Wiki Posts
Search

dumb question about reverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default dumb question about reverse

heres a rookie dumb question. when I raced when i was much younger i remember hearing that the cars with reverse were slower as far as racing went. theoretically i could see a nitro car being slower if it had reverse on it. but will that effect electric. reason i ask is my family and myself are deciding to get back into racing, and one of the cars we have right now is a b4 with a tekin esc. since its been over 12 years since any of us ever raced, and some of us never offroad(only clay oval), reverse will be usefull for a few months. I know already sometimes i have spun out and im stuck against the side wall because there was no reverse. we just changed the settings on the RS to have delayed reverse. Will this have any effect on the speed of the car? even though my driving is pretty rusty i would like to start racing as soon as i can just to get the practice.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Tech Addict

NO it wont. U can't use reverse in racing but at the track practicing it is very useful. I laugh when the nitro guys have to run down of the drivers stand every time they can't reverse... :P
Old 10-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

okay thanks!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

To my understanding, on brushless escs, there is no difference. I believe the reason they used to say that is that brushed escs needed separate fets for reverse, and unless there was an esc with a ton of fets, you'd usually end up with fewer for forward on a reversing esc and more resistance.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Having reverse in an electric R/C will not make it slower. You cannot use it in races because it causes more crashes and creates confusion with the turn marshalls.

It is very useful in a bashing setting and a practice session if there are very few cars on the track.

Glad to see another family return to R/C!! Be careful though, there are so many cool options you will easily spend ALL of your money:0