Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gearing changes and throttle EPA

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Gearing changes and throttle EPA

Ok i been wondering this i just changed my gearing on my RC8TE to a 50/16 gearing setup i was using a 50/16 im still using 87% throttle epa with the 16 t pinion and i like the way it runs. But should i make my throttle epa higher when using a bigger pinion ?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I believe it's not a good idea to use the EPA to limit the power of an ESC.

You should either gear down if you think it's too fast, or use the Castle Link to set up the current limiter or turn down the timing or lower the punch, I forget what castle link uses to tame the system.

-Tony
Old 10-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by RacerX20
I believe it's not a good idea to use the EPA to limit the power of an ESC.

You should either gear down if you think it's too fast, or use the Castle Link to set up the current limiter or turn down the timing or lower the punch, I forget what castle link uses to tame the system.

-Tony

Well i like running the 16t pinion because it tames the torque down its a lot smoother i tried 100% never again thats to much power with a 15t also

I could increase my epa to about 90% for a little more top end maybe.

I limit it for runtime also i run with 1/8 nitro truggys.

Last edited by tc5 man; 10-23-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Ok i been wondering this i just changed my gearing on my RC8TE to a 50/16 gearing setup i was using a 50/16 im still using 87% throttle epa with the 16 t pinion and i like the way it runs. But should i make my throttle epa higher when using a bigger pinion ?
Try ajusting your throttle expo instead, this will smooth out the trigger yet still give 100% power for the straights! It really works well for me! Mandatory!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Jstall7543
Try ajusting your throttle expo instead, this will smooth out the trigger yet still give 100% power for the straights! It really works well for me! Mandatory!

um ok il try that during practice time my throttle expo is about just 1+ i believe so i whould try negative expo . Ive tried adding more expo before and omg it was like a shotgun lol.

Will the runtime still be the same though ?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

um ok il try that during practice time my throttle expo is about just 1+ i believe so i whould try negative expo . Ive tried adding more expo before and omg it was like a shotgun lol.

Will the runtime still be the same though ?
i believe because its less punchie under accel with -10% or less due to the smoother lower end curve that because thats when amp load is the largest that it would increase runtime SLIGHTLY.

i actually believe because your lowering your epa that its actually making your motor have to work harder through the midrange and causing excess heat.

if your trying to lower the bottom end you will definately need negative throttle expo. throttle epa is top end. i would not suggest going under -15% expo tho, if you feel you need more negative expo then that you should try a lower kv motor

picture of what expo does:

Old 10-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Jake S
i believe because its less punchie under accel with -10% or less due to the smoother lower end curve that because thats when amp load is the largest that it would increase runtime SLIGHTLY.

i actually believe because your lowering your epa that its actually making your motor have to work harder through the midrange and causing excess heat.

if your trying to lower the bottom end you will definately need negative throttle expo. throttle epa is top end. i would not suggest going under -15% expo tho, if you feel you need more negative expo then that you should try a lower kv motor

ok the motor does get warm but since im running a nitro truggy body with plently of holes it helps but i do get what your saying about the motor having to work harder

So -5% to 10% should be the limit ?

One good thing is my lipo never got hot enough to puff.

I love the 2200kv motor.

Well i will try the expo than.

Thanks for the chart i understand it.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

So -5% to 10% should be the limit ?
-10% "or less" means more negative, i always start this adjustment at -10%, then adjust about + or - 5 in increments of 2
Old 10-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

run your throttle curve on your esc to look similar to the decreased line in the above post with a less steep starting off slope with a 15 tooth pinion.

the lower pinion will give you faster response in air and out of the turns. you can always tame the power of a lower pinion with the throttle curve and your motor temps should go down rather dramatically after this.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Spencer!
run your throttle curve on your esc to look similar to the decreased line in the above post with a less steep starting off slope with a 15 tooth pinion.

the lower pinion will give you faster response in air and out of the turns. you can always tame the power of a lower pinion with the throttle curve and your motor temps should go down rather dramatically after this.

Well i whould have to ask somebody at my track if they have a castle link system to do that because i cant get my to work on my computer.

Im going to just try messing with the expo first one thing at a time.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

if the castle link will not work and has never worked since you installed it on a windows based computer....right click the setup install wizard and click run it as an administrator. If you do not do this it wont accept the install
Old 10-25-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Why would it be bad to limit the throttle EPA as long as you are using the correct gearing? I do this on my brushless MT to help make it more controllable and it really helps. Its no different than just using 3/4 throttle or so all the time.

I do need to play with the EXPO on my transmitter though. Thats one thing i havent tried out yet.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

A question I would like answered as well. How is limiting your EPA different, than not using full throttle. I have a a few persons claim that limiting EPA is bad for the motor, shouldn't half throttle be just as bad for the motor as well?

Or am I missing something?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Lowering the epa will make the esc run hotter. Call castle and they will tell you the same thing. Basically it makes the fets work harder because they are switching all the time even at wide open throttle. Best thing to do is alter gearing, expo or current limiting.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod
Lowering the epa will make the esc run hotter. Call castle and they will tell you the same thing. Basically it makes the fets work harder because they are switching all the time even at wide open throttle. Best thing to do is alter gearing, expo or current limiting.
Has anyone ever actually experienced the esc running hotter? I know if I under gear my car, either the motor or esc will run hot. I've always limited how fast my car could go for the track conditions with EPA and haven't had a problem, even in 8 minute mains. The only time I did have a thermal shutdown on a SpeedPassion Club Cirtix was when I was grossly undergeared

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.