Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Carpet Off-road Thread >

Carpet Off-road Thread

Like Tree434Likes

Carpet Off-road Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with Kultar, it's always a good idea to make sure the track you're going to run at will have replacement parts WHEN you break something(& I say that because we ALL break parts, even the best drivers in the world, & it sucks when you break a part that you can't get locally & would have to stop for the day & wait for parts to arrive before you can run again, I know because I've gone through it with my Tamiya buggies before). Also, it's good when there are other drivers at a given track that run the same buggy as you, so if you need setup help, it'll be readily available. That being said, I have driven the XRay XB2 carpet version(in direct comparison with my Associated B5m Factory Lite & Tamiya TRF211XM), & I do find it very impressive, definitely carries a lot of speed & settles & accelerates from jumps VERY quickly. If I were to start from scratch, I'd definitely have it on my short list....
Kultar likes this.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Anyone know if the Schumacher premounts offset is suitable for the B5M/B6 platform?
Old 04-15-2017, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

Yes the premounts fit the b6 just fine I run them on mine.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins sr
Thanks
Old 04-16-2017, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins sr
Yup, same here, I have the front premounts & my rear ProLine Pinpoints are on Schumacher wheels, they fit just fine.....
Old 08-06-2017, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK, how about internal shock limiters (spacers)? I have grip rolling and too much roll in the corners which slows me down. I have 2mm or 3.75mm spacers. 2mm in just the front? 2mm all 'round, or 3.75?

I'm sure it's the way to go, but wondering if i should start small at the front and see what happens?
Old 08-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Questions??

The limiters restricts up travel in the shocks.
Experiment with sway bars instead.
you need the full travel in the shocks/springs to do their job.
IF you have traction roll,that is a different story.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldernoob
OK, how about internal shock limiters (spacers)? I have grip rolling and too much roll in the corners which slows me down. I have 2mm or 3.75mm spacers. 2mm in just the front? 2mm all 'round, or 3.75?

I'm sure it's the way to go, but wondering if i should start small at the front and see what happens?
Watch your car when it rolls. Most at my local track have the same three issues. Too much rear side bite or too thin of oil on the front shocks or ride height is too high. If the front is diving in the corner and outside front shock is collapsing then you need to thicken up that front shock oil
Old 08-06-2017, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Questions??

Originally Posted by Juicebox315
Watch your car when it rolls. Most at my local track have the same three issues. Too much rear side bite or too thin of oil on the front shocks or ride height is too high. If the front is diving in the corner and outside front shock is collapsing then you need to thicken up that front shock oil
GOOD ADVICE!
It's complicated. There is a LOT of tuning involved here.
Just pay attention to your car and WHAT is going on in turns.
Tail kicking around? Over steer? Under steer? Spring rates and ride height is a big deal.
Shock limiter DO have their place.
Testing/results.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:24 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mnracer
Anyone know if the Schumacher premounts offset is suitable for the B5M/B6 platform?
If you see them running at EOS then Schumacher wheels either fit(AE,Yok,Shumacher)
or there is a hex to make them work(xray).

Schumacher premounts are the handout for all EOS events. That's why you
will never see a Losi 22 because of there wonky offset wheels. 22-4 can use
2wd fronts.

Now that's not to say there is not a whole LOT of offset changing going on
with hexes.

1/8 scale standardized there offset along time ago and its time 1/10 did the
same.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ddd228
The limiters restricts up travel in the shocks.
Experiment with sway bars instead.
you need the full travel in the shocks/springs to do their job.
IF you have traction roll,that is a different story.
Yep, i have traction roll. Already running 550 CST oil and 4.0lb springs up front. I have an anti roll bar at the rear. The car noticeably rolls in the corner and all others run pretty flat (and fast - they aren't wasting time as the chassis leans).

There are some small kicker jumps and a tabletop, the rest is fast and tight carpet.

The car is nearly there, but i know that it's the chassis roll slowing me down in the corners (and fear of rolling-1 roll and i'm at the back!)
Old 08-08-2017, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Questions?? Traction roll.

Originally Posted by oldernoob
Yep, i have traction roll. Already running 550 CST oil and 4.0lb springs up front. I have an anti roll bar at the rear. The car noticeably rolls in the corner and all others run pretty flat (and fast - they aren't wasting time as the chassis leans).

There are some small kicker jumps and a tabletop, the rest is fast and tight carpet.

The car is nearly there, but i know that it's the chassis roll slowing me down in the corners (and fear of rolling-1 roll and i'm at the back!)
I did 5 seasons of Ozite carpet racing in the stadium truck class and I KNOW what works.
if you can install an anti-roll bar in the front,you are golden!
If not,you will need a higher spring rate in front. On my Associated T-4,the highest spring rate (3.9 #) was not enough! We ran DOUBLE front springs!! No,really.

8-10 pounds spring rates? It's possible.Sedan springs may work for you as well. 14.5 pounders,but they are quite short.
Also,don't be afraid to run your shocks UPSIDE DOWN. Makes a lower CG and spring changes a snap.You still need the shocks to be able to have their full travel-I never used limiters inside.
Add more negative camber AND caster to the front.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)
Default Questions

I have two questions on running on carpet.

On my B6 When should a guy consider running a sway bar front and rear. Our local carpet track is a reasonably small track with the green tight weave outdoor carpet.

I picked up a B64 to try out and I stopped by the track today and picked up a pair of Schumacher Wide Stagger Rib to run on the front Do you run any foam inserts in these or just mount them up like the regular Schumacher fronts I run on the B6 2wd buggy.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

Run foam inserts on 4wd fronts.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)
Default foams

Ok I'm guessing with the wider fronts use the Schumacher "Tubby foam inserts not the Schumacher Slim foam inserts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.