Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Axial EXO™ - 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD Terra Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Have any of you tried the SC10 shocks on this turd?
Old 04-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skinny_j
So I put a set of pro line shocks on my exo running stock exo springs and 35wt front and 40 rear. (running heavier rear because the shock is laid down more with the no bind mod) but I was thinking I might be able to use the stock rear shock shaft as a hinge pin until ckrc crawlers comes out with their ti hinge pins.
I just got my steering bell crank from ckrc. Just got off the phone with them and the ti hinge pins should be in later this week!!! Here is the link to that bell crank:
https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ckrc-al...02-p-4256.html
Old 04-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I stripped and repainted my body. It also has DE Racing wheels for TEN-SCTE and Blockades. The TEN-SCTE offset seems about right. I ordered some TEN-SCTE 4mm turnbuckles to replace the puny 3mm stockers; those should be in today. I will report back if there are any problems with them.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tradin Paint
Have any of you tried the SC10 shocks on this turd?
Im' runnin Losi shocks, a freind runs Blitz shocks, lots of peep running prolines. Just watch the geometry and make it stiff as hell. This thing is a fat pig it could use some big bores Kyoshos but I don't want to use the ones off my SC so that will have to wait.
Originally Posted by dale_gribble
that would look a lot better if you narrowed those front tires up
Old 04-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Here are some pics of the body, still got a few more things to do before its ready for the electronics.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Now that I can finally post pictures, I'd like to share my EXO with you. Some of you have probably already seen these on another board but they may be new to others.

After a lot of back-and-forth between the EXO and the HPI C1, I made my decision to buy the EXO. I really like the looks of the C1, a true class one desert car, but its 1/8 scale size was a turn off to me. Not enough guys in this area to run against/with, and I don't think it will be competitive with 1/8 scale buggies. Also, having seen a few videos, it looks to be lacking in the stability department. I also emailed HPI about a known issue and how they were going to handle it and never got a response .

So, Axial got my business (Tower Hobbies $295 shipped). I was a little leery after reading through the threads with problems EXO's were having but I also read a lot of threads where the EXO was holding up just fine . I do like the looks of the EXO but I wouldn't call it a desert racer. It's more of a sportsman/pre-runner/dunes runner. You don't see too many 4-seaters, except in the sportsman class (and some of those are carrying parts for another car . Regardless, I am very excited to get this thing together and put it to the test. Here I am, 36 years old, and I still get excited like a kid on Christmas morning .

In the car:
Tekin RX-8 (Dirt Cheap RC - Great to deal, great price and fast shipping)
Tekin Pro-4 4600kv (Tower Hobbies - Gotta love coupons)
Savox (LHS)
Pro-Line Power Stroke Shocks (Ebay - Great deal on the set & universal mounting kit.)
-6063-00 Front
-6063-01 Rear

I won't bore you with build pics but I will update this thread with as many cool pics (and maybe video) as I can .

Old 04-07-2012, 04:49 AM
Tech Initiate

The second color has been applied to the body panels and I can already see a new set of panels or Freqe Skinz in my OCD future. I figured I would update this thread while I am waiting to apply the third and final color. I can say, without hesitation, I am glad there is not a step 53 on this build and it is soon coming to an end.

The overall build was fun but very involved. I’ll admit, I only have a few kits on my resume but this one was a challenge. I’m no dummy when it comes to working with my hands and have two ground up builds under my belt in the 1:1 world. There is a lot that goes into this little desert assassin and one missed step, flying E-clip or misplaced screw will have you backtracking and pulling your out your hair in the early morning hours. I will say, every time I started searching through bags, breaking parts from their tree and scouring through the manual, I didn’t want to stop. I was very anxious to watch this car come together, and now I can say, I am almost there.

Take this for what it is as I am no RC expert and don’t claim to be. If you are the type that loses sleep debating whether that bag of leftover parts are extras or if you skipped a step, this build is for you. There are NO extras in this kit. If it’s leftover, you missed something. Maybe a “Bag K” would be nice and it could, at the very least, include an extra E-clip or two and maybe a few of the most common screws. I wonder how many late night curses there were as hobbyists searched frantically for the E-clip that just went soaring across the room. EDIT: My son came into the room to show me his new glasses and I noticed something shiny on the floor; it was that E-clip I lost during step 1. Double Edit: There is a bag of spare parts; it's just not labeled as such and I didn't realized it until the build was over The other gripe is the back-and-forth between parts bags at various times during the assembly. I have never deigned or produced an RC kit, so there may be some rhyme to the reason.

For the most part, I didn’t have any problems (other then that damn E-clip) during the build. The instructions were very thorough and fairly easy to follow along. I think what makes this kit so challenging is its complexity. There is a lot going on with this little car.

After some choice words during a few steps of the build I started to get excited as the car started to take shape. We have all watched the Axial trailer (again and again and again) as this little beast ate up the whoops like Robby Gordon blazing through the wash on his way to winning the Parker 425. Some have followed along with ‘theJang’ as he built his EXO and put it to the paces at his local track. Or others who watched Badger beat his EXO mercilessly on the big dirt jumps at the BMX track. None of that compares to seeing it sit right here in front of me, close to being ready to take on whatever I decide to throw at it.

Thanks Axial, for building a kick-ass scale desert buggy! It is already my favorite RC and it hasn't even seen the dirt.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Here some pics of the car all together . I am going to see what Neil at Freqe Skinz can do for a custom wrap .

Now all I need to do is get it in some dirt. I wonder if I can find any volunteers to drive a new EXO so I can get some action shots .

I know this isn't practical but I love this stance :twisted:

Old 04-07-2012, 04:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Time to get out of the studio and into the dirt. This was an outing to get some good action shots. I had a friend drive the car while I did the shooting. I did get to drive it a little and the EXO is easily my favorite RC. I can't believe how well it handles . Even in the rough, this car is right at home .

Quite a few photos, so sorry if you have slow download speeds .

Old 04-07-2012, 04:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Some more...

Last edited by jocko; 04-07-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Some more...

Old 04-07-2012, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

This buggy is way cool scale looking fun. My neighbor got one. And all I have to say is, what a pain in the a$$ it is to work on. It takes atleast 12 screws to get the body off and work on the actual car. And dog bones, who does that anymore. Have any o you enthusiast tried any CVD's. And to get the battery in and out, oh my gosh, and a suspended receiver, jeez. And no base set up of any sort. One thing I did like was the stop screw to help get the gear mesh, that makes it so quick and easy.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Initiate

I've taken my cage off several times now and it gets much easier. I don't mind having to do it once in a while now. I bought a Sky Lipo 5000mAh 40c 2s batt for mine and it goes in like butter! It is nice! It has direct cables coming out of the case, instead of the bullets that go in and it slides in and can be done in seconds.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My EXO. Just finished the build and made one test ride. As you can see I'm a sucker for box art. Came with my hobby of restoring and collecting vintage Tamiya (which stopped after the re-issues spoiled it for me).

Now have to do some mods on the EXO:

First and foremost the shocks suck. The fronts are (still) OK but the rears are leaking like crazy. I'll try to rebuild but I read all over the thread already many people have issues with them. I tried some spare Hyper SC ones I had lying around but all four are same size so front is too high/back too low now.

I read people use HPI and AE but mostly the PL power strokes.

How about the optional aluminum Axial shocks? Anyone tried them? They are $43 per set and sold out in many places. Including shipping to Asia a full set will cost me 1/3 of the complete car But getting the Proline's or AE's will set me back a similar amount anyway

I was thinking they should fit and handle best since they were designed specifically for the EXO. Please share your thoughts!

The motor (5700kv Castle combo) is getting hot. Added a fan for the motor which is now touching the interior so have to make some holes

The ESC we'll have to see. Probably also getting hot. Unfortunately the HR fan that can be bolted on the sidewinder ESC's is not for sale on Ebay. Online shops charge $16 for the fan and around $20 for shipping

Other than that I'm quite happy with the car. Complaints about putting the battery in I have read... Yes, it took me 1-2 minutes and I cursed a bit but in the end all OK. Guess it just takes some getting used to.

The kit itself was complete and the built was smooth. People complaining about the manual or "confusing bags" I don't understand. Nobody can beat Tamiya instructions and all other brands have their issues. The EXO is the same; just take your time and think before you do and you'll be fine.

The quality of the material is also just fine. This is not a high end carbon super competition pro race monster. It's a fun bashing vehicle and the material is like that. Nothing super good but also not bad at all.

The car is definitely the toy to have for 2011. For those who are thinking about getting one; don't let the complainers change your mind. Get one!

Old 04-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Those are amazing photo's Jock! You have a sweet rig!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.