Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to HPI's awesome customer service? My experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default What happened to HPI's awesome customer service? My experience

I just called HPI because I wanted to know about chassis replacement on my VE8. I have an outdated chassis on my car and the stupid thing cracked last weekend racing. So I asked a rep over there about it and he said there is nothing he could do about it. I know HPI/hotbodies replaced outdated chassis with updated chassis for other people no problem in the past but I guess HPI/hotbodies is leaving VE8 owners in the dust now. Kind of frustrating becaus ethe VE8 is a great buggy and I really dont want to get rid of it but I do need the company that I gave my hard earned money to back me when I need help.

I also asked about the servo saver issue and told him that my servo saver needs constant cleaning or it gets locked up. He said he hasnt got any complaints about this situation from other customers. (plenty of posts on this website about the issue) I asked him if there was a fix for it and he said he didnt know of one. I asked if the Vorza steering assembly would work on the VE8 and he didnt know.

HPI/Hotbodies used to have great customer service.....I guess they just dont care anymore. That or they have a trainee or someone that doesnt know too much answering the phone over there. Either way Im not too happy of a camper right now. I feel like the company Ive supported ever since my first nitro Rs4 just doesnt care anymore. Sorry for the rant but Im at work and dont have anyone to vent to.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Suspended

Never heard of any rc manufacturer that was in the business of giving away updated products, chassis plates or otherwise.
Never heard of one either that replaces products customers have broken. Plastic breaks, that doesn't make it faulty.
It's also been my experience that customer service reps have little technical experience, they answer the phone; next time you might ask for the tech department.
"Customer Service" doesn't involve allowing you to "Have It Your Way," and I think you're confusing HPI with Burger King.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Yeah. The two times I have called HPI, and HB, have sucked.

Guy didn't know the dimensions to the 2200kv flux motor bearings the first time, or any specs at all.

The HB motor mount for the VE8 was discontinued from Amain, and my LHS. The guy kept telling me that I could buy it from the HB website.

The Savage XS guys have been having customer service issues too. ESCs blowing, and diffs stripping.

I sold my Vorza and my VE8, and switched to Associated. Couldn't be happier.

@kaycrc? They have been GIVING out the V2 chassis for anyone with a V1 VE8 chassis since they have been upgraded with reinforced and thickened in some places. The V1's could break off of a small jump.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Customer service and tech support are the same phone dial option on their automated phone system. Back in the day Hot bodies took care of the faulty plastic chassis no problem. I went through them with my first ve8 and they immediately sent out the updated chassis.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

not the fisrt time ive heard of HPI having cvrappy customer sevice. There company is struggling to keep up i think . to me its a bad sign when they start running hobbywing electronics .just my .02
Old 10-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

They started running hobbywing electronics?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

That's why I switched from hot bodies/hpi to AE. Sorry tom
Old 10-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Definately some frustration there and we all hate to hear that.

A few things from a long time HB user/supporter.

* The updated chassis was running change a while back. If you suspect that you have a V1 chassis: I would call back and ask for a supervisor or team leader.

I would be prepared to ship it back at your expense requesting that if it is a Version 1 chassis that they send or discount a new one.

Now depending on how old the chassis it may be the updated one and accidents happen and breaking stuff is the cost of racing.

* Vorza Servo saver is not a replacement just an option part that is available. It does have a seal. If you are running on tracks that require routine service of those components then that is an option. It is a good practice to check and clean the std servo saver.

Slash * The stock and One piece motor mount is available at many places. It is not listed as discontinued at Amain. Just listed as limited quantities in stock. Why is that an issue?
Old 10-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

That's weird, I just got off the phone with them and I complained that my tires wore out too fast and their sending me a completely new buggy, next day air! Lol
Old 10-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mickeymouse93
That's weird, I just got off the phone with them and I complained that my tires wore out too fast and their sending me a completely new buggy, next day air! Lol
Old 10-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

willbe - Ive owned a VE8 before and know the difference between the V1 chassis and V2 chassis. My original VE8 came with a V1 chassis and it was no problem getting the V2 replacement from hot bodies. I guess I could call back and ask for a manager/supervisor but cmon I shouldnt have to do that. hot bodies knows of the issue and shouldnt hesitate to fix it. The situation should have been handled the first time I called. Now I sit here with a cracked V1 chassis and a bad taste in my mouth thanks to a customer service represenative that knows nothing about anything. If that happened in the field Im in my company would be losing millions of dollars daily.

As for the servo saver Ive only run both my ve8's on clay and clay/dirt or whatever you want to call it gets in the servo saver and pretty much locks it out which means your servo is a ticking time bomb. The servo saver design on HB cars is a poor design and should be addressed. I find it funny that HB put a new covered design on their bash oriented 1/8 scale RTR buggy but not on there race oriented D8 hara edition. Blows my mind.

after thinking about my options Ive decided I dont want to deal with anymore of HPI's customer service because to tell you the truth I just cant handle anymore stress at this point. When I get paid Im going to buy a HHH or tekno v4 chassis. I know both tekno and HHH offer awesome customer service so I shouldnt have a problem with them. Heck I would have probably got better customer service from hobbywing if they made this car lol