Community
Wiki Posts
Search

novak vs castle brushless

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:23 AM
Tech Adept

Default novak vs castle brushless

I am looking for a new brushless motor for my rustler. it takes a 540 motor looking for something to run on and off road race against friends, jump it, rip it, beat it to death LOL my body being held together by packaging tape and duct tape shows I like to beat it. I have a castle mamba max pro esc takes a sensor or sensorless motor. and I have 5000mah 2s 40c batterys. looking between the castle Castle Creations 1/10 SCT 4-Pole 1406 6900KV Motor and the Novak Ballistic Racing Brushless Motor 6.5T/6400kV

the castle creations is a higher kv motor but the novak is a better built brand atleast I think and I see rebuild parts being more available. the novak is sensored, the castle is sensorless. any info will help im a noob at brushless i was running the 20T stinger till about a year ago then got a 10T and was running that till it started giving me issues and now ready to step up.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

nocak and castle as far as quality both are good neither is better than the next, That being said I am a castle guy, if you want it to be fast i recommend a 1406 series 5700 or a 1410 3800
Old 10-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 223 (100%+)

Given the information you provided go Castle all the way, novak was great back in the day but they are not with out much quality issues now. We see one novak ESC blow up every race here
Not trying to bash novak, I swore by my M5's

All around castle is a much better bashing Motor. You will find the sensorless 4 poles motors work great for your needs and honestly a 6900KV is insane and likely give you heat problems.. 3800kv is a monster and 5700 would be uncontrollable.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Manatarms25
Given the information you provided go Castle all the way, novak was great back in the day but they are not with out much quality issues now. We see one novak ESC blow up every race here
Not trying to bash novak, I swore by my M5's

All around castle is a much better bashing Motor. You will find the sensorless 4 poles motors work great for your needs and honestly a 6900KV is insane and likely give you heat problems.. 3800kv is a monster and 5700 would be uncontrollable.
It's a QC issue. Most, if not all, RC electronics' contract manufacturing is done in China, that being said, it's up to Castle and Novak (and any other manufacturer) to be testing it and filtering out and working out issues they may have with their design/manufacturability.

But we all gotta understand, no matter how astringent the QC is, a few may fall through the crack, it's just the way things are...

But there are companies that does NO QC and it's obvious (*cough* Venom).
Old 10-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 223 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
It's a QC issue. Most, if not all, RC electronics' contract manufacturing is done in China, that being said, it's up to Castle and Novak (and any other manufacturer) to be testing it and filtering out and working out issues they may have with their design/manufacturability.

But we all gotta understand, no matter how astringent the QC is, a few may fall through the crack, it's just the way things are...

But there are companies that does NO QC and it's obvious (*cough* Venom).
A few I understand and I am not trying to create a bashing thread as we all have our opinions. Giving what ridinloudprod is looking to do with the motor my opinion is that a novak sensor-ed motor will not be his best choice. The 4 pole motors of castle seem to take much more abuse as a sensor-less motor can run hotter. Not to mention it has plenty of torque with the 4 pole design.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

so go with the castle 6900kv just set it to around 80% enless if im going to race someone or want to just do a couple speed runs?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Imo the 6900kv motor will be too much in that car i have the 5700kv in my rustler and it rips pretty good pulls wheelies and does about 40 on 2s. Ihave it geard 18/86 and the motor gets hot but not hot enough for any concearn.i get about 20-30 minutes of runtime bashing on the street and probably 40 on a track due to not being able to open it up. I have been considering putting a smaller pinion on to get it to run a little cooler. So if i were you id look into less kv, because as it sits mines pretty fast on the street and too fast on the track
Old 10-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the 4 pole 5700 is a good basher motor, I just put one in my SC10 and it's plenty fast... especially with really good batteries. I have a 6900 in my on road car but it's direct drive and about half the weight. I don't know if I would go that high kV in a gearbox car that's getting bashed, probably both on road and off. My son has a 5700 2 pole and it gets hot when he beats it. My car runs much cooler and has more grunt off the line if geared the same, it's noticeable.

I have a brand new MMP that will go in my next offroad project, most likely with a low kV torque monster like a 1415 on 3 or 4 cells. It looks like that may be the key to speed and cooler running electronics.

Can't comment on Novak but I was thinking a SC10 4x4 with a Ballistic 550 ...
Old 10-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

yeah I wish I would of done more research before I bought my batterys and got a higher battery instead of 2s. Yeah I think im go with the 6900kv If its 2 much ill get rid of it but ill like to know I have the power IF i want it LOL
Old 10-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

If you have any type of question about what kv to run in your truck and want to run a castle motor. just call them.

I called them today and learned a lot about the motors.
the 4600 I see a lot of people run in there 4x4. per Castle was not meant to be ran in a 4x4.

learned there is no difference from a Sidewinder V2 or SCT same as a MMP Race MMP sct.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't count out the Castle 1410 3800kV motor. It's a BEAST on 2s and you can gear up a ways before it runs hot.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

castle 3800 for bashing I have novak sensored, tekin sensored, and castle 3800. For racing in my opinion tekin, then novak then castle for bashing castle all the way.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Tech Adept

Well guys thanks for the info, I just won a castle 6900KV for $57 shipped off ebay. ill play with that for a little bit then will most likly sell it with my 2 2s batterys and go for a lower KV with a some 3 or 4s lipo's
Old 10-11-2011, 11:14 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Wow a 6900 4 pole in a Rustler. That is a ton of motor. I race my Blitz ESE with a 4600 4 pole from Castle and need to turn the power down to make it works good for on the tracks I run on. The 6900 will be plenty fast and overkill for pretty much everything you do. Thats alot of power you just bought.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Manatarms25
A few I understand and I am not trying to create a bashing thread as we all have our opinions. Giving what ridinloudprod is looking to do with the motor my opinion is that a novak sensor-ed motor will not be his best choice. The 4 pole motors of castle seem to take much more abuse as a sensor-less motor can run hotter. Not to mention it has plenty of torque with the 4 pole design.
No worries, I understand from a consumer point of view that we spent our hard earned money and we expect the product that was advertised to us...

I'm a manufacturer as well, so I try to keep customer service as best as possible, however, focusing on quality will keep the need for customer service to a minimum!

I've recently (well almost over two years ago but I've been away) started to look at Hobby Wing products. I really like their ESC and motors, they are decent.

Ofcourse, if you have the cash to spend, my favorite brand is Castle... I have two of their systems, both in my AE vehicles, and they do not disappoint... Their products has always been solid from my point of view... Also, their tweaking software is wonderful (except they don't support 64-bit systems )

I would definitely look into the 4600Kv/5700Kv Mamba combos for the Rustler. The 4600Kv is a solid motor... The 5700Kv can be a handful...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.