Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brush Motors

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 09:36 AM

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Brush Motors

How do you know when you need to change the brushes or clean them or whatever you do? What do you do? When do you do it?

Thank U
Old 12-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

There are many different schools of thought when it comes to brushed motor maintenance.

I prefer to take the motor apart, clean it, true the comm and replace the brushes. I do this every 2-3 runs with stock motors at local races and every run at big races (usually replace the brushes every two runs at big races). Orion Revolution and Trinity Cobalt motors (as well as the new Checkpoint motors) can go much longer, as much as 15 runs or longer.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

one guy at my track runs his motor until it feels like it has a drop in power/preformance....I would do that, but I don't want that drop to be in the middle of a race...so I run around 8 runs with my stock motors. For club racing, my brush/spring setup is also pretty conservative so I can go for a while between cuts.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:35 AM

WOW that often. i have never done anything to my motor and i have run it like 30 times. not in a race but like practice. it dosent seem to loose any power or anything. is it hard to clean a motor?
I just have some cheapy motor because i have not raced my truck yet but when i start racing i will get a better one.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Try the Orion Revolution (Peak Vantage is the same). Everyone has switched to these in my area and some complain that they don't even run their best until they have 10-15 runs on them. These are 10-12 turn motors too. There are conversions available for stock motors but I hear that the brush setup just isn't as fast in stock.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

With today's very hard stock brushes, they beat up the comm. Back in the day with softer brushes, it wasn't uncommon to go 20-30 runs without cutting the motor.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

As far as cleaning.....I always spray out the motor with motor spray after every run. I take out the brushes and wipe them off with a towel to get the glazing off, then while they're still out, I spray the motor from the bottom and let it run down the comm and out the endbell....then spray the endbell straight on. After that, I go to the air hose and air dry it. Reinstall the brushes and and I'm back for round 2.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

I ALWAYS take the motor apart before cleaning it. There's no way I'm gonna let any brush/comm shavings find their way into the bushings or brush hoods.

I don't touch tbe brushes with anything either..no comm stick, no towel, nothing.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:20 AM
Tech Master

Every run i just pull apart my motor clean it out with motorspray,clean the comm with an eraser,clean the brushes,brush hoods and oil it up and my motor has lasted me for ages and i still havent seen a performance drop ohh and the brush serrations are still visible
Old 12-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Aaron,

you know what I think of your motor cleaning idea....%(!*!)#@*%)!*$*%%*$#(#)^*@!@*$(!!!!!! yeah, thats right.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Duratrax - Same with the brushes, I don't like the idea of using anything on my comm, especially not an eraser or a comm stick. You have the potential to push the comm out of round, and rubber doesn't exactly conduct static electricity.

mafia - I only learn my habits from watching the best motor builders (and TC racers..they're dialed when it comes to motors) build and maintain their equipment.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:28 AM

OK today after school im going to ATTEMPT!!! to clean an old motor i have. I dont want to practice on the one i use!!
hopefully its not too hard