Wiki Posts
Search

Who here has had a Lipo fire occur?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dragonturbo3
Here is a nice lipo fire, check out the guys reaction (forward to 2:05)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMUlNacA5II
Hey Mike, was that Skeeno's canoe on top? LOWELLS

Last edited by fullsyzz; 11-07-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Fire? What fire, bunch of smoke and yes it go hot enough to melt things but I didn't see any flames....more left wing lipo propaganda if you ask me..
Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Fire? What fire, bunch of smoke and yes it go hot enough to melt things but I didn't see any flames....more left wing lipo propaganda if you ask me..
Agreed ! Some people act like LiPo's are made of C4 .
Old 11-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I have never had an issue with any of my lipos(knock on wood)..but I do come from the days of very tempramental round cells(1200,1700sce)so maintaining lipos correctly is kind of a no brainer to me.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
I have never had an issue with any of my lipos(knock on wood)..but I do come from the days of very tempramental round cells(1200,1700sce)so maintaining lipos correctly is kind of a no brainer to me.
Same here, and after seeing 4600IB cells explode first hand, lipos don't scare me but I do respect them and treat the correctly. It's not that hard, and much less work than NIMH..
Old 11-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've only seen one lipo fire at the track in a car. It was completely user error (lipo wasn't secured and looked like it went into the spur gear after it broke loose from casing a 40 foot triple from about 10 feet up in the air in a truggy). It wasn't so much a fire as an explosion. Straight out of a John Woo movie. Quite spectacular to be honest.

Every other lipo fire at our track has been from nitro guys charging receiver packs on the wrong setting with their cheap ass chargers.

Plenty of ESC fires though, but those have even seemed to have died down since both Castle & Tekin worked out the bugs.

Lipo tech has gotten way more stable and robust so random fires are pretty rare. I don't lose sleep over it.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I used to be pretty scared of running lipo, but i have been running them for about a year now and wouldnt think of going back. I am very cautious with them though. I always charge them in a bag, and store them in a lipo can. Im also always around when i am charging them. I may be in another room, but id never leave the house with one charging. I think they are very safe as long as you dont short them out or over charge/discharge them. I think its best to keep them in a sealed container though so that if anything should happen, then it should contain it pretty well.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

i had a lipo fire in my durango last month. the pin on the centre drive shaft worked its way through the lipo saddle pack (despite loctite & heatshrink to secure it).
yes, there were FLAMES ( could see it from the drivers stand before i saw any smoke) .. and yes, there was smoke. a hell lot of smoke. i was "lucky" it happened in an outdoor track.
it confirmed what i was expecting of lipo fire - intense flash fire followed by thick plume of smoke.

there are no explosion or flying projectile (unlike nimhs) associated with lipos, but the flash fire can be very dangerous (e.g. if it happened on a flammable surface or next to flammable materials).

it's the 1st time i've ever had a battery go off on me. not a pleasent experience and one that i hope none of you will have to go through!

lipos
- handle them with car
- always unplug them when transporting them
- charge them in a non-flammable container (if not lipo sack then something like an ammo box or terracota pot!)
- when charging, keep them away from flammable material
Old 11-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

I had a (known to be recently damaged) lipo go off 5 feet behind me while I was announcing a race just last weekend and while everyone behind me was running somewhat amok, the drivers didn't even realize what had happened until after the race and they asked me what that smell was. It was set on a stone surface since they new something was wrong with it, so only a slight carbon deposit was left where the flame shot out with no real damage; just a nice plume of smoke. I have (unfortunately) been within a stones throw of enough lipos gone bad that it doesn't phase me anymore and i go into autopilot disposing of it. On the bright side, all the failures I've witnessed were from obvious physical damage or wrong charger settings with "do'h!" moments from whomever the pack belonged to.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

To the OP. I wouldn't leave you're lipos on charge in doors and then head off to the LHS.

Maybe it's because I'm a racer, I charge at the track or occasionally just before heading to the track.

Just get more organised and charge them under some sort of supervision. Get a lipo sack if you have to or do it out doors where they won't set fire to something else.

Not saying it's gonna happen, but why risk your home?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M-chassisMark
When you say fully discharged do you mean 0.00v or at cutoff voltage? If its completely dead, then yes it is pretty much harmless. If it is at cutoff, you won't have a problem until you try to charge them, they may puff and possibly burst when you attempt to bring them up. Or, they may have by this time dropped below cutoff voltage, in which case they're less dangerous than a completely dead battery.
sorry to ressurect an old thread.

i always thought discharging a lipo to 0.00v was a no-no.

and what's the solution to a puffed lipo? don't you discharge the lipo enough that you recharge it at 85% (or less) capacity on your charger? not a 100% charge. which would furthur damage the lipo, or blowing it up? or is the lipo done for after it's been puffed?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:34 AM
Tech Adept

[The older cells , 40c and lower I have been able to get flames .....[/QUOTE]

I recently bought Duratrax 5000 2s 20c. Are you saying these are not good?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

[Its a sign your lipos aren't coping with the load. [/QUOTE]

What is meant by not coping with the load?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by coconut
[Its a sign your lipos aren't coping with the load.
What is meant by not coping with the load?[/QUOTE]

means you are running to small of a lipo for what is needed by ESC. normally 20C-25C is to small for a 1/8 ESC and will cause it to swell. 30 to 50C is a good place to start.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Technically it's the motor not the esc that will determine the amp draw a battery needs to be able to deliver. Just don't want any newer people to be confused.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.