orion 5000mah 90c!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

orion 5000mah 90c!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 02:20 AM
Tech Adept

Anyone know if Kokam still supplies the LiPo batteries to Orion? Just curious...
Old 10-30-2011, 02:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MooseDrool
The lipo does not way a ton, and Orion does not have a poor reputation. Orion race packs have always been one of the top companies and are some of the best batteries money can buy. The battery is actually lighter than many equivilant mah rated lower C packs. Also, the purpose of the 90c is a lower internal resistance, and the pack stays more consistent throughout the run when the voltage dip under load is less, it makes the car perform better and more consistently. Please, get your facts straight before bashing a company or product.
ORION's bad reputation is a fact here, sorry. I'm not even talking about my personal opinion, as I said I didn't tested them. Look at french forums and search for ORION you'll see. Did you mesured the IR of 90C lipos and compared them to other brands like Hyperion or Thunder Power with lower C rates? I would be happy to see the result.

What I try to say is that a lot of people think the bigger the number is the better the lipo is. And that is simply false. ORION in Europe is about the most expensive brand there is, the price you are talking are for the american market. What about the others?

Brands know what they are doing and benefit from customers lack of knowledge to promise them something they can't prove. There is NO standard to mesure the C ratings so no company can give the proof the numbers are real. Most of debates around C ratings are biased by what people read and repeat without testing the values themselves. Everybody speaks about what is better or worse for everybody, that makes no sense. Customer needs are subjective, and I highly doubt many pilots will ever need 90C. As I said I drive with 82A peak in a 1/8 buggy, how would you need 6 times more?

Last edited by Pulse_; 10-30-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
ORION's bad reputation is a fact here, sorry. Look at french forums and search for ORION you'll see. Did you mesured the IR of 90C lipos and compared them to other brands like Hyperion? I would be happy to see the result.

What I try to say is that a lot of people think the bigger the number is the better the lipo is. And that is simply false. ORION in Europe is about the most expensive brand there is, the price you are talking are for the american market. What about the others?
I have no idea about pricing in Europe, but I have never heard anything about orion having a bad rep unless it is for their RTR electronics or batteries. Orion is used by some of the top drivers in the world, and I myself have used many orion products and have never had a single issue. I currantly have over 8 orion batteries in use and they are all perfect. I have not measured the internal resistance versus a hyperion, but I know the new 90c packs had about 35% less IR when compared to my 45c orion packs, or a reedy 40c.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:56 AM
Tech Champion

A brand that is used by the "top drivers in the world" means nothing to me excepted they have the most attractive contracts for their pilots..
Team C could be world champion too with Jared Tebo or Ryan Maifield driving their cars but that's another story. But you get the point, many people want what the best use thinking it will make them faster/ their car better. I just think it isn't worth it.
The pilots that need the little extra that will give a little better (and expensive) products are sponsored. The others won't notice the difference, so what's the point?
I understand your answers as an ORION sponsored driver, but I'm just a local driver and ORION lipos are crazy expensive here and I have bad feedbacks about them on the tracks. It's just a matter of point of view. I don't trust ORION being real 90C but would be happy to see a guy measure the values and demonstrate the contrary. I heard one of the most famous french driver telling himself these are just numbers. Of course some are inflated/deflated, there is no standard to mesure the C ratings!

Last edited by Pulse_; 10-30-2011 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A brand that is used by the "top drivers in the world" means nothing to me excepted they have the most attractive contracts for their pilots..
Team C could be world champion too with Jared Tebo or Ryan Maifield driving their cars but that's another story. But you get the point, many people want what the best use thinking it will make them faster/ their car better. I just think it isn't worth it.
The pilots that need the little extra that will give a little better (and expensive) products are sponsored. The others won't notice the difference, so what's the point?
I understand your answers as an ORION sponsored driver, but I'm just a local driver and ORION lipos are crazy expensive here and I have bad feedbacks about them on the tracks. It's just a matter of point of view. I don't trust ORION being real 90C but would be happy to see a guy measure the values and demonstrate the contrary. I heard one of the most famous french driver telling himself these are just numbers. Of course some are inflated/deflated, there is no standard to mesure the C ratings!
Hit the nail on the head here.

There is no industry standard for C ratings between Lipo battery companies.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Legend

Default ORION verses the mail order batteries

If you just brought a cheaper off brand 60C , too bad cus you could of had a Orion 90 C...
Old 10-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Its not going to be exactly cut in half due to the way lipos charge using the CC/CV process. It will cut the CC (constant current) portion of the charge in half, but the CV part will be about the same as it was.

You don't start seeing really significant time decreases until you start charge at 3C and higher. I parallel charge 2 5000mah 4S at 3C and those take 18-20 min. Charging at 2C, mine take ~35-40min.

Get a charger that has the highest max charge rate and output power you can afford. 20amps would be a min for high C charging.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I personnaly never tested one
Then why are replying to this thread? Dude asked a pretty simple question and already got the answer he was looking for. I seriously doubt he cares what your philosophy on going fast is and he probably cares even less about your theory on inflated 'C' ratings.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use an Orion pack, 5000 mah, 14.8v 4s, 40-90c i think. Id have to check. The car performs really well, I went with it because it was a hardcase and I was concerned that rules might not allow softcases in RC car races. Haven't raced yet, but if money is an issue, my car also performs really well with the turnigy nanotech 14.8v 4s 5000mah 45-90c battery from hobbyking
Old 10-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TJMac
Then why are replying to this thread? Dude asked a pretty simple question and already got the answer he was looking for. I seriously doubt he cares what your philosophy on going fast is and he probably cares even less about your theory on inflated 'C' ratings.
Right on ,I ran it today and it was great!
Old 10-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm not happy with my 6500mah Orion 90c. Used it 5 times, now it acts like it's LVC'ing after 3-4 laps up and down the street.
I hope there isn't an issue with the SC8 I just put in...ran cheapo Turnigy and no issues at all. I've tried discharging, then re charging.
Cells look good at 4.20, 4.19....still no worky. I would have expected bette for $120 bucks.

Ran fine last race in MMP, sat charged for 2 weeks and now problems. Then again so did every other lipo I own.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by larlev
I'm not happy with my 6500mah Orion 90c. Used it 5 times, now it acts like it's LVC'ing after 3-4 laps up and down the street.
I hope there isn't an issue with the SC8 I just put in...ran cheapo Turnigy and no issues at all. I've tried discharging, then re charging.
Cells look good at 4.20, 4.19....still no worky. I would have expected bette for $120 bucks.

Ran fine last race in MMP, sat charged for 2 weeks and now problems. Then again so did every other lipo I own.
If you are in the US, contact horizon hobby and they will take care of it if it is indeed a problem with the battery. I have not hear of any issues with the new packs. at my locl track there are over 20 orion 90c packs and not one with a single issue. however, products can have faults. Horizon will take care of you though.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Good to hear....I don't mind the china stuff failing since so cheap. It hurts a little more when it's an expensive lipo.

Will call tomm and see what they say
Old 10-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Horizon says I'm screwed....caution if looking at these lipo's.
Expect more for the money...at least a warranty of some sort. :
Old 10-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

^^ that sux!! I was about to dump $120+ on the same lipo, this post saved me some $$. Sorry to hear, hope you get at least some sort or reimbursment from Orion. Venom's lifetime warranty here I come.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.