R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree7Likes

Old 11-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Theres also a Vega kit for the B4 and the centros c4.1 kit comming out in the future. They give the car a whole new feel, more steering without sacrificing rear grip. The motor on the 22 is too far forward so you lose a bit of rear grip with it, but the xfactory kit is absolutly planted, on dirt included, we had a local running nose to tail with TLR's Dave Henry with his xfactory on an outdoor clay track and his car was dialed, and its very fast on carpet as well. There is definitly no lack of grip with mid motor. Some people prefer the feel of one car over the other, just like some say car x is better then car y, they're all equal, just a differant feel.
Great Hobbies, Hobbico, Skyrc, Exotek
rcjunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #32
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

With the 22 buggy out and the 22 truck on the way im sure its just a matter of time before ae builds something similar, until then I will stick with my t4 and b4 and even then im not sure im ready to buy into the mid motor trend. Don't get me wrong the 22 looks good on the track but in the right hands the b4 will keep up just fine. On a side note I was watching a video from another track here in PA and one part of the tracks goes up the wall, it looks pretty cool and I wouldnt mind giving that a try.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #33
Tech Addict

Schumacher yellow Mini Pins usually last 3-4 race days for me depending on the track (B44 with 6.5t).
I am not a 2wd guy but I have heard that the rear motor setups work a little better on US style tracks with big jumps on dirt surface. Mid Motor has been used extensively in Euro cause the tracks are different (astro turf and much smaller jumps). Rear motor setups put the power down better on looser surfaces. Thats not me talkin', just what I have heard.
AMain 4WD same track....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQL0hBgaq3c
morati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #34
Tech Addict

4WD Buggy at our old track which has now closed down. This was an awesome track to run on.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM44RSZ34eA
morati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #35
Tech Elite

mini pins last about 4 nights here (13.5 2wd buggy) I try to make them last longer as I'm broke but there is no way for me to pull off a fast lap, I just need a couple good clean runs, but catching up can be difficult, I think I'm on week 5 or 6 on my tires and will try running them for another couple weeks and slap some fresh shoes on for our big race November 11-13. I think I'll be trying tire sauce this week to get a big more life out of them.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For our carpet track, I really like gold v1 bar codes for the rear and I was happy with m3 scrubs in the front. This is on my rear-motor 22
TWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #37
Tech Adept

Green compound goosebumps work great on my b4 at the local track, tire life is about 6-8 weeks which isn't to bad. Holeshots worked great also but would be bald in about 4 weeks. It the other way around for my t4, holeshots last and goosebumps dont. Go figure
Old 11-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

i like the going up the wall idea, only thing is someone might just drive up through the ceiling. I like that and a crossover and weird jump sections where you would have to pick to double double or triple single and different combos of that nature, but most guys cant do them or do them consistently end up wrecked and get ticked.
I also hate the pyramid type landings... they are a double so you have to clear the gap, not so if you mess up you dont face plant it.

For all your graphic design needs.
CobraGraphics.net
Ostach24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #39
Tech Elite

we had a wall ride when we ran dirt. Wth the big race, I know there will be alot of new stuff, theres talk of a cross over (with clear plexy glass over it) and a wall ride. With dirt, the highest anyone ever got was about 6 inchs from the ceiling, wide open down the strait with a 6.5 in a 4wd just too see how high you could go, but we're in a tall ceiling building, it was probably 20 feet up The biggest issue we have is jump durability, we use 1/4 hardboard to make round jumps but nose diving into them on the triples we make eventually creates issues, we cause use contact cement and make it 3-4 layers think but it would be very heavy and time consuming. How do other tracks do it?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #40
Tech Elite

we use peg board with braces. and wow only 20 ft ceiling and you still couldnt hit it??? surprising with that motor. i feel like that thing would shoot like 30-50 feet in the air, unless the sweep was super steep. our ceiling is about 10 ft so we gotta watch. That fast cats track looks sweet. like the double single idea

CobraGraphics.net
Old 11-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #41
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostach24 View Post
i like the going up the wall idea, only thing is someone might just drive up through the ceiling. I like that and a crossover and weird jump sections where you would have to pick to double double or triple single and different combos of that nature, but most guys cant do them or do them consistently end up wrecked and get ticked.
I also hate the pyramid type landings... they are a double so you have to clear the gap, not so if you mess up you dont face plant it.
I agree, the wall ride would take some self control so it didn't get out of had. I think you would have to keep an eye on the younger kids to. I think the only thing keeping us from having bigger jumps is storage, meaning someplace to put the jumps for Sunday oval.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

"Cross overs" are great if:

1 - Everyone in your club has good car control and never crash
2 - you like blind spots
3 - you have excellent marshal's

...from what I've witnessed, they are great in theory, but a headache in practice!

Wallrides can be fun, I'm in the same club as Junky, and our wallride was pretty good - a lot of noob's got caught on the middle pipe when they did not give it enough gas or were too timid to take it - a tough spot to marshal once again - but it can be done. We kept guys from running straight up to the ceiling by nailing a lip (1"x1"xtracklane width) made of wood to the top of the wallride, you hit that, break an a-arm and you'd flip back onto the track
EB48SL/RX8/TekinT8i/Hitec7599/SMC4500(4S)
Grasshopper/Tekin FX/Twister 27T/FutabaS9551/Speed power
HeavyD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #43
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD99 View Post
"Cross overs" are great if:

1 - Everyone in your club has good car control and never crash
2 - you like blind spots
3 - you have excellent marshal's

...from what I've witnessed, they are great in theory, but a headache in practice!

Wallrides can be fun, I'm in the same club as Junky, and our wallride was pretty good - a lot of noob's got caught on the middle pipe when they did not give it enough gas or were too timid to take it - a tough spot to marshal once again - but it can be done. We kept guys from running straight up to the ceiling by nailing a lip (1"x1"xtracklane width) made of wood to the top of the wallride, you hit that, break an a-arm and you'd flip back onto the track
We have a few guys at our track the bring there young kids with them so the crossover may be a bit difficult for them. The wall ride might be doable but still might be more trouble than its worth.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #44
Tech Elite

we only had about 20-30 feet of strait to get up to speed on a loose dirt track, they can only hold so much momentum. The biggest issue wa marshals. there was a 'teardrop' that also went up the ramp a little bit, but if you hit it, you fell into on comming traffic, if you don't want your car there, imagin a marshal trying to help your car, they unded up changing it so there was only a little bit you had to really go around, so you could go wide or cut it almost flat, it made marshaling much easier. the biggest issue was if ou messed up, you couldn't get grip to go up it. With us now running carpet our great track designer/ race director/ kinda like a big deal mx guy will have something planned for our big race (only about 2 hours from the NY boarder, 10 hours from Michigan if anyone wants to come up)
Old 11-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #45
Tech Elite

yeah the thing about the cross over... we had a young kid (6-8) come over after karate practice just to look at the place while we were setting up the new track and took my buggy and was easily making it over the cross over. even less experienced drivers were making the cross over fine. the more experienced ones who wanted to go as fast as they could had the most difficult time with it.

CobraGraphics.net