Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
are max amps batterys worth the money??? >

are max amps batterys worth the money???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

are max amps batterys worth the money???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

I've ran a Max Amp battery there not complete shit but there nothing special, like everyone says there not worth the $100+, I run Only Turnigy Nano-Tech, 45c-90c and 50-100c, 65-130c Lipo's you can buy 1 of each of what I listed for the Cost of one New Max Amps Lipo's. I get about 25 mins run time with a 5000mah in my 2wd Stadium truck and about 15-20 mins in my Losi SCTE. Batterys Balance great and dont puff up or get hot from my MMP/ 3800kv combo not even doing speed runs of 70mph+ like my zippy packs did....

Check Out Turnigy Nano-Tech or at the least Buy the Highest C rating battery that you can afford.

HobbyKing.com Has great prices.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by SLODRIVE
Why on earth shouldn't this thread be here? IMO it's been a very honest commentary from the R/C community about MA's value as a product. It's not like one of their reps can't come on here and defend their pricing...
Try and say bad about Novak or Live R/c , that whats wrong .....

Note :

Nothing bad & wrong bout Novak or Live , great company's, just like Max Amps in fact .......
Old 10-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Rookie

I just won a Maxamps 5250mah True150C pack at my local big race. Tried it outa couple of times since then. For comparison purposes, my other packs are 2+ year old TrueRC 5000mah 20c packs with well over 200 charges (balanced each time) a piece.
The Maxamps pack didnt feel much punchier, maybe a bit, but it is BRAND NEW! I like the look of the pack, the feel of the pack, the quality of the soldering, but if I hadn't won it, I wouldn't have bought one. I just am not impressed. I haven't had a chance to do any time testing yet, but I will.
And, I ran it in both my stadium truck (Losi XXXT MF1 w/ Novak 10.5) and my HPI Blitz (LRP 8.5) on a race track. It has also been run in a stock Electrix MT (not mine) and it wasn't any more impressive than my other lipos there either.
Long story short, I don't believe the hype. But they do look good, and seem to be well constructed.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Tech Addict

Looks like i will just go with the reedys, im sure team associated wouldnt sell anything that wasnt 100%lol " sc10 4x4"
Old 10-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rickybobbyxxx
Looks like i will just go with the reedys, im sure team associated wouldnt sell anything that wasnt 100%lol " sc10 4x4"
Those are only slightly less of a waste of money.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

OK, I guess I will jump in.

Compare and contrast these 2 items then.
Lets use your logic and see what you can come up with.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Off-Road-Buggy

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tion-Buggy-Kit

I will start. They both won worlds.....

This should be fun.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter

This should be fun.
Take the same buggies after a season of racing and tell me that they are in similar condition.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter

This should be fun.
When's the last time you saw a Max Amps pack winning races? You can get a pack for a fraction of the cost that's going to perform much better, that's the issue. When you pay that much you should have a very good pack instead of a mediocre pack.

Both of those are excellent buggies, although with the Kyosho you're paying more for where it's made, but it also has very good built detail and everything fits very well. It might not be worth over twice as much as the other buggy, but at least it's winning races and isn't close to being garbage. You're not going to buy it and feel you're getting scammed, you're still getting an excellent buggy.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I just wanted for people to notice that "where it is made" might have some relevance and see if "winning races" was relevant. So basically if Tebo switched over to maxamps, then it might be justified?

Service plays a part also in my opinion. I know that I can call maxamps. I just did yesterday. Now can I call Kyosho or GensAce direct and talk to someone?

This has been brought up probably 25 times here and I have tried to lay out some scenarios and comparisons in the past.

Personally I have no horse in the race, but it always seems like there is a motive behind each one of these threads when they get started.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
Take the same buggies after a season of racing and tell me that they are in similar condition.
the hot bodies will still have anodizing on its parts
Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Beat the horse some more... Specifically with the Graph here:
Attached Thumbnails are max amps batterys worth the money???-discharge-curve.jpg  
Old 10-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigshades
I am always wondering why no one has done a simialr chart for team orion, TP, Reedy, and those big $$ packs.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by NSLST
I am always wondering why no one has done a simialr chart for team orion, TP, Reedy, and those big $$ packs.

why because of $$$
Old 10-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bigshades
I disparaged the graph last time, but since we are beating a dead horse, I will do it again.

Jang built a battery discharger using lightbulbs that draw approximately 30 amps. Everyone used to use these on nicads because you had to drain the batteries completely down and 30 amps was the approximate pull of a 1/10 motor and esc back in the day.

The issue is that the battery discharger does exactly that. 30 amps of current draw. No more, no less. So basically, ANY battery will produce similar results.

It is like filling an aquarium with coca cola, kool aid, and then water and draining it with a garden hose and comparing results. The answer is the garden hose ability to drain water at a given flow rate, not that kool aid, coke, and water have varying amounts of sugar.

Edit: there can also be other variables such as solder connections, connectors, etc... that can skew results.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

to each his own Buy MA if you want.I personally will be happy as a clam with the 3 gens packs I have that have the same retail value as 1 MA pack.As for customer service, If I have a problem, I send them back to hobbypartz , and they ship me a new one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.