Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR22 VS Team Durango DEX210 >

TLR22 VS Team Durango DEX210

TLR22 VS Team Durango DEX210

Old 11-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Funny everyone always compares these two buggies. But from what I have spoken to a few guys, some of them really like the RB5 SP2 WC edition. Say it steers awesome like a B4, more rear traction then the 22 and very stable like most Kyoshos platforms. Durability and quality are hard to argue about when its a Kyosho.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jzemaxx
Funny everyone always compares these two buggies. But from what I have spoken to a few guys, some of them really like the RB5 SP2 WC edition. Say it steers awesome like a B4, more rear traction then the 22 and very stable like most Kyoshos platforms. Durability and quality are hard to argue about when its a Kyosho.
There are very few faults with the RB5... its a great, solid, fast, and planted platform. The only issue a lot of people have with the car, are fragile and expensive rear axles.... that's it. Other then that, it's a hard car to beat.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Cpt. America...How would you rate an RB5 in all of this? Im torn between the dex210 and the RB5. Not sure which to get at this time...
Old 11-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by offroader88
Cpt. America...How would you rate an RB5 in all of this? Im torn between the dex210 and the RB5. Not sure which to get at this time...
The RB5 and the DEX is as close to a toss-up as you can get(for me anyway), on how it feels on the track, precision, build quality, etc. The faults of both cars aren't enough to keep me from driving either one. I still like the DEX more than the RB5 however.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
There are very few faults with the RB5... its a great, solid, fast, and planted platform. The only issue a lot of people have with the car, are fragile and expensive rear axles.... that's it. Other then that, it's a hard car to beat.
Brandon, my only issue with choosing a buggy is I run outdoor 8th scale track loose surface. Not indoor groomed racing. So for me its hard to choose a buggy, other then what will hook up in the loose crap on the track. From what I have been told, the Kyosho WC edition is pretty hard to beat on rear traction outdoor. The 22 seems to struggle and the B4.1 as well. I guess the 210 and RB5 WC will be tough to make a decision on for most folks. I went the 210 route as of yesterday, but I can always send it back...lol. Also as for your RB5, is it the SP2 or the WC edition?? I know from speaking to those guys the WC edition is a big step above the Sp2, as the motor centering, and big bores, plus the front arms being wider really changed the rear traction and stability of the car.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
The RB5 and the DEX is as close to a toss-up as you can get(for me anyway), on how it feels on the track, precision, build quality, etc. The faults of both cars aren't enough to keep me from driving either one. I still like the DEX more than the RB5 however.
Wow. You answered my question in your previous post. Beating me to the punch.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jzemaxx
Brandon, my only issue with choosing a buggy is I run outdoor 8th scale track loose surface. Not indoor groomed racing. So for me its hard to choose a buggy, other then what will hook up in the loose crap on the track. From what I have been told, the Kyosho WC edition is pretty hard to beat on rear traction outdoor. The 22 seems to struggle and the B4.1 as well. I guess the 210 and RB5 WC will be tough to make a decision on for most folks. I went the 210 route as of yesterday, but I can always send it back...lol.
Well, if you go with results in racing on a large outdoor 8th scale track, the losi 22 is king. A couple of guys I race with that raced at the nats against the 22, said they were at a significant disadvantage to it with their AE cars, and the podium reflected that. Its a VERY stable car, and that is why it does well on those really large tracks where being super nimble isn't an advantage.

However, the DEX didn't race there... hard to say how well it would of done on the large track.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Since you have an RB5, have you ever found a set of rear axles that aren't as fragile as the stock ones? (Sorry to get off topic btw).
Old 11-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by fredswain
Since you have an RB5, have you ever found a set of rear axles that aren't as fragile as the stock ones? (Sorry to get off topic btw).
Nope, never had to.. Iv also never broken one myself. But a lot of others have had them break landing the rear end at an extreme angle, and they are expensive!
Old 11-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think if the 2 cars are as close to a toss up as described, the question becomes, what parts are available to you locally, or are you comfortable carrying a parts warehouse with you to the track.

I have a bunch of friends that went to Kyosho, but because we can't get parts anywhere reliably, they were carrying so many spares, and would inevitably break the one thing no one was carrying.

I went with Durango, and again, am carrying a significant amount of spare gear, because the local track doesn't carry the brand, and the closest source is 40-60 minutes away.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

BTW excellent write up captain. Honest and straight to the point!

Anyways coming from being a sponsored driver running the tq cars(team c) I had alot of time into them and i felt like the 2wd and truck were on rails. Fast forward to a 22 i feel like it does require a better setup to get the feel of my old tq car.(mainly sidebite)... The 22 imo turns very well and is very smooth. It rotates very well also but if u follow the 22 thread alot of guys complain about getting good sidebite out of the car. Im not really not y it's a issue but im in the same boat myself but alot of that were build errors and ill see if my fixed problems show on the track this weekend. The durango stuff IMO is very nice. I did have a chance to drive the corr truck and i was very very very impressed. The 4wd looks good(watch jorn follow maifield in A-3 at the worlds) and the 2wd kits looks excellent also. I feel like for now the only downfall is parts support etc. If i were to buy a durango kit i would order 2 right from the start...1 for parts and 1 to build so u don't run into any issue... From what i can see i think you'll be happy with either one. If u choose the 22 route follow the thread here, take your time to build and don't get frustrated if if doesn't work right out of the box.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ya, the 22 looked really lame during nats lol! All 4 buggies are awesome, there is no undisputed king, it's all personal preference. I've seen a traxxas bandit out do all of them on indoor clay. Lol just playen!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

I'll throw in my 2 cents as this is the best "which one should I buy" thread I have seen to date.

I have been hearing that the DEX210 is having breakage issues in the front end, however, that is hear say. I have seen one go around our track, and I can say this, it looked impressive.

With that being said, if you are in the US, I would be very wary of buying a Durango at this point. Knowing how they supported the 410, or rather their lack of support, parts could become your major issue with this chassis.

If you are in the US, you are not going to find a better supported chassis than the 22 or the B4.1....it's that simple.

The 22 to me always feels like it is on the edge, I have driven a few here and there with different set-ups, and to me it always feels like the car is almost there. It needs something...and I'm not too sure what that is. The B4.1 +8 on the other hand is the best feeling car I have ever driven. Before the +8, the B4.1 always felt twitchy and on the edge to me, but with the addition of the longer chassis, the car feels responsive and well balanced.

In the end, it is all about what you personally like. I can tell you that when I started racing the Losi cars were probably more suited to my driving style, but over the years, I have grown in skill and now my driving style fits well with the AE car. Over those years I have seen many people go through every brand of buggy out there sometimes they return to the original, and sometimes not...it is all up to the driver.

Good luck in your choice!!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Owned the 22 and found it very easy to drive and drive hard. Use better quality diff parts and its fine. I also owned the durango 4wd and it was a great drive but required a lot of know how and patience as it did need lots of maintenance.

I have nothing to say about the dex210, lots of people seem to have good things to say but I have read of a few diff issues. But as with all kits some times needs to go by to really see the true potential. And I dont mean by professional racers, I mean by the people that will be running the cars at their local club as thats what most of these kits will be used for. Give any pro any car and it will look good, no matter the brand.

So I think time will tell....as of now people are describing the new rango like its revolutionized 2wd buggy. I dont think so, its the new flavor of the month just like the 22 was. Back when the 22 came out every one was ranting and raving about it and now people are parting ways with it and putting it down and you can find them all over the for sale threads....lol. It doesnt mean its a bad car. Its actually very easy to drive but some people look at it as a bad thing. They all have their shortcomings.

So IMO, Just try to drive them both and see what feels good in your hands. I only parted ways with my 22 because I was out of the game for a bit. I went with a different car recently because the Cougar is now more competitive in dirt because of the dirt spec conversion and Ive always wanted a cougar, so this made the transition easier. Plus the customer service and support is top notch and beats out probably any other company Ive dealt with.

So to wrap up, I think all the cars have something different to bring to the table. Pick one stick with it, learn it and you will do fine. You dont always need the latest kit to be fast. You may feel more comfortable with a certain car, but thats where it ends. After that its all about what YOU will do with it.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
I love how when a new car comes out everyone swears it takes 1-2 seconds off their lap times and the car is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I swear it takes like 6 months after a car is fully released to get the real opinions on a car.

I guess everyone wants brand new and shiny.

All I have found out is that different cars suit different driving styles and skill levels. No one car within the same class tier is really better than the other in the right hands as far as performance is concerned. however, we can make pretty factual judgments about build quality, durability, ec.
You now it's kind of interesting, but if you factor in during the switchover, you are outing to a fresh new build car. They always feel good for the first one or 2 meetings. So I'd kind of imagine going from a 6 month old / 1 year old race car, to a brand new one, it would feel pretty sweet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.