came even close to "dropping the ball" on these cars. Take a look, the 1/8 SCT market is growing...SC8, Apache (who?), Hobao Hyper 8SC (hopefully it'll be an Ofna too!) (let's see if they make it state side first), and Redcat's SCT (seriously?). An E-Slayer Pro would probably also fit in, which leaves pretty much only Losi and Kyosho out. Ha!!!
i'm pretty sure losi and kyosho are ok with that.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

losi and kyosho in the same sentence !!!
Old 11-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

-The Apache is the HPI SCT this thread's about.

-I'm sure the Hyper will make it stateside, the parts are already being produced, so there's no real reason not to. This one would be very tempting if not for the Apache.

-I wouldn't have though much of the Redcat, but I saw one in person, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, not that I would buy one. But it still counts!

Do you honestly think Losi won't mind missing out on this? I'm sure they are paying close attention to this segment, let's see what's out by this time next year. Either way, hate all you want...to each their own!
Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SLODRIVE
-The Apache is the HPI SCT this thread's about.

-I'm sure the Hyper will make it stateside, the parts are already being produced, so there's no real reason not to. This one would be very tempting if not for the Apache.

-I wouldn't have though much of the Redcat, but I saw one in person, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought, not that I would buy one. But it still counts!

Do you honestly think Losi won't mind missing out on this? I'm sure they are paying close attention to this segment, let's see what's out by this time next year. Either way, hate all you want...to each their own!
nah, no hate. i have no brand loyalty. i buy what i like. i am a big fan of the 1/10 4x4 SC class and selfishly i don't want to see it go away. i can see it going away if somebody doesn't step up. at the two tracks i race at, it's 90% losi. that is not a good recipe for keeping a class alive. i was hoping HPI would be the one to step up. i just don't see the SC's being all that fun to drive with big 1/8 scale jumps. i haven't had any issues with parachuting with my 4x4 on 1/10 jumps, but i would imagine i would start to see it with the big jumps on our 1/8 tracks. i already have an 1/8 buggy for those tracks and i think the allure of SC racing (bumping and rubbing with the closed wheel bodies) loses some of it's luster on a large track where you aren't getting that close to other vehicles. who knows? maybe i'm wrong and this thing takes off and i have one in a year...
Old 11-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Dang, another buggy I just ordered. When is it going to stop. My must have is more than my wallet will take, LOL.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

At my local track, it doesn't matter if its 1/8 or 1/10th scale for the class. They just rate it as SC4x4.

I think this truck will be awesome around the track. It has almost all the parts from a D8/Vorza and can be easily swapped out for more performance upgrades.

Should be an awesome class!!! Cant wait for the release.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (98%+)

So when can we expect to see these in stock at lhs's ?
Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

For those wanting a 1/10 SCT racer, maybe something will come from the hot bodies side of things.

As for this vehicle, I am hopeful to see that this will take off. having a vehicle that basically uses the buggy parts other than the chassis may appeal to those who run say 1/8 E buggy and would pick this up as a second class versus E Truggy.

Hell, could see this killing off E-Truggy completely if it takes off and other companies make some. Plus with the added durability, could see some converts from 1/10 4x4 SCT to this.

As for wanting this 1/10 sized, probably could do like that one company is with the XRay buggy, a chassis change and driveshafts? use some Hara parts and stuff to drop the weight so 2S and 550 motor setup could run.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Apache. I really like the slightly larger 1/8 stuff, probably because I have a small arsenal of 1/8 nitros, but am partial to electrics. The Losi SCTE was very tempting to me, but this Apache has me drooling. I have been and will be selling off some of my RC's to pick up an Apache.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
because again, if the truck is aimed at the basher, the chances those bashers will want to race it are slim at best.
????? Really. Most people start out as bashers (even if they dont know it) and then get the race bug. They sell off their first "cheap" purchase to buy a race kit, or mod the hell out of their vehicle to compete. A very small percentage of people just starting out say "I want a race spec vehicle" especially if they have never driven before.

Im excited for the Apache. Mainly because I got into the hobby because of Short Course, but have now added 1/8e buggy to the lineup. So 1/8 SC just makes sense. I agree, get rid of the 1/8 truggies and get this class going. I guess we will find out, it sure is interesting though.

And PS about the size of the Apache SC. Its virtually the same size of the sc8e. Same length and wheelbase. The ve8 chassis would get it closer, but width and 17mm wheels would be the next issue.

Tower says Early January...
Old 01-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default IN STOCK NOW

$550

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBWAN&P=ML

I agree with a of what has been said. Why not come out with a 1/10 4x4? I'd buy one.

Was HPI targeting the Basher market? I'm not so confident that a $550 SCT fits the budget of most bashers. And an SCT is more of a racing vehicle. If you want to bash the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 - HPI Savage Flux - Traxxas E-Maxx or E-Revo ALL fit that bill.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

So they take 3 or so yrs to catch up to the SC8e and launch a competitor, but fit it with the cheaped out Flux 2350 with it's cheaper magnets and stator laminations, undergear it, throw a MMP with it and expect it to last? The MMP has to be drastically undergeared to pull a 1/8 truck around, the SC8e has a 14t pinion on it stock, how low will this be geared?

If you're going to run it stock, I'd get a few dozen fans for the motor, it burns up in the Flux 2350, it ran hot when I put one in a GTP2e and it'll run hot in the Apache.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Sucks that they used a castle system in it.They cheaped out period,no aluminum shocks?Plastic?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.